Out of gas at 120km 94 Honda magna | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Out of gas at 120km 94 Honda magna

You see my constant delight with the CB500x fuel mileage ...450+ range and reliable over time 60 mpg.
17 liter tank.
Agreed. Tank range is fairly important to me, I don't like needing gas every 200km.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

I bought this. Ike for a little local commute. I don’t do long hauls. I also bought it would be a good intro as I never had a cruiser. It’s going in for a carb cleaning etc.

Might be a dumb question but did you start out with a full tank to begin with? As others have said, I would run 4 or 5 more tanks of fuel just to establish an average fuel consumption.

I would also recommend to run the next few tanks of fuel with some Seafoam added (about $12 per can from Cdn Tire). You would only need to buy one can and you would have a good amount left over to put through a few tanks next year. It’s a small investment to clean out the fuel delivery system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might be a dumb question but did you start out with a full tank to begin with? As others have said, I would run 4 or 5 more tanks of fuel just to establish an average fuel consumption.

I would also recommend to run the next few tanks of fuel with some Seafoam added (about $12 per can from Cdn Tire). You would only need to buy one can and you would have a good amount left over to put through a few tanks next year. It’s a small investment to clean out the fuel delivery system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for that suggestion I’m pretty sure it was a full tank when I started because when I picked it up from service Centre I took it to the gas station and I topped up the tank and it only took like three bucks not even that. I filled it up yesterday but I was I was using the previous tank I can actually smell the fuel stabilizer burning off as the vehicle hadn’t been run since it was stored for the winter. I’m gonna pick up a bottle that I’m gonna pour some into the tank and I’m going to run it and I will then fill the chicken thank you so much for that advice I would never of thought of something like that.

More experienced riders chime in here please, but if that bike is similar to my 98 Shadow 750, with city riding, and warming up the bike in the mornings with choke on, I usually get about 116 before reserve and 120 until empty. iirc my tank is similarly sized.
I'll take a pic of the fuel positions

Brb

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
^this. My Vulcan 500 gives me anything from 13km/l to 17 depending on the riding conditions. More highways, which is rare for me are great for mileage. But the short runs I do in downtownish Toronto absolutely kill my mileage.

Agreed. Tank range is fairly important to me, I don't like needing gas every 200km.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Same here, I would sell a bike fast if the range was only 200 km. Mine gives me between 320 km- 350 km right now. I went on a group ride once and laughed my arse off at supersports pulling into the gas stations at every 190km intervals LOL

Same here, I would sell a bike fast if the range was only 200 km. Mine gives me between 320 km- 350 km right now. I went on a group ride once and laughed my arse off at supersports pulling into the gas stations at every 190km intervals LOL

This is a 94. I bought for some fun as I hated the sports bike. My first bike I got well over 300km on a tank.

We did have it all checked over and it all appears to be good. I will be running High octane fuel and see if that makes a difference.

I am joining a shop who is closing for fri 13th in sept for the port Dover pilgrimage. Since they already know my gas consumption the ride they said let’s go. I will have plenty of opportunities for fuel and I won’t be left stuck dry. The shop owner is running this and will tweak if he has to in the journey.

But I will most likely flip after I do my M exit which is what my main goal was for this season. So this machine will do the trick for the remainder of the season.

I may head south and truck it down. Have some fun and sell it there.

I personally wouldn't waste my money on the higher octane fuel. Our bikes weren't designed for it, and my bike actually runs a little worse with it.

This is a 94. I bought for some fun as I hated the sports bike. My first bike I got well over 300km on a tank.

We did have it all checked over and it all appears to be good. I will be running High octane fuel and see if that makes a difference.

I am joining a shop who is closing for fri 13th in sept for the port Dover pilgrimage. Since they already know my gas consumption the ride they said let’s go. I will have plenty of opportunities for fuel and I won’t be left stuck dry. The shop owner is running this and will tweak if he has to in the journey.

You can carry a 1-gallon jerry can on your bike so you don't have to slow your buddies down you know......

I personally wouldn't waste my money on the higher octane fuel. Our bikes weren't designed for it, and my bike actually runs a little worse with it.

I heard this from various people, high-octane fuel is actually BAD for a motorcycle, just stick to regular.

I heard this from various people, high-octane fuel is actually BAD for a motorcycle, just stick to regular.

I never know when you are being sarcastic or being serious.
Which is it now?

Very rarely is high test worse (you can get slightly worse fuel mileage with it and some people say their bike runs worse with it but I'm not convinced about that). Most of the time, it is just a waste of money.

There are always exceptions. Using a full tank of ethanol free high test when putting your bike away for a while is a great idea.

You can carry a 1-gallon jerry can on your bike so you don't have to slow your buddies down you know......

?? How is stopping to unsecure a jerry can of gas, fiddling with the pour spout, pouring gas into the tank and then restrapping down the empty can not going to slow down the group? Or are you suggesting she do it on the fly? Just pulling into a gas station would be faster.

?? How is stopping to unsecure a jerry can of gas, fiddling with the pour spout, pouring gas into the tank and then restrapping down the empty can not going to slow down the group? Or are you suggesting she do it on the fly? Just pulling into a gas station would be faster.

I plan to just pull into a gas station. Group that I’m travelling with the one running it is fully aware of my consumption he runs the service centre. He has already stated that he would like to see how far the vehicle will run while he is there should I have any problems I’m told not to worry. He’s already aware of how much the estimate that I get is. Told him I was going to run a small Jerry can with me and he said not to.

Are used to run a higher grade gas in my older bike if found out it ran much better. Really I have nothing to lose by throwing in a couple tanks were in seeing if it makes a difference.

Curious if anybody’s ever used those gas caps with the fuel gauge on them if I should consider one of those but I’m having a tough time finding them I’ve seen around years ago.

Might actually be a good idea to carry a jerry can with fuel and see what you actually get by running the tank dry. Of course that can be an inconvenience when ridding with a group as you may suddenly have to stop on the side of the road.

I would not bother with the high octane, it is not going to magically give you 80+ extra KM of range over regular.

I plan to just pull into a gas station. Group that I’m travelling with the one running it is fully aware of my consumption he runs the service centre. He has already stated that he would like to see how far the vehicle will run while he is there should I have any problems I’m told not to worry. He’s already aware of how much the estimate that I get is. Told him I was going to run a small Jerry can with me and he said not to.

Are used to run a higher grade gas in my older bike if found out it ran much better. Really I have nothing to lose by throwing in a couple tanks were in seeing if it makes a difference.

Curious if anybody’s ever used those gas caps with the fuel gauge on them if I should consider one of those but I’m having a tough time finding them I’ve seen around years ago.
Dont worry about a gas gauge. Just put a few more tanks through and you will get a feel for the range.

Is very easy to carry a length of siphon hose if you are traveling with other motorcycles that is everything you need to solve that worry.

Dont worry about a gas gauge. Just put a few more tanks through and you will get a feel for the range.
Been running it now a few days and I’ve been taking it to pretty well past needing the reserve tank and I’m finding that I’m getting better and better each day

Those things are as accurate as a propane cylinder gauge..... it will show your 80% full when you are only 20% full, then it drops like a rock from 80% full indication to "E" empty in under 10 mins. The best way is to go by mileage in your odometer. On my bike I know that when it reaches 320 km its time to fill up.

Reactions: AGS

My wife used to be paranoid about running out of gas -- she kept a small grease pencil in her purse, whenever she filled up she scribbled the mileage for her next fill-up on her speedo.

Back
Top Bottom