Ontario has more than one kind of vulture | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ontario has more than one kind of vulture

sundancekid

Banned
Well I previously thought (incorrectly) that Ontario only had one species of vulture (pictured below)

tow-truck-insurance-300x225.jpg

However on my way to work I saw one of these going after some road kill. Any Ornithologists or lay people know what kind of bird this is? (aside from being a vulture)

IMG_0612.jpg

I saw one too coming back from Cayuga (towards niagara) on Hwy 3 last sunday! I was totally surprised to see one in those parts.

good analogy

Probably less common in the built up areas like the GTA but i see them fairly frequently out in the sticks.

Wow now THAT'S old news... I can't hardly remember not seeing them around. People gotta get out of the city more... Or stay put where you're all safe from the bears wolves coyotes and moose. Oh don't forget about the rattle snakes and water moccasins.

Turkey vultures are quite common in these parts...

There's a group of a half dozen of them regularly soaring looking for prey just south of Speyside along the escarpment edge overlooking Greystone Golf Club. Ugly as hell, and quite large.

If you park yourself at the lookout there they will soar in quite close to you. Just move every now and then to let them know you're still alive, and they won't try to feed on you. ;-)

Turkey vultures are considered to be a "transient" bird / animal.
They are grouped with many others that are progressing their boundaries like ...the possum, and coyote.
These guys are not indegenous to southern Ontario but, have moved in over the years.

Yeah I see them a lot around my place.

I was more surprised to see wild turkeys around my house.

Yeah I see them a lot around my place.

I was more surprised to see wild turkeys around my house.

Ontario traded Moose for Michigan turkeys (along with some other animal trades for turkeys from other states) in the 80's. That's why you see more now than you used to.

Yep big push with the owtf to get back the turkey population and we've been able to hunt them for quite a while now.
Also FYI to you city folk. Turkeys can fly. It's not graceful and it's pretty loud so don't let it spook ya if you venture off in the woods lol

I see dozens of turkeys grazing in fields up this way and have actually had to duck while riding by as more come in for a landing. A few years ago on Beaver Valley Road I came across a few turkey vultures feeding on road kill in the centre of the highway - they did not appear to be in a big hurry to leave the scene as I got closer. I had to slow down and hit the horn a few times before they decided to take off. When you get that close and see them spread their wings and take flight you realize just how big they really are. Not sure what I would have done if they decided to stay in the middle of the highway.

Back
Top Bottom