Pickle Lake to/from in 5 days. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Pickle Lake to/from in 5 days.

PrivatePilot

Ironus Butticus
Site Supporter
So, been talking a little bit about this one in a few other threads. Friend and I left early Thursday morning and did the trip....back at around 10:30PM last night, 5KM short of 4000km total, and a heck of an adventure. Thought I'd post a thread for anyone looking for a good long in-province option this summer.

IMG_3894.jpeg

6AM at McDonalds in Whitby getting coffee and heading out. Bike still nice and clean. ?

Didn't take many photos through the first day as we had just over 1100 KM to cover so it was a fairly steady day aside from brief fuel and food stops.

Bumped into @MacDoc a few hours north of Toronto as he was headed off on the same trip albeit at a bit of a slower schedule than us.

IMG_3902.jpeg

The stretch between Sault Ste Marie and Thunder Bay is one of my favourite all time roads in the province - it's easy to forget you're still in Ontario sometimes.

IMG_3904.jpeg

We spent the night at the "Coachhouse motel" in Jackfish Ontario - claim to fame, it's one of the places Terry Fox stayed during his run. Spotlessly clean, awesome super friendly owners, and comfortable beds with 4 pillows. Slept great after a long day. The next morning we soon discovered what I had anticipated would be a problem - finding places to eat. We left the motel and made the 15 minute ride over to Terrace Bay where there was some restaurants, but everything was closed tight. Made a call to the "Hungry Moose" 15 more minutes down the road and got an answer but it sounded like they weren't actually opened yet but when I told the lady we were hungry travellers she said her hubby would get things turned on. We arrived and although it wasn't much to look at, it was a great breakfast and the owner was a nice down to earth fellow.

Day 2 was 850KM or something in that range. Again, a fairly steady day but we did stop for a quick lunch and a visit to the Terry Fox monument in Thunder Bay - a great tribute to a great man. Sadly all the services and bathroom were locked tight but they did have a nice clean porta potty at least in the parking lot.

IMG_3906.jpeg

We arrived in Pickle Lake around 8PM. We were back 1 timezone so it was actually only 7PM and daylight until nearly 11PM our time due to the west and north destination. There was a First Nations checkpoint about 45 minutes south of Pickle Lake asking where you were headed - all indian land everywhere is under heavy travel restrictions right now due to Covid. When we told them we were headed to Pickle Lake versus anywhere else we were sent on our way with a smile and a thank you.

IMG_3933.jpeg

Ironically we saw hardly any police for the entire first half of the trip, but we got pulled over 5KM south of Pickle Lake (Look in the mirror of my friends Spyder in the pic below). 2 very nice (& very young) female OPP officers told use we were speeding but didn't give us any tickets once we got off to chat with them roadside.

IMG_3932.jpeg

They asked us why the heck we'd come to Pickle Lake of all places as a destination - we told them it was all about the adventure and the half joking suggestion "We've been everywhere else", and specifically because it was the furthest north you can ride in Ontario on paved roads. It was at that moment that the officers informed us that they'd paved another 40KM north and the asphalt no longer ended at Pickle Lake. I facepalmed myself so hard they both laughed...so who knows, maybe that's why we didn't get tickets LOL. They asked if we would be riding to the end and we said "probably not". We never did. Made it to Pickle Lake, all good. ;)

IMG_3956.jpeg
You know you're in the north when there's Cree on the road signs. ;)

The motel was "interesting". It wasn't the Hilton, that's for sure, but it was serviceable and mostly clean. AC worked which was good as it was freakishly hot for the north - the locals were dying in the heat. Lots of construction crews staying in town as they were doing a ton of infrastructure work on the highway leading into town.

IMG_3924.jpeg

(Continued in a reply...only allowed 10 photos per post...)

Attachments

• IMG_3909.jpeg
    IMG_3909.jpeg
    116.6 KB · Views: 21
IMG_3959.jpeg

So, the hotel.

There was 2 options in town - the Winston Waterfront Inn, and the Pickle Lake Motel. We opted for the Winston as it looked to be in a quieter areas of town (less potential for our bikes attracting any attention) and that turned out to be a good decision.

winstonblur.jpgIMG_3909.jpeg

IMG_3924.jpeg

Pickle Lake itself in the background.

IMG_3934.jpeg

The restaurant at the Winston was closed however so the only food choice was at the Pickle Lake Hotel about a 5 minute walk through town.

picklelakeblur2.jpg

Food was decent...for where we were. Friendly staff.

Called it a night and slept meh. Could use some upgrades on the beds, that's for sure, but the bikes were untouched anyways. It seems that the Pickle Lake hotel was a bit of a hangout for a lot of people in town so I was glad we were up the road.

IMG_3921.jpeg

MNR encampment. Not sure what for but 75% of the population of the town had to be here alone.

IMG_3947.jpeg

A beaver in the wild. Lots of sport fishers up here normally I guess but tourists seemed drastically outnumbered by the construction and MNR people when we were there - probably a godsend considering the tourists certainly didn't/couldn't come this year.

Had breakfast at the PLH again the next morning (like it or not) and we packed up and headed out of town. Gassed up (only regular available, my bike didn't particularly like it as the previous owner had a rideability tune flashed onto it that causes it to need 90 octane minimum) but I added my 9L of Premium from my Jerry Can to dilute it, refilled the Jerry Cam with 87 again just in case (fuel was sparse on the 300km stretch of road leading into town) and hit the road.

