People still hunt elephants?? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

People still hunt elephants??

That's when I get my hunting license...way more sporting.

Should be, cuz sometimes they have guns too, and they shoot back

You can. Several African governments have payed Mercs in the past to kill poachers.

You can make about $200K a year if you are good.

There are legal elephant hunts which infact help prevent poaching and maintain a healthy population.

Hunters pay in the 10's of thousands for the hunt.

Older bulls are harvested in OVERPOPULATED areas, occasionally problematic elephants are also harvested.

Meat goes to local villages (which prevents them from poaching)

Tusks/$$ from hunters goes to local villages AND to elephant conservation organizations to help protect and sustain populations.

When conducted right, ethical and legal elephant hunts much like duck hunting here in Canada are a win-win-win.

There are legal elephant hunts which infact help prevent poaching and maintain a healthy population.

Hunters pay in the 10's of thousands for the hunt.

Older bulls are harvested in OVERPOPULATED areas, occasionally problematic elephants are also harvested.

Meat goes to local villages (which prevents them from poaching)

Tusks/$$ from hunters goes to local villages AND to elephant conservation organizations to help protect and sustain populations.

When conducted right, ethical and legal elephant hunts much like duck hunting here in Canada are a win-win-win.

Weren't they on the brink of extinction a few years ago?

Weren't they on the brink of extinction a few years ago?

It's a geographical thing.

In South Africa (which has been mentioned here already, I think), local conservation efforts have been so successful that culls have been necessary to maintain reasonable numbers (keeping elephants away from people, and people away from elephants - coexistence?)

If you're REALLY curious, then you can read this.

Elephant populations are fragmented, and many of them have been extirpated (and sometimes reintroduced) all around Africa over the years. In some countries they're at the brink, and every African country has different regulations.

Back
Top Bottom