PC help | GTAMotorcycle.com

PC help

wonderings

I have a PC I bought from Canada Computers about a year ago. I am starting to upgrade the components inside. I replaced the GPU and the PSU with no problem and have run well for 3 months or so. I wanted to upgrade the CPU next, so I researched and looked into what I can install. The socket is LGA 1150. I purchased an i7-4790K to replace my i5. When I installed the new processor and heatsink and started up for the first time, the fans all whirred for a brief moment then shut down, this repeats over and over till I pull the plug. The CPU fan does not spin. Not sure if I had done something wrong I went back to the old processor to test and see if the machine would still boot. It booted normally with the heatsink from the new i7, which spun up and ran normally. I am assuming it is a bad CPU. Is there anything else I should check? My motherboard does support the processor, I pulled out the battery that was on the motherboard for an hour and put back in before booting. This is the fist time I have ever replaced a CPU so not sure if I am missing anything.

You probably know this already, but if the CPU is newer than your board, look for a BIOS update, install it and try again.

Is it a name-brand computer or a custom build?

If your BIOS is already up-to-date and the fan isn't coming on after you've reset to BIOS defaults, the CPU is prolly bad.

Try taking it back to the store and having them test it on their bench.

You probably know this already, but if the CPU is newer than your board, look for a BIOS update, install it and try again.

Is it a name-brand computer or a custom build?

If your BIOS is already up-to-date and the fan isn't coming on after you've reset to BIOS defaults, the CPU is prolly bad.

I did check for BIOS updates before I did anything. There is no updates for the board, gigabyte brand. It shows the processor I bought listed as a supported processor. Just going to take it back and try a new one. I am pretty sure it is just a bad CPU, just want to make sure I cover my bases in checking everything first.

It's been years since I built my last PC, but I remember Gigabyte being less reliable and more finnicky than Asus and others. Wouldn't surprise me if your board just doesn't like the CPU. But I'm a bit out of the loop, so never mind me.

Did you clear your CMOS?

*nevermind, just re-read you pulled the battery*

Last edited:
It's been years since I built my last PC, but I remember Gigabyte being less reliable and more finnicky than Asus and others. Wouldn't surprise me if your board just doesn't like the CPU. But I'm a bit out of the loop, so never mind me.
gigabytes website lists the i7 cup I installed as compatible with it. hoping it is just a bad cpu and not a finicky motherboard, I do not want to replace that right now.

What is a jumper?

Removing the battery should be sufficient to clear the CMOS.
Jumper refers to closing a circuit by connecting pins. Think of it as a manual/physical on/off switch that you toggle by placing a small piece of plastic covered metal to join 2 pins.

I think what cruisin girl meant, was that you might have to toggle the jumper on the mother board to force the cmos to clear.

Removing the battery should be sufficient to clear the CMOS.
Jumper refers to closing a circuit by connecting pins. Think of it as a manual/physical on/off switch that you toggle by placing a small piece of plastic covered metal to join 2 pins.

I think what cruisin girl meant, was that you might have to toggle the jumper on the mother board to force the cmos to clear.

Exactly, I've seen some cmos stay over 24 hours or longer, I think the battery these days is for the clock

You sometimes need to ground it to clear cmos. There are lots of capacitors there that hold a charge.

As for OP have you connected the heatsink properly? There needs to be heatsink grease between cpu & heatsink. If heatsink is not properly connected cpu will not come on

Are you sure the CPU heat sink was plugged in on your first run...?

The fact that it isn't spinning might mean no.

油井緋色;2304434 said:
Are you sure the CPU heat sink was plugged in on your first run...?

The fact that it isn't spinning might mean no.

I am sure. When I removed the i7 processor that is giving me the trouble, I did not disconnect the heat sink, just lifted it and put the old i5 processor back in place and put the heatsink back down, ran perfectly fine for the i5. The heatsink comes with thermal paste on it already, I was told I did not need to add any. Even so, it should still start up even without thermal paste.

I am sure. When I removed the i7 processor that is giving me the trouble, I did not disconnect the heat sink, just lifted it and put the old i5 processor back in place and put the heatsink back down, ran perfectly fine for the i5. The heatsink comes with thermal paste on it already, I was told I did not need to add any. Even so, it should still start up even without thermal paste.

You're correct that it should still run...it'll eventually restart/shut off due to overheating though lol

Do you have an in case speaker that beeps? Your motherboard manual should have a section that tells you what those beeps mean (they're short or long like morse code).

EDIT: Post your motherboard model actually. Use CPU-Z to figure out what it is via your old CPU if you can boot into windows. Take a screen shot of it and post it here.

Last edited:
油井緋色;2304439 said:
You're correct that it should still run...it'll eventually restart/shut off due to overheating though lol

Do you have an in case speaker that beeps? Your motherboard manual should have a section that tells you what those beeps mean (they're short or long like morse code).

No beeping noises at least not that I can remember. It just tries to start up, fans whir and then shut downs, then tries to start up again, fans whir and shuts down again. Not sure if it will keep going indefinitely, but let it try this for a minute or two with no changes.

No beeping noises at least not that I can remember. It just tries to start up, fans whir and then shut downs, then tries to start up again, fans whir and shuts down again. Not sure if it will keep going indefinitely, but let it try this for a minute or two with no changes.

It won't change. Computers aren't moody like human beings lol

Only thing I can think of is that there is a bios update that you missed. Getting the mobo model along w/ the bios version using CPU-Z will confirm if this is true or false.

The symptom you described has happened to me during CPU swaps because I had overclock settings on or when I overclock/volt too high and the computer wants to blow up but I'm pretty sure you were running default/Auto settings.

油井緋色;2304444 said:
It won't change. Computers aren't moody like human beings lol

Only thing I can think of is that there is a bios update that you missed. Getting the mobo model along w/ the bios version using CPU-Z will confirm if this is true or false.

The symptom you described has happened to me during CPU swaps because I had overclock settings on or when I overclock/volt too high and the computer wants to blow up but I'm pretty sure you were running default/Auto settings.

I checked on gigabytes website, there is no bios updates available for the motherboard. The model number is GA-B85M-HD3.

pulling battery may not clear the cmos, may have to do a jumper.

Going over what's posted so far, this is the only thing I can think of that would do it. If there's no jumper to clear the CMOS, there may be a button on the back of the board to reset the BIOS. It may also be a button mounted on the surface of the board somewhere.

BIOS updates for newer Intel processors are usually just to load them with newer microcode. The system will probably still boot without an update, albeit possibly with a few quirks. Similarly, you could probably omit the heatsink entirely and the system will probably still post, though thermal throttling will have it running at very, very slow speeds.

A dead CPU seems like a fairly likely scenario to me. It may or may not have been dead on arrival, it is fairly easy to kill them through mishandling.

Back
Top Bottom