Ownership... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ownership...

mollusc

Hi all,

Just had a question regarding the ownership for purchasing a used motorcycle... Recently looked at a used motorcycle and the current owner didn't have it titled in their name (ie. never registered). It's still titled in the previous owner's name, and they still have the safety from that sale. Wondering if anyone has experienced this. Is this is a red flag? What steps do I take if I want to continue the purchase?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Well....it's certainly not a great start. Safety is void after 30 days from issuance.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in about the registration. Just remember, you can be inheriting someone elses problems with used vehicles.

Unless you know the seller, I would want them to put it in their name first. They can say they bought it for $1 and pay $0.13 tax. Then you have a clean transfer to you. Technically, you are supposed to give the signed UVIP to SO to complete the sale but the "owner" on the uvip isnt the person you are dealing with so they can't sign. As Evo said, safety is very likely expired as it only lasts something like 28 or 30 days so you'll need a new safety before you can plate it.

A safety is valid for 36 days, which I'm sure has expired. As long as the ownership portion of the ownership has been signed then it doesn't much matter if an owner or two have been skipped.

This is a tactic called "curbsiding", where someone has bought a used vehicle but hasn't registered it to avoid paying taxes. Probably no insurance on it either.

The main risk to you as a buyer is to make sure the bike hasn't been stolen or has any liens on it.

The safety is still valid, but how can I go about ensuring that the bike isn't stolen or has liens on it? Would that be part of the UVIP or ownership?

The safety is still valid, but how can I go about ensuring that the bike isn't stolen or has liens on it? Would that be part of the UVIP or ownership?
Yes, any liens against the vehicle, all previous owners, and rebuilt titles show up on the UVIP. The seller is *supposed* to provide the UVIP, but that doesn't always happed. It costs $20 iirc and you need it to transfer ownership so you're paying for it no matter what.

Yes, any liens against the vehicle, all previous owners, and rebuilt titles show up on the UVIP. The seller is *supposed* to provide the UVIP, but that doesn't always happed. It costs $20 iirc and you need it to transfer ownership so you're paying for it no matter what.
It is an HTA offence if the seller doesn't provide a UVIP. I have never had a seller provide one. I just buy my own from SO so I know it is current and not monkeyed with. All you need is the VIN.

You need a UVIP, it lists the ownership history, and notes any liens registered against the vehicle. In section 4, it should say "0 liens registered against this vehicle" If not, the lienholders can still repo the vehicle after you register it.

Any Service Ontario will sell you the UVIP as long as you have the VIN. Technically the seller is obliged to provide and pay for a UVIP when selling any registered motor vehicle in Ontario.

To see if it's reported stolen, go here and enter the VIN. Search vehicles - Canadian Police Information Centre

If the UVIP or CPIC turns up a major problem, reach out to the seller and ask them to reverse the deal (if you can still find them). If they refuse, try to leverage OMVIC, tell the seller you'll report the curbsider sale and seller -- the penalties are harsh and OMVIC is serious about chasing curbsiders down.

OMVIC does not govern private sellers.

Some here are confusing "curbsider" as defined by the OMVIC... with someone privately selling a vehicle they didn't register to their name. Similar... but not the same.

Some here are confusing "curbsider" as defined by the OMVIC... with someone privately selling a vehicle they didn't register to their name. Similar... but not the same.
How is a buyer supposed to know if it is a curbsider or not? Not registered in their name is one of the flags.

According to OMVIC, up to 25 per cent of all private classified ads are actually placed by curbsiders.

Buyer has to do their DD...

Personally, whenever I've done it... I provide the UVIP and/or go to SO with the buyer to change the ownership to their name. In most cases... I know the previous owner or buyer well enough that there's no concerns.

That's what a curbsider is. I privately buy a car and then flip it without putting it in my name. Now of course there are situations where this isn't intentional....but if i am buying and selling and not putting it in my name on purpose...curbsider.

Not sure if I'd trust someone who hasn't registered the vehicle within six days of purchase as they are supposed to.
Basically, the police will go after the old owner for any issues regarding the vehicle.
I had this happen with a car, that had a blown engine, and the person abandoned it on the QEW.
The towing company came after me for storage fees.

For me that would be a major red flag, and chances are they probably won't offer the UVIP which would show liens, as they are also required to do.

I suppose they could have gotten it for a really good deal, and are planning on cashing in by flipping it, but who do you trust?

Back
Top Bottom