Ontario to permanently set speed limits on some highway sections at 110 km/h | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ontario to permanently set speed limits on some highway sections at 110 km/h

I think you can get away with going 120 on the highway, but 70 in a 50 you are testing your luck.
While that makes sense, it's rare that police issue a ticket for less than 20 over (lots of tickets of 19 over but given to vehicles going 20-30 over).

While that makes sense, it's rare that police issue a ticket for less than 20 over (lots of tickets of 19 over but given to vehicles going 20-30 over).
Not that rare…lol.

I’ve had 2 for -15 over and my best friend got one for 11 over.

Were you actually going 15 over? That sucks if so.
Went 13ish over, ticket for 13. 15ish over, ticket for 14.

Traffic cops on Kennedy are bored I guess.

Wow. We won't talk about passing an unmarked cop doing 130 in an 80. (He followed for a while spooking me **** then buggered off)

Wow. We won't talk about passing an unmarked cop doing 130 in an 80. (He followed for a while spooking me **** then buggered off)

had a blacked out suburban doing some light weaving around traffic with a bunch of random cars and I on the 400. ~130 but hit 140 at times. never thought a cop would do that kind of driving.
saw on waze there was a cop further ahead so I slowed and went into the middle lane.
suburban sat in my blind spot for a while in the passing lane. (probably pulled my plate info?)
sped up, passed me and flashed his cherries once then got off the exit ramp.

I would knock 5-10 off of most of those.
Note: If you have speeding tickets, this all goes out the window until they come off your record.

And for goodness sake's, if you spot a cop, don't slam on the brakes and cause an accident.
If they're going to get you, they've already got you.
I came over a hill, cop at the bottom radar gun pointed at me. I braked hard. Rolled to the bottom and stopped. Cop says "my gun said 127, by the time I pushed the trigger, I got you at 112." I was 2 up at the time. He let me go. Brant county.

Every 400 Series highway in Ontario should already have a posted 110 kph speed limit! I'm old enough to remember driving on the 401 when it had a posted limit of 70 mph (112 kph). IIRC it was dropped to 60 mph to conserve fuel because of the oil crisis back in the day. If we could drive cars with drum brakes, bias belted tires and no seat belts at 70 mph back then, I'm sure we can safely do it now with four wheel ABS disc brakes, radial tires, air bags and the myriad of computerized aids like collision avoidance, lane keeping, etc...

About a month ago we did a road trip to Florida and I was pleased to see posted speed limits on many of the Interstates have been returned to 70 mph. There were actually some sections through the mountains in VA and WV where I found this limit to be questionable. Overall, it was a very pleasant trip and I'm looking forward to doing it again in the Fall.

I came over a hill, cop at the bottom radar gun pointed at me. I braked hard. Rolled to the bottom and stopped. Cop says "my gun said 127, by the time I pushed the trigger, I got you at 112." I was 2 up at the time. He let me go. Brant county.
I came over a 400 series hill, cop parked at the bottom, with a disabled vehicle. Guy who was gradually passing me slams on brakes, guy behind him slams into his rear. I now have lots of room to move left, around the cop, and proceed, leaving the whole mess behind. Fortunately, he didn't swerve when hit. Cop did not have a radar going. I've seen police with radar ignore anyone not doing HTA 172 velocities, but I wouldn't count on it.

The best ever was my kid coming home at 4AM from a night shift, got tagged at 59 in a 50 zone (9km over) on HWY 7 between McCowan and 48.

OPP is blitzing the 404 lately. I see tow trucks and OPP cruisers in the Green Lane Kiss & Ride parking lot (it's the OPP drive-through spot for roadside suspensions) -- they're picking off random drivers running fast on the stretch below Keswick. They are also picking off random drivers running at the speed of traffic from under the bridge at Bethesda.

The 404 really moves, there are times the columns of cars with less than 2 seconds of separation running120 in the right lane and 140 in the left.

Beware.

.. I've seen police with radar ignore anyone not doing HTA 172 velocities, but I wouldn't count on it.
That's the OPP on 404 north of Stouffville, and along downhill stretches of the 407.

I guess you could argue trolling for HTA's gets dangerous drivers off the road --- methinks it's more about trophies, revenue, and sadly cops have been accused and caught in nefarious dealings with tow operators (this likely still goes on as OPP is charged with policing themselves in this area).

If you ever run the 404 and it's moving at 110kmh, good chance an OPP cruiser is embedded in traffic somewhere ahead of you -- it really calms speed on those highways. I'm sure the OPP realizes a cruiser running up and down the highway embedded in traffic is a very large deterrent to speeding. Just doesn't help with revenue and quota.

I came over a 400 series hill, cop parked at the bottom, with a disabled vehicle. Guy who was gradually passing me slams on brakes, guy behind him slams into his rear. I now have lots of room to move left, around the cop, and proceed, leaving the whole mess behind. Fortunately, he didn't swerve when hit. Cop did not have a radar going. I've seen police with radar ignore anyone not doing HTA 172 velocities, but I wouldn't count on it.
So 2 drivers near you sucked, and you let them get too close to you. If you are being passed slowly, slow down or speed up to fix he situation.

I got nabbed once heading eastbound on Lakeshore after Jameson coming up the hill with the speed trap on the right next to the Legion Hall (before it had the giant poppy, for context).

I had been stuck behind someone in the middle lane, so just zipped around him on the left, and it was the passing speed that got me at 17 over, and the cop said he was watching me and was hoping I would stay slow and was wishing he didn't have to give me a ticket. Gee, thanks, officer.

As he was being relatively friendly, and I was a cheeky young lad, I suggested that 17 over was a bit unfair and I thought 20 was fair game. He said that if I stayed within 15 of the limit on roads with limits under 80 and within 20 of the limit for highways 80 and over, that only a cop with a bone to pick would give you a ticket at those speeds.

Not long after, I got tagged at 125 on the QEW westbound around Grimsby, so technically he was right, though it felt a bit unnecessary for a Sunday morning with a mostly empty highway.

So for me now in a car, the extra 10 km/h on the QEW in Niagara does make a difference, as the cruise gets bumped another 10 km/h to 130, up from 120 (and based on GPS).

Every 400 Series highway in Ontario should already have a posted 110 kph speed limit! I'm old enough to remember driving on the 401 when it had a posted limit of 70 mph (112 kph). IIRC it was dropped to 60 mph to conserve fuel because of the oil crisis back in the day. If we could drive cars with drum brakes, bias belted tires and no seat belts at 70 mph back then, I'm sure we can safely do it now with four wheel ABS disc brakes, radial tires, air bags and the myriad of computerized aids like collision avoidance, lane keeping, etc...

About a month ago we did a road trip to Florida and I was pleased to see posted speed limits on many of the Interstates have been returned to 70 mph. There were actually some sections through the mountains in VA and WV where I found this limit to be questionable. Overall, it was a very pleasant trip and I'm looking forward to doing it again in the Fall.
You forgot one major change. Many drivers are now trying to drive while staring into their lap. Not sure all the nanny state aids can make up for that.

The best ever was my kid coming home at 4AM from a night shift, got tagged at 59 in a 50 zone (9km over) on HWY 7 between McCowan and 48.

I can beat that for absurdity... This is going back prob 15 years ago, though.

401 Windsor bound, just before London; I was in the middle lane doing 106, in a marked company truck (was working for a large phone company at the time). Cars on both sides passing me like I'm standing still.

Cop lights me up; and asks if I knew why he pulled me over. "I was the easy one to catch" wasn't the answer he was looking for... he wrote me up for 6 over.

Back
Top Bottom