Parking reversing fail - writeoff bike, left # but now wont fork over insurance | GTAMotorcycle.com

Parking reversing fail - writeoff bike, left # but now wont fork over insurance

a_rob

Site Supporter
I had someone back into by bike on queen st in the city.
Point of impact was the front forks, knocking it on its side, he then proceeded to pick it up.

He let a post-it with his name/number and left the scene.
He initially responded to my call but refused to give over insurance details as "he didn't want his premiums to go up".

The insurance assessor came back saying there was ~7k worth of damage to a 4k bike. So write-off.
Now this guy wont answer his phone.

Is there anything i can do to force the issue if he wont cooperate?
Can i go to the police at this point and report it?
Is there a way to do a reverse look up on his number and perhaps get evidence from his car (he said bumper was bent).
Talk to him in person and see if he will be more reasonable.
Do i need to see if i can find witnesses?
Perhaps a combination of the above.

If all else fails i have no objection to the idea of a lawyer/PI.

Last edited:
Point of impact was the front forks, knocking it on its side, he then proceeded to pick it up.

He initially responded to my call but refused to give over insurance details as "he didn't want his premiums to go up".

The insurance assessor came back saying there was ~7k worth of damage to a 4k bike. So write-off.

Is there a way to do a reverse look up on his number and perhaps get evidence from his car (he said bumper was bent).

If all else fails i have no objection to the idea of a lawyer/goons.
If he refuses to pay i want his life to be as miserable as possible!!!!

Provide all available information you have to both your insurance company and the police.

First off. Delete the last 2 lines of your post.
secondly, IMO, the police should have been called to the scene.

This could constitute as a hit and run right? Problem is that you're going to have to prove that he hit your bike. If he's already fixed up his car and left no proof then you might be SOL as it's your word versus his. See if there are any cameras or anything else around that you can use as a backup.

Did you put in a report at a collision reporting centre?

Go to a collision reporting centre, and report it. Give all pertinent details including that the other person refused to give insurance information, after leaving the scene. Let your insurer handle it.

If all else fails i have no objection to the idea of a lawyer/PI.

Let your insurance company worry about it! Report the hit and run...

If you were to build a 7K bike, out of parts ordered through a dealership, then it would total probably $21K after parts and labour.

I would guess you'd end up much, much higher than that.

I started working through the parts drawings for an EX250 on BikeBandit adding 1 of everything... I got about half way through before getting bored and i was up to $18,000

I would guess you'd end up much, much higher than that.

I started working through the parts drawings for an EX250 on BikeBandit adding 1 of everything... I got about half way through before getting bored and i was up to $18,000

I suppose it depends on how far down you go. Buy the engine, as a unit, and it might not got much higher than that.

If you have a house number and not a cell number you can use the following to obtain their address (http://canada411.yellowpages.ca/search/reverse.html). If it is a cell #, this site should at least provide you with the service provide (Rogers, Bell etc.) When filing a police report, provide them with the number and they may be able to get Bell/Rogers to provide them with the account holder details if they are going forward with a hit and run incident.

Edit: For cell phones you can also use this site (http://phonereverse411.com/). I used it with my cell # and it came up as Rogers, so it works.

Last edited:
Call him from a different number; tell him he has won a car (or some random b.s) in a contest that his name was entered in. Ask him to confirm his contact information for security reason's, so that he can claim his prize.

Since the OP only knows the hitters name and phone number from the sticky the guy left I would assume there were no witnesses unless someone in a store saw something or a store had a security camera. It might be worth checking.

When did this happen? The longer the resolution is stalled the worse it gets.

Depending on the last name just running it through the phone book might narrow the search. If it's Smith you're SOL.

I think the guy thought M/Cs are cheap to fix so stepped up to the plate when he hit the bike. When he found out the real cost he changed his mind.

Hit and run? He did hit but left a note before running. Does this get him off the hook for the hit and run? In my mind when you cause a problem you report it either to the owner or the cops. Only then you are clear to leave.

Probably not a hit and run if he left a note (for now). I think in the eyes of the law it would be considered a reasonable thing to do if he didn't estimate damages to be over $5,000 (in which case you are supposed to report to cops).

However, if he does not respond back there might be a case for a hit and run now (especially if he left false information). I'm sure if OP left the name and number on the forum someone could figure out who it is.

Actually it's not 5 grand...it's more like $800-$1000 if I recall, that the police are to be notified.

Actually it's not 5 grand...it's more like $800-$1000 if I recall, that the police are to be notified.

Good to know, I thought it was way more. I got rear-ended pretty bad at a red light 2 weeks ago (luckily in my car). Went to the station and they said it wasn't worth filing a report and to come back if they didn't end up paying (the lady didn't want to go through insurance).

Took the bike in to the collision reporting center on the weekend.
The officer took the statement, got someone to look over the bike, tried to give him a call seeing as he left a note to give him the benefit of the doubt.

He didn't answer so she left him a voice-mail asking him to call the station and give over his insurance details or they would start the process of charging him with Leaving the scene.

Now have a report number to hand over to the insurance company, couldn't get through to the insurance person today but will try again tomorrow.
If they still wont do anything (no collision coverage) then i guess i get to try and find witnesses/evidence.

Apparently he was at my kickboxing gym before the incident, Ive put a bug in the ear of half the instructors.
Will put up a notice asking if anyone saw anything (presumably it happened at the end of a class).
If he does come back then ill at the very least get a chance to try and talk some sense into him.
Possibly try a few of the shops in the immediate vicinity. Some of them face the spot and the people working there are close to streetside closing up around that time of night.

So frustrated that it has come to this....
I Shouldn't be forced to pay for this boneheads laziness to turn around while reversing.
I mean FFS what if it had been a PERSON that didn't set off his parking sensor, rather than a bike.

I suppose i should just be grateful that my bike encountered a muppet while parked, rather than while i was on it... So many people have been far less lucky....

It is if the total damage between the 2 or more vehicles is more then $1,000.

Back
Top Bottom