Pan America | Page 10 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Pan America

Oh the shame....
Passed by a Hardley Ableson... :eek:🤣

What do you think -- green group or at best, maybe yellow?
Like those videos where a guy passes a bunch of superbikes on a supermoto? Without knowing the pace of the guys being passed, it's kind of a meaningless exercise except ego wankery for the rider. It's not a race grid in either case.

Still, looks like they're having fun, and the bike isn't trying to buck them off. With 150 horses, that bike can definitely move. Laguna is also a perfect place, as the straights aren't long and the pavement is a bit rough. I bet the rider had a blast.

One question that was raised on a podcast from ages ago was whether everyone was making a fuss about not having to adjust valves when it just meant that you had to adjust the valve adjusters instead, trading one maintenance job for another. I'm not sure if that's true, or if it is whether the jobs are equally arduous, but it's definitely worth looking into...

Like those videos where a guy passes a bunch of superbikes on a supermoto? Without knowing the pace of the guys being passed, it's kind of a meaningless exercise except ego wankery for the rider. It's not a race grid in either case.

Still, looks like they're having fun, and the bike isn't trying to buck them off. With 150 horses, that bike can definitely move. Laguna is also a perfect place, as the straights aren't long and the pavement is a bit rough. I bet the rider had a blast.

One question that was raised on a podcast from ages ago was whether everyone was making a fuss about not having to adjust valves when it just meant that you had to adjust the valve adjusters instead, trading one maintenance job for another. I'm not sure if that's true, or if it is whether the jobs are equally arduous, but it's definitely worth looking into...
Hydraulic lifters are lifetime service.

Hydraulic lifters are lifetime service
Wish I could remember which podcast it was where they talked about it, but the theory was that because this motor revved much higher than a typical hydraulic valve motor, the lifter oil valves would need serviced rather than just addressing issues if they came up. It was ages ago, so they definitely weren't speaking from any position of deep knowledge, as the bike wasn't even out yet. Probably the usual ill-informed guessing game, but figured I'd throw it out there...

agreed, for HD I like blockhead, although he seems to have branched out

Wish I could remember which podcast it was where they talked about it, but the theory was that because this motor revved much higher than a typical hydraulic valve motor, the lifter oil valves would need serviced rather than just addressing issues if they came up. It was ages ago, so they definitely weren't speaking from any position of deep knowledge, as the bike wasn't even out yet. Probably the usual ill-informed guessing game, but figured I'd throw it out there...

You know the aftermarket industry is working overtime to convince owners they have to replace everything with their new and 'improved' parts. I'm leery of all this. The only important thing to remember about hydraulic lifters is that they bleed down when the bike is sitting overnight. So when you start it don't rev it or you'll damage them. Let it idle for a couple of minutes until they've pumped up, then take off. HD has had some problems 20 years ago when they tried a different (cheaper) lifter and it turns out they needed premature replacement, but generally as long as you let them pump up with oil they'll last well past 100,000 miles.

You know the aftermarket industry is working overtime to convince owners they have to replace everything with their new and 'improved' parts. I'm leery of all this. The only important thing to remember about hydraulic lifters is that they bleed down when the bike is sitting overnight. So when you start it don't rev it or you'll damage them. Let it idle for a couple of minutes until they've pumped up, then take off. HD has had some problems 20 years ago when they tried a different (cheaper) lifter and it turns out they needed premature replacement, but generally as long as you let them pump up with oil they'll last well past 100,000 miles.
The best (worst) example of that is Traxxion. They have talked thousands of Goldwing owners into spending thousands on suspension upgrades to make their Wings handle properly. Snake oil!

The best (worst) example of that is Traxxion. They have talked thousands of Goldwing owners into spending thousands on suspension upgrades to make their Wings handle properly. Snake oil!
Is it snake oil (i.e. does nothing except placebo effect) or is it 'upgrades' that 99.9% of Goldwing riders don't need because they simply don't work their suspension like a race bike?

I only ask because they have an okay rep for track suspension parts and supporting people who want to do that work themselves by selling tools for the task (even if they are a bit pricey). I notice they sell things like fork braces for the 'Wing that may be of dubious value, though...

Congrats on the Pan-America, by the way. I'm very curious: would you have bought a Harley if they were selling their usual line? This bike is well received, and seems to be proof that the diversification approach that they cut back on so aggressively actually works...

Is it snake oil (i.e. does nothing except placebo effect) or is it 'upgrades' that 99.9% of Goldwing riders don't need because they simply don't work their suspension like a race bike?

I only ask because they have an okay rep for track suspension parts and supporting people who want to do that work themselves by selling tools for the task (even if they are a bit pricey). I notice they sell things like fork braces for the 'Wing that may be of dubious value, though...

Congrats on the Pan-America, by the way. I'm very curious: would you have bought a Harley if they were selling their usual line? This bike is well received, and seems to be proof that the diversification approach that they cut back on so aggressively actually works...

we still dont know if he actually bought it yet or not, as he has not posted any pictures of it, or his grandkids on top of it yet

No futzing about like the rest of us cross shopping Africa Twins with RSV4's (looking in the mirror here...)

I see I found a fellow swinger.

(@Lightcycle here's an easy one for ya)

A 900lb bike will never handle like a sportbike. The wing i had developed a nasty head shake. I put new head bearings, springs and bushings in it. Fixed for less than$150.
Never would have bought a Harley till this new motor was put in a chassis with good ergos. And I'm tired of belts and shims. Takes too much of my very valuable time.

Thanks. I'll probably spend time in emerg when my wife finds out. Don't know when it will arrive. They are sold out everywhere.
What hold on you bought a Pan American??!!!
(BTW mississuaga HD said they had 4 in stock )

(BTW mississuaga HD said they had 4 in stock )

I somehow doubt this, a highly anticipated popular model, in the middle of this supply chain?

maybe they meant they had 4 on order

Back
Top Bottom