Ontario doubling down on 172. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ontario doubling down on 172.

GreyGhost

Site Supporter
I hate this. I have no problem with increasing penalties after conviction but increasing roadside penalties is horrendous especially after there have been clearly documented cases of abuse (and most 172 tickets don't result in a conviction for that charge).

Transportation Minister Caroline Mulroney said the Moving Ontarians More Safely Act sends a clear message to drivers.

The legislation would see roadside vehicle impoundment increase from seven days to 14 days, and roadside driver’s licence suspensions extend from seven days to 30 days.

It also introduces escalating post-conviction licence suspensions, up to a lifetime ban for a fourth infraction.

It would also lower the threshold for laying street racing charges for those travelling 40 km/h or more above the posted limit on roads where the speed limit is less than 80 km/h.

MOMS Act... ?

Every single proposed change to HTA 172 makes it worse. This is Bill 282 BTW - full text: Moving Ontarians More Safely Act, 2021

I don't know what to say, other than I'll be writing my MPP for all the good it'll do.

This is better in some respect. The old law you were pretty much held hostage to what the tow yard wanted to charge for daily storage fees.

If passed, the Towing and Storage Safety and Enforcement Act would require tow operators, tow truck drivers, and vehicle storage operators to be certified, and set new standards for customer protection and roadside behaviours, including penalties for non-compliance.

Definately increases the motivation to run if you think you are 50 over already.

Sent from my KFMAWI using Tapatalk
That's what I was thinking. Keep making the penalties prior to trial worse and the percentage that choose to go increases. I have a mental limit in my head where I would choose to go (vehicle and area dependent) and thankfully, I have never been in a situation where I had to make that choice.

It also makes passing quite difficult without risking a charge now that they dropped it to 40 over at <80 speed limit. Many people speed up to discourage passing and then park in the corners and unless you are on a rocket, it is really hard to pass those entitled pricks at <40 over.

Last edited:
I hate this. I have no problem with increasing penalties after conviction but increasing roadside penalties is horrendous especially after there have been clearly documented cases of abuse (and most 172 tickets don't result in a conviction for that charge).

Transportation Minister Caroline Mulroney said the Moving Ontarians More Safely Act sends a clear message to drivers.

The legislation would see roadside vehicle impoundment increase from seven days to 14 days, and roadside driver’s licence suspensions extend from seven days to 30 days.

It also introduces escalating post-conviction licence suspensions, up to a lifetime ban for a fourth infraction.

It would also lower the threshold for laying street racing charges for those travelling 40 km/h or more above the posted limit on roads where the speed limit is less than 80 km/h.
Sadly this is martial law at its worst. Many cops already have trouble operating inside the lines, now we want to extend their powers to be judge and jury? I say no.

I have a buddy who lost his licence for a week and paid $2000 in impound and reinstatement fees. OPP under corruption investigation for towing raketeering and phone 172s. Prosecutor kicked the can down the road long enough on the arresting officer to get his cases tossed.

Victim gets nothing back, not even an apology.

Who would have thought Dougie's PC government would end up even more Draconian than the McGuinty/Wynn legacy.
d01ed882c5325c88528e8b334d70d5de2aa66ecee3f4110064d71fef280399fc.jpg

As always blame your fellow Canadians ...Politicians want to be reelected so they do the will of the people. The average person doesn’t do anything fun with their life and hates the fact that we are having fun on motorcycles etc. All these new laws don’t affect them at all driving 90 km an hour in the fast lane in their car going home to their boring life.

"street racing charges for those travelling 40 km/h or more above the posted limit on roads where the speed limit is less than 80 km/h" - I know cyclists who can average 35-40kp/h. I know it's above 80, though 120kp/h is not stunt driving, given most do 100 in an 80 zone, going 20 over isn't the difference between safe and dangerous

Hate doesn't even touch it for me.

“Driving is a privilege and those that threaten the safety of others have no place on our roads,” she said.

But she and her government won't do a thing about e-bikes running rampant. Sidewalks aren't safe,

What about the driver and possibly his employer? What if it was a service vehicle and needed for company operations? Not guilty? Sorry out of luck.

Mulroney said fewer motorists on the roads during the COVID-19 pandemic encouraged more people to drive at excessive speeds.

So basically, Ford and company screwed up Covid recovery resulting in empty roads and Covid fever and now we get punished for their incompetence.

Nearly five percent of drivers suspended during that period had one or more previous suspensions in the last five years, she added.

Rewording that, More than ninety five percent didn't have problems with the law in the last five years.

In another example reported Monday, police in Perth County said they had charged a man from Seaforth, Ont. after he was allegedly clocked at driving above 170 kilometres an hour in an 80 zone in West Perth.

Straight out of Donald Trump's playbook. Pick one isolated incident, blow it out of proportion and suddenly the sky is falling. Mot people in Toronto don't even know where Perth County is. What about the killer drivers that, in a rush to the mall, kill people? Drive away after filling out the forms and later get a $600 fine, payable in installments.

Stalin and Hitler would be proud.

Hate doesn't even touch it for me.

“Driving is a privilege and those that threaten the safety of others have no place on our roads,” she said.

But she and her government won't do a thing about e-bikes running rampant. Sidewalks aren't safe,

What about the driver and possibly his employer? What if it was a service vehicle and needed for company operations? Not guilty? Sorry out of luck.

Mulroney said fewer motorists on the roads during the COVID-19 pandemic encouraged more people to drive at excessive speeds.

So basically, Ford and company screwed up Covid recovery resulting in empty roads and Covid fever and now we get punished for their incompetence.

Nearly five percent of drivers suspended during that period had one or more previous suspensions in the last five years, she added.

Rewording that, More than ninety five percent didn't have problems with the law in the last five years.

In another example reported Monday, police in Perth County said they had charged a man from Seaforth, Ont. after he was allegedly clocked at driving above 170 kilometres an hour in an 80 zone in West Perth.

Straight out of Donald Trumps playbook. Pick one isolated incident, blow it out of proportion and suddenly the sky is falling. Mot people in Toronto don't know where Perth County is. What about the killer drivers that, in a rush to the mall, kill people? Drive away after filling out the forms and later get a $600 fine, payable in installments.

Stalin and Hitler would be proud.
Hell, since we keep getting people caught at 100+ over, it would make more sense for the courts to impose tough penalties on the egregious cases. The same as 507, dropping the threshold does absolutely nothing to the people they are singling out to justify the changes. Politics at its worst.

Reactions: LBV
Adder. What would Ms. Mulroney do if one of her kids misbehaved?

Boot camp and criminal charges or cover-up and "The poor, misunderstood waif needs leniency and counselling."

Before this even came out, I was telling my son that it's getting harder and harder to have fun these days - it's slowly getting outlawed it seems and here it is getting worse.

As usual, it's the few bad apples that spoil it for the rest of us.

As usual, it's the few bad apples that spoil it for the rest of us.
The politicians? This has nothing to do with people driving 100 over. This is fundraising or pandering for votes. They should abolish these roadside judge/jury/executioner laws and lean on the courts to deliver appropriate punishments to those found guilty.

Back
Top Bottom