O'Toole wins nomination - is he our next Prime Minister? | GTAMotorcycle.com

O'Toole wins nomination - is he our next Prime Minister?

Mad Mike

Looks like Ontario Conservative Peter O'Toole.

We don't know much about him yet. He lives in Courtice ON, holds an honours BA in history and political science from RMC, and a law degree from Dalhousie. 12 Years in the RCAF, attained rank of Captain. Has MP and cabinet minister experience.

He's already rolled a platform, looks progressive but reigns in spending.

Thoughts?

how did they get the prairie folks to accept him?
a moderate, eastern, Irish, candidate?

sounds like a good choice to me
maybe the party can start to bring some of the P back

and guys like me won't hold our nose and vote Liberal anymore

how did they get the prairie folks to accept him?
a moderate, eastern, Irish, candidate?

sounds like a good choice to me
maybe the party can start to bring some of the P back

and guys like me won't hold our nose and vote Liberal anymore
I think the PCs finally figured out a western leader will always look like a chuckwagon driver to people in the east. I'm pretty sure there is some respect for how the Ontario PCs did things, from selecting a leader to running the show, I see O'Toole somewhat aligned with Ford some folksy no-nonsense appeal and a real belief in fiscal responsibility.

Could be a comfortable arrangement with PCs at the helm in Ottawa and Toronto.

Hasn't got a chance...
Too many people are used to free s***.
Sooner or later you run out of peoples money, when that happens and the people see their leaders and friends are the only ones getting free shi+,
the house comes down. Ask Wynne how that played out.

PC leader that "reigns in spending" wow that's a shock.

Does he have a brilliant master plan to make our 1$ worth more then .76 US cents ?

I like how the older portion of the membership refers to the party as PC
I get it, I'm nostalgic for the old federal PC party as well

it's long gone, dead
what we have now is the Reform Party re-branded

doesn't fool most of us in the east
that sneering, bigoted, christian fundamentalist told us what they are

O'Toole is an improvement
but it will take a generation to bring the P back to the party

76 cent dollar is good for exports, including oil
as long as the oil glut lasts we need a weak dollar

I read his platform document; seems innocent enough, although I have a hard time with the simultaneous commitments to helping this group of people and that industry and while reigning in taxes. Doesn't look to me like a "reign in spending" document. There's a lot in that platform document - enough that I doubt it will all happen.

I think he's electable. The platform document doesn't contain any obvious stupidity that the PCs have shot themselves with in the past, and he's not Andrew Scheer, and he's not Donald Trump Mini. Given that Trudeau in particular and the federal Liberals in general have had rotten corruption exposed, plus some stupid promises that they're making in various areas, I may return to my historical pattern of tilting Conservative - as long as they don't come up with some stupidity to shoot themselves in the foot with again.

I like his proposal to support the CANZUK alliance (basically the old Commonwealth, now that the UK is Brexiting). We need trade alliances that are "not USA", and despite being distant geographically, there's a lot in common between us.

Sooner or later you run out of peoples money, when that happens and the people see their leaders and friends are the only ones getting free shi+,
the house comes down. Ask Wynne how that played out.

What I mean is.. the number of people who benefit or at least "think" they benefit from all the $$ the current gov't spends is too high.
I'm not even talking about the connected elites who benefit from their relationship(s) with the liberals... I'm talking about the FSA (Free sh** Army) who will vote liberal no matter what for fear of the cash tap being turned off.
I mean... I'm sure everyone is in favour of fiscal restraint... As long as it doesn't affect them.

It took 12 rounds of counting before Scheer got elected. Three is an improvement (many fewer candidates this time though). I know nothing about most of the candidates other than I think PM would have lost hard to JT so I am glad he didn't win.

Stolen from wikepedia for interest. Formatting slightly screwed up, refer to original for clearer picture. It was close among the top three.
Results by ballot[48]
Total
174,404​
100%​
33,800​
100%​
171,388​
100%​
33,800​
100%​
153,991​
100%​
33,800​
100%​
Votes cast%Points allocated%Votes cast%Points allocated%Votes cast%Points allocated%
Candidate1st ballot2nd ballot3rd ballot
Erin O'Toole (cropped).jpgErin O'Toole51,25829.39%10,681.4031.60%56,90733.20%11,903.6935.22%90,63558.86%19,271.7457.02%
Peter MacKay crop (cropped).JPGPeter MacKay52,85130.30%11,328.5533.52%54,16531.60%11,756.0134.78%63,35641.14%14,528.2642.98%
LeslynLewis-HEADSHOT1-lg.jpgLeslyn Lewis43,01724.67%6,925.3820.49%60,31635.20%10,140.3030.00%Eliminated
Derek Sloan Image.jpgDerek Sloan27,27815.64%4,864.6714.39%Eliminated

Last edited:
Looks like when Lewis washed out, Otoole picked up her delegates. Seems likely as they are probably Ontario conservatives for the most part, and both of them are from mere.

bet she gets a sweet cabinet position.

Looks like when Lewis washed out, Otoole picked up her delegates. Seems likely as they are probably Ontario conservatives for the most part, and both of them are from mere.

bet she gets a sweet cabinet position.
Finance? As vice-chair of the trillium foundation, she is used to handing out a ton of money to marginally worthy causes.

My hope was that Lewis would win.
When I saw her as a canidate I though she should be the one. I know nothing about the other candidates or her, other then the other guys look like the same old guard typical types, where she could maybe change that image, and use it against JT and the Liberals.

When I saw her as a canidate I though she should be the one. I know nothing about the other candidates or her, other then the other guys look like the same old guard typical types, where she could maybe change that image, and use it against JT and the Liberals.

Sloan is local to me and he’s a class A prime knob. Mackay is class B, so maybe O Toole might be viable.

I know nothing about O'Toole, but did read something worrying today. His campaign manager is the founder of the Ontario Proud Facebook page, which apparently is a far far right group.

Based on past experience in seeing the graft the Trillium foundation doled out, she is not old guard conservative, she could quite possibly be JT in a different wrapper. Maybe Trillium has changed or maybe she fought to make it better, I don't have recent experience with them.

I know nothing about O'Toole, but did read something worrying today. His campaign manager is the founder of the Ontario Proud Facebook page, which apparently is a far far right group.
Does that worry you more than the $600k/mo spent by ultra left Elementary school teachers union? Or the $500k/mo spent by the Ontario healthcare unions on anti PC radio and TV ads?

Or does it just worry you that a right is outscoring the left with 1/20th the funding and doing it with truths?

Back
Top Bottom