Options for home internet when you are out of the service area of the big guys | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Options for home internet when you are out of the service area of the big guys

Could you give me examples of the service that is terrible, can you stream, browse, e-mail, has my MotoGP package just become useless? The horror, the horror....
Speed is all over for me when it is cold it is faster but they tend to oversubscribe the towers so in peak times speeds can drop to almost dial up. In the middle of the night thing get better. Your area may be better if the tower is close to you otherwise it will be satellite which is ok but has huge ping time so no gaming or voip.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Speed is all over for me when it is cold it is faster but they tend to oversubscribe the towers so in peak times speeds can drop to almost dial up. In the middle of the night thing get better. Your area may be better if the tower is close to you otherwise it will be satellite which is ok but has huge ping time so no gaming or voip.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I second that same for me with xplornet. Peak times speeds drop to almost dial up. Pisses me off when I signed up for 25 mbps service for $115 per month and the only times it is near that is when I am at work. When home to use it it sucks.

As far as the urban sprawl reaching the area, you can pretty much see it from the end of the driveway, it's about 2 km away, just not close enough apparently.

If you have line of sight to someone in that sprawl area are are tech savvy..well, there's DIY line of sight options, like this:

You will of course need to find a willing participant on the other end, be it a home owner, business, whatever. If you cover all the costs and make it worth their time (IE, offer to pay for their internet connection to get your own as a byproduct), then it's an option...and it's likely to be the fastest option at that.

Looks like my reply after I found out from the church is missing. They have some kind of Bell cellular, and blow through their limit quickly, so the password isn't given out to the general congregation. There's actually a cell tower on the property, but there are no junctions to hook into.

Looks like my reply after I found out from the church is missing. They have some kind of Bell cellular, and blow through their limit quickly, so the password isn't given out to the general congregation. There's actually a cell tower on the property, but there are no junctions to hook into.

Thanks Baggsy, I'm within 500 meters of a cell tower, so cellular internet reception shouldn't be a problem, paying for it could be.

Checked the battery on our ZTE Bell cellular receiver just now and the lithium battery is all swollen :/ POS didn't even last 1 year. (n)

Checked the battery on our ZTE Bell cellular receiver just now and the lithium battery is all swollen :/ POS didn't even last 1 year. (n)
I'm not that surprised. They still seem to have problems with Lithium batteries that are constantly on a charger. They probably need to update the firmware to turn off the charging for a while (I'm not sure if it is steady buildup of heat or not cycling that causes them die).

does the TelCo lease the tower foot print from the church?
need to renegotiate the terms to get some internet included

around 15 years ago I was in any area serviced only by Xplornet - Sat
they were rolling out terrestrial service and looking for tower locations
they came and surveyed a corner of my property for a potential tower site
if they had gone ahead, free internet was to be included

does the TelCo lease the tower foot print from the church?
need to renegotiate the terms to get some internet included

around 15 years ago I was in any area serviced only by Xplornet - Sat
they were rolling out terrestrial service and looking for tower locations
they came and surveyed a corner of my property for a potential tower site
if they had gone ahead, free internet was to be included
I'm not sure who is leasing it, but it's from the church. Someone mentioned SNCL. They did check if there was an internet line on the tower, but there wasn't at the time. Some of the the people involved are ex Nortel, so I'm sure they checked. I'm going to go and find out more about it anyway, since I'm now a trustee.

Just to update, went with Rogers cellular for business (I've got a business phone with them) it's 60 bucks a month for 5Gs and 20 bucks for every 10Gs after that. So if I use 15Gs in a month (15 hours of streaming video) it'll be 80 bucks.
Signal is great, can move the receiver to any room or garage if I want, signal is good for about 30 ft.
Video chat with brother and family worked perfectly.
May have to curb my usage, but that's a good thing in my mind.
Evidently I shouldn't keep the hub plugged in all the time, and keep an eye out for a swollen battery. ^^^^^

Watch out for mysterious text message charges, we ran into a few of those. We never use it for text anything, make them credit you if it happens they really hate that and will have to ask you 3 stupid questions to make sure you are you.

At least you had options. I'm in an area where only Nexicom serves and it's 5mbps max (unlimited usage though which is good). I called everyone including all the small companies and they couldn't offer me anything.

Back
Top Bottom