Ontario plans to trial universal basic income | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ontario plans to trial universal basic income

Interesting concept.

That'll definitely get people to update their addresses ASAP ;)

Finally the handouts we've all been waiting for.

Just in time too, I'm sure all those refugees are finding an abundance of jobs...:rolleyes:

Might help with insurance costs?

Universal basic income is a futuristic concept applied to a society in which all the jobs are taken by automation too. Bit of a long way off I thought.

Universal basic income is a futuristic concept applied to a society in which all the jobs are taken by automation too. Bit of a long way off I thought.
A lot of automation is happening.

And to be honest, by having it be universal, less people whining about it/welfare. But i wonder at what age they plan on giving it... legal age? And will you need to have a SIN number? How does it work for immigrants or people going through the steps to get their citizenship?

It could boost a lot of peoples' quality of life

10hna5.jpg

Just to add,

Liberals shift focus to family reunification, refugee resettlement Immigration plan seeks to admit up to 305,000 new immigrants in 2016

Canada is seeking to admit a record number of immigrants as the Liberal government shifts its focus on family reunification and the settlement of refugees, says Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Minister John McCallum.

"This plan sends a message about the importance of family," McCallum said in Brampton, Ont., on Tuesday.

"It outlines a significant shift in immigration policy towards reuniting more families, building our economy and upholding Canada's humanitarian traditions to resettle refugees and offer protection to those in need."

McCallum Canada will admit between 280,000 and 305,000 new permanent residents in 2016, a record increase from the 260,000 to 285,000 newcomers the previous Conservative government had planned to welcome by the end of 2015.

The Liberal plan will see Canada admit: 151,200 to 162,400 caregivers, provincial nominees, and other skilled workers under the economic stream. 75,000 to 82,000 spouses, partners, children, parents and grandparents of Canadians under the family reunification plan. 51,000 to 57,000 refugees, protected persons and others admitted for humanitarian reasons.​ The Liberal plan also includes admitting 18,000 privately sponsored refugees, "three times more than in earlier years," McCallum said.

The government has resettled some 25,000 Syrians, a mix of government-assisted and privately sponsored refugees, in four months. The Liberals have also pledged to resettle another 10,000 government-assisted Syrian refugees by the end of 2016.
Reviewing 2-year condition McCallum said the government will review some of the conditions imposed on Canadians looking to sponsor their children and spouses living overseas, making family reunification a priority.

"The government of Canada will make family reunification an important priority because when families are able to stay together, their integration to Canada and ability to work and grow their communities all improve," McCallum said in a much-anticipated report tabled in Parliament on Tuesday.​

"We will work to restore the maximum age for dependants to 22 from 19 and re-examine the two-year conditional permanent residence provision for sponsored spouses."

The Department of Immigration plans to spend $1.7 billion in 2015-16, up from $1.3 billion in 2014-15. The increase is attributed to the Liberals' commitment to fast-track the resettlement of 25,000 Syrian refugees.

Planned spending is expected to be $1.6 billion in 2016-17. LINK

Last edited:
I'm surprised the Americans haven't invaded Canada yet

Wouldn't it make more sense to do this Federally?
Otherwise won't everyone want to move to Ontario?

Maybe have it so that after 5 years in Ontario you qualify? or something like that.

Excellent policy. I will donate my tax refund.

Wouldn't it make more sense to do this Federally?
Otherwise won't everyone want to move to Ontario?

Maybe have it so that after 5 years in Ontario you qualify? or something like that.
Don't try to start mixing sense with politics.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Don't try to start mixing sense with politics.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

"Keep the out" Country Joe Bass and the Fish

Last edited:
So against which bank account will these cheques be drawn? What will be at the other end of that account, topping it up every month? Seems like every single account is already starved for funds or we wouldn't have a $6-billion deficit.

Get ready for tax & fee increases.

Wealth redistribution from the bottom 70% to the bottom 70% with .......... surcharge is how it will be paid for.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom