Path to a G class license | GTAMotorcycle.com

Path to a G class license

Beakster

Hi,

Trying to understand the path to driving a car for an Ontario biker. Please can someone confirm I'm understanding this correctly. I've omitted any training/learning here as this question is specific to the license process, not the learning process.

New rider/driver with no licenses...

1) take M1 written test, receive M1 license.
2) wait 60 days
3) take M2 road test (sometimes called M1 exit). Receive M2 license which gives same rights as G1 The Official Bus Handbook "M2 Holders may also drive a Class G vehicle under the conditions that apply to a Class G1 licence holder."
4) wait 12 months
5) Take G1 road test, receive G2 license
6) Take G2 road test, receive G license

Have I got that right?

Thanks

Sounds right to me, 48 years ago I had my full motorcycle license but was only qualified to drive a car under the learner permit rules of the time.
Was great motivation for me to ride my motorcycle year round even on snow covered roads.

Hi,

Trying to understand the path to driving a car for an Ontario biker. Please can someone confirm I'm understanding this correctly. I've omitted any training/learning here as this question is specific to the license process, not the learning process.

New rider/driver with no licenses...

1) take M1 written test, receive M1 license.
2) wait 60 days
3) take M2 road test (sometimes called M1 exit). Receive M2 license which gives same rights as G1 The Official Bus Handbook "M2 Holders may also drive a Class G vehicle under the conditions that apply to a Class G1 licence holder."
4) wait 12 months
5) Take G1 road test, receive G2 license
6) Take G2 road test, receive G license

Have I got that right?

Thanks
  • You need to wait a year between G2 and G.
  • You can shorten the waiting period by 4 months by taking driving lessons if i recall.
  • You are also under no obligation to wait any length to take your M2 test, but they will not issue you the new licence until the waiting period expires.

Last edited:
You need to wait a year between G2 and G but you got the jist of it. You can shorten the waiting period by 4 months by taking driving lessons if i recall.
You are correct. IIRC it's 12 months without driver's training, 8 months if you take it. Also the G must be done within 5 years of G2 or you lose the license fully and restart from scratch (have had a few idiot friends lose their licenses because they thought a G2 is indefinite).

• You are also under no obligation to wait any length to take your M2 test, but they will not issue you the new licence until the waiting period expires.

Clarification on this. It's not possible to book the M2 test with the MTO for a date before 60 days after M1 is granted. However if you do the safety course with test at the end this can be done any time.

Thanks for clarification. My concern was that we'd have to do something specific to get a G1 as well as the M2 before the 12 months before G2 would begin.

Back
Top Bottom