Ontario to permanently set speed limits on some highway sections at 110 km/h | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ontario to permanently set speed limits on some highway sections at 110 km/h

one step forward, one step back....ie...the boxed speed cameras in these new 30 km/hr zones...one of which got me last week, I am positive..... They improve safety, you say? Not when you get into that speed zone and are watching your speedometer so closely, coasting down a hill, tapping the brakes, not watching where you're going.

It's a start. They added a few more 110 km/h sections - 401 Windsor to Tilbury (about 50 km), 404 north of Newmarket (not very far). Two more trial sections - 400 from Mactier to Nobel (in the Parry Sound area - roughly 30 km in length), 11 south of South River (about 40 km).

Why the patchwork of little sections 30 - 50 km in length? Why not everything that looks like a motorway that isn't Toronto, Mississauga, Vaughan, Hamilton, or Ottawa? Most of the rest of the world gets by with 120 - 130 km/h speed limits on motorways ... Baby steps, I suppose ...

All of them, except possibly the twisty bit of 406 in StCath, were designed for (IIRC) 75 mph = 120 km/h in the 1960s era of 4 wheel drum brakes and bias-ply tires and no ABS or stability-program.

A section of relatively straight motorway looks the same no matter where it is in the world, and a lot of the rest of the world is okay with 130-ish km/h, at least outside of urban areas.

one step forward, one step back....ie...the boxed speed cameras in these new 30 km/hr zones...one of which got me last week, I am positive..... They improve safety, you say? Not when you get into that speed zone and are watching your speedometer so closely, coasting down a hill, tapping the brakes, not watching where you're going.

You too huh? Hamilton area by chance?
I ranted about it last fall but was quickly “corrected”. Speeding is speeding, true enough. Hard to argue with a laser that only considers that one factor.

I wonder how soon the 110 zones will be readjusted to 40 over for street racing.

edit - never mind I realized my own answer, 150 is already the hard cap.

Definitely can say after we've had it for a while that the change from 100 to 110 has no impact whatsoever on the speed people drive on the QEW. Maybe a good thing?

People drive the speed that they're comfortable with under the circumstances.

I don't change my cruise control setting on those sections, either.

People drive the speed that they're comfortable with under the circumstances.

I don't change my cruise control setting on those sections, either.
I've noticed. :(

You too huh? Hamilton area by chance?
I ranted about it last fall but was quickly “corrected”. Speeding is speeding, true enough. Hard to argue with a laser that only considers that one factor.
Nope, less than 1 km from my place and there is another one 1 km in the other direction, both on quiet small residential streets.
Its nothing more than a tax grab, 30 k/hr is literally crawling, its completely ridiculous, and in the meantime, people go flying by my house doing 80 in a 40, like, all the time.

The pilot was for 2-3 years; should it have been shorter or longer?
It should not have been at all. Anyone with a pulse would know that changing the number on a sign by 10% would have negligible impact on vehicle speed. I would expect the 85th percentile speed to be almost unchanged.

I see what I see and that's how I call em.

The pilot was for 2-3 years; should it have been shorter or longer?

I bet if you surveyed 100 Ontario residents, 80 wouldn't have any idea whatsoever there was even a pilot program where the limits were raised.

All they see now is "Ford raised our speed limits, Yay Ford!".

I would knock 5-10 off of most of those.
Note: If you have speeding tickets, this all goes out the window until they come off your record.

And for goodness sake's, if you spot a cop, don't slam on the brakes and cause an accident.
If they're going to get you, they've already got you.

Nope, less than 1 km from my place and there is another one 1 km in the other direction, both on quiet small residential streets.
Its nothing more than a tax grab, 30 k/hr is literally crawling, its completely ridiculous, and in the meantime, people go flying by my house doing 80 in a 40, like, all the time.

you cant even ride a slow bike fast on a 30km/h road lol. its insane.

there was also some kid who drove over 100km/h on a street road and literally killed 2 kids. he only got 1 year of juvenile jail time (which is basically just like a halfway house where you can just leave if you wanted). its all ****** and nonsensical.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who just rides everywhere at 20 over?

Am I the only one who just rides everywhere at 20 over?
Nope. That is my default position. Occasionally modified for smiles, known fishing holes or places where the speed limit actually makes sense.

Visited friends in Victoria and in most cases, the roads are narrow enough and have bad enough sight lines that the number on the sign barely matters. If government actually wanted people to change speeds, they would update the road design manual, not make work for the sign department.

Back
Top Bottom