Pickup truck vs trailer vs van | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Pickup truck vs trailer vs van

I've been thinking about getting one of these but I am guess you can't tow them empty? I would only really use it when buying bikes so a one way trip home.

How long does it take to set-up curbside? How much cheaper is it than the advertised price?

I've also been looking at these which look like a HF copy. Ideally I would store it in my shed but I can see myself being entirely too lazy to fold it up and actually get it in there.

www.htstrailers.com or the freedom trailer model that goes on sale at costco sometime...

I knew someone was going to ask me the price, had to go look up my receipt. They charged me $1,299 + HST and $12 tire tax in January 2019. I believe it was advertised as the same price ($1,499) at that time so presumably it would be the same. Best to check with them.

Yeah you probably wouldn't want to tow it empty - I didn't try. However that goes for any lightweight trailer. I towed my previous Kendon trailer (which is a really well built, high quality trailer) back from dropping off a bike for service once and it bounced around like crazy. Being able to collapse it and throw it in the trunk is a nice feature. Just don't expect to carry a lot of other stuff back there, its bulky.

I'd say you can assemble it by yourself in 10-15 minutes. Faster if you've done it a few times and know the routine. Having a second person definitely helps cause some of the pieces are heavy. It's definitely not my favorite thing in the world.

Backing up with any trailer is a pain but you get better with practice. Trailers like this with a short tongue / the closer the wheels are to the tow vehicle are especially challenging as any little move sends it off on an angle.

I towed it behind my motorhome mostly and a few places there wasn't enough room to back it up and I had to unload the bike first. A couple times I tried unhitching the trailer with the bike still loaded and it was easier to maneuver by hand than I thought.

Edit: I forgot they have a video on their site, it's pretty accurate. Biggest PITA is fishing that cable through the frame.

Last edited:
I knew someone was going to ask me the price, had to go look up my receipt. They charged me $1,299 + HST and $12 tire tax in January 2019. I believe it was advertised as the same price ($1,499) at that time so presumably it would be the same. Best to check with them.

Yeah you probably wouldn't want to tow it empty - I didn't try. However that goes for any lightweight trailer. I towed my previous Kendon trailer (which is a really well built, high quality trailer) back from dropping off a bike for service once and it bounced around like crazy. Being able to collapse it and throw it in the trunk is a nice feature. Just don't expect to carry a lot of other stuff back there, its bulky.

I'd say you can assemble it by yourself in 10-15 minutes. Faster if you've done it a few times and know the routine. Having a second person definitely helps cause some of the pieces are heavy. It's definitely not my favorite thing in the world.

Backing up with any trailer is a pain but you get better with practice. Trailers like this with a short tongue / the closer the wheels are to the tow vehicle are especially challenging as any little move sends it off on an angle.

I towed it behind my motorhome mostly and a few places there wasn't enough room to back it up and I had to unload the bike first. A couple times I tried unhitching the trailer with the bike still loaded and it was easier to maneuver by hand than I thought.

Edit: I forgot they have a video on their site, it's pretty accurate. Biggest PITA is fishing that cable through the frame.

Thanks. I appreciate the detailed response. It looks like the way to go from the amount of times I'd use it. U-Haul trailers are cheap and great but it's nice to be self sufficient when good deals pop up. Cheers

Thanks. I appreciate the detailed response. It looks like the way to go from the amount of times I'd use it. U-Haul trailers are cheap and great but it's nice to be self sufficient when good deals pop up. Cheers
There's always the PA folding 4x8. Less than half the money, can survive outside for more than a decade (but it will be ugly), fold up to ~5'x2' if you can spare the space in the garage.

There's always the PA folding 4x8. Less than half the money, can survive outside for more than a decade (but it will be ugly), fold up to ~5'x2' if you can spare the space in the garage.
They still sell them? I had a quick look the other day and another look now and didn't see it...

They still sell them? I had a quick look the other day and another look now and didn't see it...
I bought mine in the states 11 or 12 years ago and had no issues importing my "trailer parts". Obviously covid complicates purchasing that way right now. They often go on sale too. They have a heavier one if you want to carry more weight. It is not a great trailer but it is an entirely acceptable trailer for the money. It is heavy for one person to fold and moving it around while folded is dodgy but if it is only happening occasionally, it is a great feature to free up tons of garage space.

I bought mine in the states 11 or 12 years ago and had no issues importing my "trailer parts". Obviously covid complicates purchasing that way right now. They often go on sale too. They have a heavier one if you want to carry more weight.

