Outdoor storage | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Outdoor storage

Condensation kills.
Every time your shed goes from hot to cold to hot :/ that produces condensation somewhere inside anything that is open to the atmosphere.

You guys still putting air in your race bike tires ;) you know all the reasons why nitrogen is better?

You know what makes a real nice motorcycle block heater ;) google electric battery heater blanket
you don't want a high power one, go for the lowest available, it won't spin your hydro meter as fast.

I would not leave it in a shed unless you like rust and corrosion. It might be sheltered but the moisture and dampness from the ground will be hell on it.

If you have to do it, i'd suggest you store it on stands with the wheels removed (store them inside your house) and apply some anti corrosion to the engine and frame. Don't get it on control surfaces or brakes and you'll need to wash is all off in the spring.

Last edited:
It's the oxygen that promotes oxidation, how much oxygen is there in nitrogen :geek:

For those doubting how much effect 21% oxygen can have (especially since the same 21% exists on the outside of the tires) do some research on partial pressures. Because the air in the tire is at higher pressure, the oxygen is more active.

Inflate the tires, then deflate the tires, change the oil, remove turn signals, put it in a shipping container and export to Arizona or west Texas for the winter.
Once in the shipping container have three or four friends stand inside, inhale as much as they can and run out slamming the door, it works like a vacuum .

For those doubting how much effect 21% oxygen can have (especially since the same 21% exists on the outside of the tires) do some research on partial pressures. Because the air in the tire is at higher pressure, the oxygen is more active.
One thing all the analyses I've seen on this takes into account the fact that the oxygen can permeate the rubber, and leaves through it due to its lower cross-sectional area. This leads to a loss in pressure that needs to be accommodated for. They fail to continue that line of reasoning to the fact that after a few refills with air to make up for the lost oxygen there is virtually no oxygen left.

One thing all the analyses I've seen on this takes into account the fact that the oxygen can permeate the rubber, and leaves through it due to its lower cross-sectional area. This leads to a loss in pressure that needs to be accommodated for. They fail to continue that line of reasoning to the fact that after a few refills with air to make up for the lost oxygen there is virtually no oxygen left.
I don't have one, but a lot of nitrox divers have an oxygen analyzer. It would be interesting to see what percentage of oxygen is in an old tire. The test would only take a few seconds.

:unsure: are you not adding more O2 with every fill up.

"The element is O, because the periodic table isn't describing molecules, it's describing atoms. The molecule is O2 because it takes 2 O atoms to make a molecule of oxygen. These types of elements are called diatomic elements, because the element exists in its pure form as a molecule composed of 2 atoms of the element."

Isn't chemistry cool :cool: if only my teachers had made it interesting. They only managed to completely kill the subject.

and when this O is traveling through the solid rubber,
do we think it is not causing the oxidation damage we are trying to prevent when we fill the tire with N2 :unsure:

A little, but if the theory is correct, you will never get the inside of the tire to 21% again. Maybe 5 to 10% for a bit until you lose the oxygen again.
That's the point, but it's even less than that. For ease of calculation, let's assume air is 20% oxygen (O2 as Trials pointed out) and your tire is 1 litre in volume. So 200 ml of oxygen leaks out. you refill that 200 ml, which contains 40 ml of oxygen. That leaks out and you refill the 40 ml, containing 8 ml of oxygen. That leaks out and you put 8 ml in containing 1.6 ml of oxygen. When that leaks out, do you even notice the drop in pressure? if so, one more time and your tire is full of nitrogen.

and when this O is traveling through the solid rubber,
do we think it is not causing the oxidation damage we are trying to prevent when we fill the tire with N2 :unsure:
Yes, it is doing some damage. how much is one of the key questions. Tires last a long time and have for lots of years before they started filling them with only Nitrogen, so how much damage do we need to worry about. .

Upholstery felt works really well as a moisture wick.
If you store outdoors / covered, wrap the bike with it first.

Screenshot_20200921-104834.jpg

I only stored outside a couple times. Used the felt both times. And more than 1 tarp and bike covers, and rope, and cords etc. Never a problem, and the bikes were nice upon uncovering. Unlike the wd40 spraydown experience I had.

Does the shed have a floor? Just put it to bed in there, a fan can help with condensation. I store my bikes in my shop all winter it is not heated but I leave the ceiling fans running and has never been an issue. Mouseproofing can't hurt either.

Sent from my KFONWI using Tapatalk

Yes, it is doing some damage. how much is one of the key questions. Tires last a long time and have for lots of years before they started filling them with only Nitrogen, so how much damage do we need to worry about. .
:unsure: only the avoidable damage.

Back
Top Bottom