IMG_3964.jpeg

First bear spotting. Was walking square down the middle of the highway until we stopped and then strolled into the bush.

Saw several moose, foxes, ptarmingan and a few other interesting critters during the trip.

IMG_3987.jpeg

Took the drone up and snapped a few photos of Highway 599. Pretty desolate territory aside from roads here and there headed into reserves, all of which were clearly marked that outsiders were NOT welcome into.

(Continued in next reply...)

IMG_3995.jpeg

Stood in the middle of the road for 10 minutes and never saw another person/car.

Didn't take a ton of photos for broad swaths of the rest of the trip honestly... Day 3 we went to just outside Nipigon.

IMG_4002.jpeg

Went to the top of this tower. Almost became a nope as despite being a pilot (and heights not bothering me there) this was a different ball of wax being all glass at the top. Made it. It's higher than it looks. Nice view of Nipigon and area though.

8BAACC10-4B2E-4E30-854E-8911CDC54EB2_1_105_c.jpeg

birchville.jpg

Spent the night at the Birchville Motel. Again, spotlessly clean room and super awesome lady running the place. Biker friendly, we were handed wash rags when we were checking in, but both our bikes were far too far gone with caked on bug splatter to even contemplate trying to get them clean by that point. Nice gesture regardless for riders.

IMG_4003.jpeg

Stopped at this cool gorge/generating station we found via one of the "Scenic area" signs on the TransCanada.

IMG_4017.jpeg

Back into the scenic vistas north of the Soo.

We'd contemplated taking the fabled 101/129 Highway back across from Wawa but when we looked at the realities of the distances, times, and how the weather (HOT) was beating us up we decided to save that for another adventure...so we backtracked down to just east of the soo on St. Josephs Island at a little motel there.

IMG_4024.jpeg

Clean, friendly staff again, and vintage (but neat) rooms. Felt like I was back at our cottage again in the 1970's. Loved it. AC was a bit weak and the room was soupy hot when we arrived so it took a few hours (and several cold beers) to nurse us to sleep.

Next day we hoofed it from there, found breakfast on the island itself at a little place the locals obviously frequented. Picnic tables under some nice shade trees, decent breakfast. Bad coffee though.

IMG_4034.jpeg

Considered trekking a little ways up Highway 129 just to get a "taste" and then coming back down but we had to be at the ferry dock by 2PM and there wasn't going to be enough time unless we got up way earlier than we wanted. Opted for a non direct route around Manitoulin instead which turned out to be pretty boring after the fact.

Got on the ferry. Masks mandatory.

IMG_4044.jpeg

Ferry ran perfectly on time. Got off, hoofed on it again aside from a quick dinner stop and fuel.

Home at 10PM.

LOTS of bugs on the bike. The picture makes it look way better than it actually is. ;)

IMG_4051.jpeg

Already planning the next adventure. ;)

I've been up and down the Red Lake Road to Ear Falls - northwestern Ontario has beautiful country (if you don't mind the bugs) LOL...

Hoping someone who's taken the 101/129 will chime in as it looked positively epic in some of the photos I saw. Gotta think it's good when the articles clearly mention "The road does not adhere to most MTO grade and curve guidelines in many areas". ;)

But had we gone that way we'd have had to add another day to the trip realistically.

Plus not having done it gives me an excuse to go back up there again. I'm actually batting around a 6-7 nighter with my wife and perhaps some friends in late August actually - up to Wawa via Sudbury, 101/129 back down, Manitoulin island/ferry home. Short version of this trip above but with a much slower pace.

Epic splatter, doing your part to cull those pests.

What is that 3 wheeled contraption in your midst? ?

In all seriousness some of those are really cool.

It's hard to get the level of splatter to stand out against the paint colour, but holy crap it's thick lol.

IMG_3967.jpeg

IMG_4053.jpeg

And this is after a 10 minute rain storm north of the soo on our way north softened up and removed a good portion of the splatter from the first 800km or so LOL.

I even found splatter on the leading edge of my top box - they were coming in from all angles. Thankfully my windshield and the flip-up did a good job of keeping most of them off my face with a few Cessna sized exceptions.

Friend was on the Spyder. Former 2 wheel guy who is now on 3. ;)

Nice ride and nice pictures. Thanks for sharing.

.then looking for an interesting way to meander back home...I'll try 129 south and see what it's like...thanks PP...looking forward to it

Awesome. Do take photos and share with the class LOL.

Reactions: J_F
The southern part of 129 (south of hwy 556) is one of the best roads in ontario. The northern part is straight and boring.

I did it 4 years ago when I ringed Superior. Very isolated. It not a bad option as you can really move.

if I recall it’s not all that well marked so the corners can be a bit deceiving.

If your an Ontario traveller its on the do list.

Thanks for sharing. Looks like a good ride. Did you have motel reservations?

Are your friends camera shy, PP?

PrivatePilot. You did better with food in Pickle Lake and much better with critters tho a fox today and a couple of deer added to the total. I found the heat oppressive even when riding. Amazing you could do those distances...must have been the MotoSKiveez ;)

The Spyder looks like a great ride for this kind of trip. I gather it handled to trip just fine.
I've had no luck weather wise travelling in Northern Ontario. Always been cold and rainy when ever I've gone.
Clearly you didn't have those conditions!

I’d like to know about the motel reservations too.

Also...this new stretch of 40kms of road....where does it go to? What’s there? I can see it on Google maps ok.

Back
Top Bottom