paint advice - base coat? | GTAMotorcycle.com

paint advice - base coat?

YellowDuck

Site Supporter
I am repainting my fairing after repairing some crash damage. I am spray-bombing it just like last time using Color Rite urethane just like I did last time. Things came out pretty decent last time, but the colour was not a perfect match to the rest of the bike.

The Color Rite paint comes with a grey urethane primer, but I can see where they have been scratched that all of the OEM bits have white primer underneath, or possibly a white base coat.

So what should I do? Get a white primer (does that even exist)? Or use the grey primer then a few coats of white urethane on top of that, under the Color Rite colour coat?

If your paint is mismatched being brighter (the fixed paint is lighter than stock) I would suggest using the grey primer, as it will mute the luminance of the paint just a bit. If the mismatched paint is darker than stock, use white primer (yes, it does exist and can be found at any automotive store).

This is advice coming from somebody who paints on canvas and miniatures and not from a professional automotive painter etc, so take it with a huge grain of salt.

Most colors are somewhat translucent, and primer coat matters for true color. Use white, but make sure it is compatible chemistry with the color coat.

For a track bike fairing, consider monochrome vinyl wrap. Stuff is tough and once you learn how to wrap, easy to replace.

This stuff is huge in car racing right now:

http://rethinkpaint.com/

It's not vinyl wrap, it's paint film, can be polished, buffed, waxed etc.

Thanks guys.

I heard back from Color Rite and they say that even though there is no official base coat for this colour, the primer colour will probably have a significant effect. They also said (to my surprise) that it was fine to use a lacquer primer like DupliColor under their urethane colour coat. So, off to Canadian Tire for some white primer and we will see what we will see.

Don't use the lacquer primer. The urethane from Colour Rite will creep like a bansee.

The best option is a polyester primer that CT sells. Tough, thick. Wet or dry sand it before you apply the the Color Rite urethane.

I think the polyester only comes in a very light grey.

Thanks guys.

I heard back from Color Rite and they say that even though there is no official base coat for this colour, the primer colour will probably have a significant effect. They also said (to my surprise) that it was fine to use a lacquer primer like DupliColor under their urethane colour coat. So, off to Canadian Tire for some white primer and we will see what we will see.

Yellow is always white base coat first

This used to be my signature, but Paulo didn't like it.

Sorry, do you mean a white colour coat or white primer? Between your comment and bakaboy's I am thinking I should order some white urethane colour coat to cover the primer, then apply the yellow.

Damn this seems more complicated than it should be...

White primer coat.

Just not the lacquer.

Sorry, do you mean a white colour coat or white primer? Between your comment and bakaboy's I am thinking I should order some white urethane colour coat to cover the primer, then apply the yellow.

Damn this seems more complicated than it should be...

Yellow is always white base coat first

This used to be my signature, but Paulo didn't like it.

What he said. White first then yellow over. Carbon likely the best painter on this site that I know of.

Oh wait....the DupliColor white sandable primer is enamel based (was very hard to find that information!). So should be okay under urethane, yes? I will wet sand it to 800.

I know it looks like I can't find my own *** with both hands here but paint is complicated for the uninitiated. I do appreciate the help.

Should be fine. If your going to all this trouble why not do it right and chuck the rattle cans. Simple base clear and it will look 100 times better an actually stand up.

The paint that came on the bike is still the beautiful factory stuff and that is never getting painted over unless it gets badly damaged. Just trying to match the Airtech nose fairing to the rest of the bike, reasonably closely and cost effectively. If the whole bike were getting painted I can assure you it would not be done with spray bombs. A full repaint may be in the future if I ever can afford a Kevlar tank and a race tail...

Thanks again everyone. Will post a photo when it is all back together.

Back
Top Bottom