Yeah I would definitely go HF if the border was open. I'm in Stoney Creek and miss popping across for moto/tool purchases.

I think the ones in my post are actually HF trailers just repainted or something. The website mentions that they come with instructions in the box(s) but don't use them - use ours instead.

I've been thinking about getting one of these but I am guess you can't tow them empty? I would only really use it when buying bikes so a one way trip home.

How long does it take to set-up curbside? How much cheaper is it than the advertised price?

I've also been looking at these which look like a HF copy. Ideally I would store it in my shed but I can see myself being entirely too lazy to fold it up and actually get it in there.

www.htstrailers.com or the freedom trailer model that goes on sale at costco sometime...

I've towed mine empty on the 401 when I was too lazy to break it down and just wanted to GTFO.

This video is about 4 minutes. I don't bother fishing the wiring through the tubing, I just run it along the rail after the bike is on. But I also have my own wiring and LED strip lights after the stock lights broke (mine is the original model):

I don't bother fishing the wiring through the tubing, I just run it along the rail after the bike is on.

Now kicking myself that I never thought of that lol

I had the HF trailer for a couple years, did one big trip with it. Felt flimsy and rickety. Also took up a lot more space in my garage than the trailer in a bag. Yeah it's cheap, but usually you get what you pay for. I've read some guys weld it together instead of using the supplied nuts & bolts, that would definitely help. I don't have the equipment or expertise to do such a thing.

Kendon trailer is the absolute Rolls Royce of trailers keep an eye on the classifieds they come up for sale now and then, but it won't be cheap. I sold mine when I got the trailer in the bag but I kinda wish I'd hung onto it. Doesn't take up any more garage space than the HF trailer.

On the other hand HF can be used as a utility trailer if you need that type of thing.

Now kicking myself that I never thought of that lol

I had the HF trailer for a couple years, did one big trip with it. Felt flimsy and rickety. Also took up a lot more space in my garage than the trailer in a bag. Yeah it's cheap, but usually you get what you pay for. I've read some guys weld it together instead of using the supplied nuts & bolts, that would definitely help. I don't have the equipment or expertise to do such a thing.

Kendon trailer is the absolute Rolls Royce of trailers keep an eye on the classifieds they come up for sale now and then, but it won't be cheap. I sold mine when I got the trailer in the bag but I kinda wish I'd hung onto it. Doesn't take up any more garage space than the HF trailer.

On the other hand HF can be used as a utility trailer if you need that type of thing.
The Hf trailer is ok, definitely not great. That being said, I have done many trips with generous yards of mulch and one trip with an excessive amount of brush/trees (~8' deep, suspension flattened) and it pulls surprisingly well and didnt do anything unexpected. Obviously as the weight goes up I try to keep the speed down.

I found this chart and got out the tape measure. A sport bike will fit in the back of a ProMaster City no problem. https://image.slidesharecdn.com/201...key-new-mexico-texas-23-638.jpg?cb=1428708749
VW has an interesting offering. I thought it was a fan render but apparently it's actually happening. We'll probably never see it here though. Lowered by 30mm from the factory, diesel, not ugly.

Transporter T6.1 Sportline

Volkswagen-Transporter-T6.1-Sportline-F-660x330.jpg

Volkswagen-Transporter-T6.1-Sportline-1.jpg

VW has an interesting offering. I thought it was a fan render but apparently it's actually happening. We'll probably never see it here though. Lowered by 30mm from the factory, diesel, not ugly.

Transporter T6.1 Sportline

Volkswagen-Transporter-T6.1-Sportline-F-660x330.jpg

Volkswagen-Transporter-T6.1-Sportline-1.jpg

Very nice, but I agree we will not see it here.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Back on the original topic ;) if you need a trailer for occasional use and storage is a concern you really can't beat a single rail trailer like the Trailer-in-a-bag. It's actually a bit cheaper than the price you see there if you pick it up at their factory in Cambridge. I fit the entire thing in the back of my hatchback.

+1 for the Trailer-In-A-Bag.

Had one when we lived in a condo. When disassembled, the whole trailer fits into two large duffle bags.

We had the two-bike version, which could be assembled into a single trailer as well.

DSCN9079_new-X2.jpg

Trailered the bikes to Deals Gap, and when everyone was trying to find a parking spot for their trailer, we just broke down the TIAB and stuck it in the back of the SUV.

Very versatile.

Back
Top Bottom