Paintless Dent Removal (PDR) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Paintless Dent Removal (PDR)

nobbie48

Site Supporter
It's interesting how changes in the auto world have enabled other repair changes.

PDR wouldn't likely work as well on old cars because the metal was thicker and the paint not that great.

New cars have slightly heavy tin foil for fenders but the paint is really tough so you can use hot melt glue to stick a tab to the dent and pull it out. I was wondering if it works on motorcycle gas tanks as well.

There are lots of YouTube videos on cars being fixed but I haven't seen bike stuff.

FWIW I've been dabbling on the cage to minimize a parking lot surprise. I'm not finished yet but it has gone to far less noticeable from Ohh, look, a dent. Quotes from body shops were $3,000 plus tax plus rental car and insurance hassle.

To get it where it is was about $50 from Amazon, a kit with a puller, glue sticks, mini glue gun and the tabs. I've since ordered the special reflective light for fine tuning the mess. I'm at around $100 now.

The futility of the experience is that I saw the damage to the quarter panel and got quotes but deferred action. A month or two later there was another dent a foot further ahead. A second idiot got me. I suspect a grocery cart.

The car is a five year old Hyundai and we tend to drive our vehicles into the ground so keeping them mint isn't realistic.

Need some before and after photos….

Once I told my wife ‘don’t back up with the trailer. Pull in forward and leave it.’

She backed up, jackknifed it on one side, went forward, jackknifed it on the other side….FML.

Scratch is still there, but thankfully the plastic bumpers popped out and no more dents. She no longer backs up with the trailer.

I've used a place in Mississauga to do PDR and minor touch ups. On my black Accord they took out 5 or 6 minor parking lot dents on the doors and the result was flawless, tough to do on black.

Recently they did a touch up for $150 on the rear quarter panel edge / rear passenger door edge that Kia quoted me $2,500 to fix. Not a 100% result, but I didn't want 2 panels sprayed, in spite of Kia's assurance that the sprayed panels would be a 100% match to existing paint and undetectable. Incidentally, this placed quoted $1,500 for the same job Kia would have charged me $2,500 for.

I've used a place in Mississauga to do PDR and minor touch ups. On my black Accord they took out 5 or 6 minor parking lot dents on the doors and the result was flawless, tough to do on black.

Recently they did a touch up for $150 on the rear quarter panel edge / rear passenger door edge that Kia quoted me $2,500 to fix. Not a 100% result, but I didn't want 2 panels sprayed, in spite of Kia's assurance that the sprayed panels would be a 100% match to existing paint and undetectable. Incidentally, this placed quoted $1,500 for the same job Kia would have charged me $2,500 for.

The other part is the delay in getting parts. If they take your car apart and need a XYX gasket your car sits out waiting for the supply chain to heal. Insurance companies aren't your friend when your replacement vehicle coverage stops. Some repairs end up taking weeks more than one would think.

I've asked pdr places about motorcycle gas tanks and got two responses:
1. No. Metal is too thick.
2. We can try, but we give no guarantees because the metal is too thick.
Also the angles are awful if you are trying to push out dents.. Down through the filler/slash guard and sometimes baffles really makes it awkward to get to typical dent location. Also most tanks have a pretty sharp radius that gets inverted compared to car panels that are almost flat. That increases force required substantially.

I tried to help a friend fix the rear hatch of a jeep patriot with a dent. Hot melt glue, pull, metal ripped. Wtf. Made of tinfoil.

I don't think this shop has it's own spray booth.

A good friend of mine does a lot of work for them. They sell the job and he does the work.
His shop with a full professional spray booth with bake cycle is in Milton.

They may do small PDR or wax/ceramic coating but for anything more substantial they send it out.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Last edited:
Couple of years ago I met a retired gentleman from GM who used to be a "dingman". One of a very few dingmen who performed those repairs at the Oshawa plant. Interesting guy to talk to and clearly highly skilled at what he did. I remember him saying that Subarus were the easiest to repair as they had the thinnest metal.

Didn’t even know this was a thing. I used suction cups go try to get dents out the top of my dryer in the house but they were limited use. Maybe I can get some glue sticks and practice on that.

Need some before and after photos….

Once I told my wife ‘don’t back up with the trailer. Pull in forward and leave it.’

She backed up, jackknifed it on one side, went forward, jackknifed it on the other side….FML.

Scratch is still there, but thankfully the plastic bumpers popped out and no more dents. She no longer backs up with the trailer.
Sometimes I'll sit in.my car at Markville Mall just to watch people back into parking spots. The most fun is at the Tesla charging area.

Better entertainment than Just for Laughs.

Also the angles are awful if you are trying to push out dents.. Down through the filler/slash guard and sometimes baffles really makes it awkward to get to typical dent location. Also most tanks have a pretty sharp radius that gets inverted compared to car panels that are almost flat. That increases force required substantially.

I tried to help a friend fix the rear hatch of a jeep patriot with a dent. Hot melt glue, pull, metal ripped. Wtf. Made of tinfoil.
I've done a few tanks using home made tools, it's not that hard. You need to make the tools, I use 3/8 rod bent to reach the dents. I have always had to holesaw out the splash baffle. If you want really good results you also need a dent mirror.

Sometimes I'll sit in.my car at Markville Mall just to watch people back into parking spots. The most fun is at the Tesla charging area.

Better entertainment than Just for Laughs.
I wonder how many are driving with Lindsay Licences.

Back
Top Bottom