Pics from my '22 Southwest Bike Trip | GTAMotorcycle.com

Pics from my '22 Southwest Bike Trip

Jason Bourne

Even though I don't live in the GTA anymore I thought I'd share some pics from my big road trip this past May in 2022. Maybe it can give some ideas on where to ride if you find enough time to make the trip.

I left from Northeast Georgia at the beginning of May and was on the road for 14 days. I rode almost 9K kms, through 12 states, visited 5 National Parks, experienced dust storms and 100 kph wind gusts, dodged tumbleweeds, stayed off the interstate, and only had one day of rain (the first day). This was a bucket list ride for me.

Always wanted to check out Roswell, NM.
IMG_6672.JPG

Checked out the International UFO Museum.
VOJU1847.JPG

Days would run a little longer than planned. Trying to beat the sunset in "Elk" country to Heber, AZ. Something about riding towards the sun as it's setting is a bit surreal and calming.
IMG_6884.JPG

Took it easy in Winslow, Arizona.
IMG_6927.JPG

I always though that the Grand Canyon would be over-rated. I was wrong. IMHO it's something that everybody should see once.
IMG_6995.JPG

I stayed in a lodge in the park and enjoyed 4:20 with this view.
IMG_7009.JPG

My favorite view of the trip was hands down Horseshoe Bend near Page, Arizona.
IMG_7259.JPG

I've always wanted to ride to Utah for as long as I can remember. So glad that I did.
IMG_7268.JPG

Did an early morning hike in Zion, NP.
IMG_7394.JPG

Caught the sunset in Zion as well.
IMG_7537.JPG

Zion is definitely my favorite NP that I've visited.
IMG_7567.JPG

Bryce Canyon isn't too far from Zion so I spent a day there as well.
IMG_7589.JPG

The hoodoos are super cool.
IMG_7613.JPG

I rode a horse to the floor of the canyon.
IMG_7668.JPG

I ate at local diners and stayed away from chain restaurants.
IMG_7748.JPG

Had to get a pic at Monument Valley (Forrest Gump Point). Lots of sandstorms that day which you can notice in the distance.
IMG_7792.JPG

Second favorite NP has to be Arches.
IMG_7824.JPG

Did another morning hike to check out the Delicate Arch - the most photographed arch in the world.
IMG_7986.JPG

Checked out Canyonlands NP since it was nearby but it was less awe inspiring especially considering everything else I've seen until that point.
IMG_8033.JPG

Northern New Mexico is full of smaller mountains and a mix of desert and forested terrain. Definitely makes for a nice ride.
IMG_8179.JPG

After doing a two week ride to Colorado in 2021 riding around the Smoky's doesn't compare anymore so this year I'm planning on doing 16-days out west which will include Joshua Tree, PCH, Big Sur, Sequoia NP, Yosemite, NP, Lake Tahoe, Death Valley NP, Hoover Dam, and Valley of Fire.

I remember Zion being magical when I went there in my early 20's. One of my other fondest memories of that trip was riding at dawn through the Az desert. The sun shining off those colourful rock faces was something I'll never forget!

Awesome tour and pics, thanks for sharing.

Can you share some details about your ride? I am curious about your seat, how was it for long days. Also what bars are those. I'm looking to get something like that which is straight across and removes the bend at the wrist. Not sure if I can with my fairing setup though. (have an electraglide with batwing fairing)

I remember Zion being magical when I went there in my early 20's. One of my other fondest memories of that trip was riding at dawn through the Az desert. The sun shining off those colourful rock faces was something I'll never forget!
Riding in the desert is definitely something else. Especially at dawn or dusk.

Awesome tour and pics, thanks for sharing.

Can you share some details about your ride? I am curious about your seat, how was it for long days. Also what bars are those. I'm looking to get something like that which is straight across and removes the bend at the wrist. Not sure if I can with my fairing setup though. (have an electraglide with batwing fairing)

My seat was modified by Mean City Cycles. They "lowered" it so there's not a lot of padding there but I would use my Airhawk every couple of hours which made a huge difference.

The bars are by West Coast T-Bars. After having apes on my Street Glide I went to t-bars for comfort. They're only 28" across so they're super comfortable. I'm pretty sure I've seen some StreetGlides out there with t-bars so it should be doable. You may want to contact WCTB and Lucky Dave's to confirm.

I have more information on other parts of my bike on IG @livefastrideharder

Thanks for sharing. I wanted to do the southern states last summer, but the heat down there didn't appeal to me and i had already been on the road for two months.

Beautiful pics ... Road Glide rode like a champ the whole way?

Great pictures. On the first pic I momentarily thought it was Million $ Bogan who thinks his HD is an adventure/dirt bike, but I quickly surmises that it wasn't him because it didn't have scratches, dents and a windshield held in place by bungee cord.;)

I can appreciate the horseback riding scene. Looks very safe and inviting. Obviously not the trail (maybe they closed it since I went) at the Blue Angel Lodge which is a trail with a sheer cliff drop off of 1 km. The guide leading the ride said he lost only one lady in the 10 years he was leading. She saw a snake, screamed at the top of her lungs, spooked the horse and it bucked her off. She unfortunately did not land on the narrow trail.

Yeah excellent pics ..lots of memories. Grand Canyon is awe making.
Fit in our 20s we did down S Kaibob ( very steep and narrow - still have a few flashes of that ) trail then up Bright Angel in a day leaving at 5am....hardest thing I've ever done...was surprised to hear from my first wife who was a downriver kayak athlete at the time that it was also the hardest thing she had done ( despite a mountain summit in S America ).
So grabbed a T-shirt saying I climbed the Bright Angel and sent it to her when current squeeze and I were there a few years ago.
So different now from the 70s.

Agree Arches was excellent, Bryce and Zion just superb ...the US does its National Parks proud.

There is a special on those Parks narrated by Obama that might trigger a few trip bucket lists.

Great pictures. On the first pic I momentarily thought it was Million $ Bogan who thinks his HD is an adventure/dirt bike, but I quickly surmises that it wasn't him because it didn't have scratches, dents and a windshield held in place by bungee cord.;)

I can appreciate the horseback riding scene. Looks very safe and inviting. Obviously not the trail (maybe they closed it since I went) at the Blue Angel Lodge which is a trail with a sheer cliff drop off of 1 km. The guide leading the ride said he lost only one lady in the 10 years he was leading. She saw a snake, screamed at the top of her lungs, spooked the horse and it bucked her off. She unfortunately did not land on the narrow trail.
Lol. The trail included sheer cliffs as well which is a bit unnerving as the horses like to wait until they're on the edge before turning in but nobody died so it was all good haha.

I started another thread about renting a bike in Vegas for a week and then visiting my sister in AZ. Your insights will be much appreciated. I'll be PMing you

Back
Top Bottom