only a few days in japan? | GTAMotorcycle.com

only a few days in japan?

iblastoff

i'll be heading to japan (flying into narita/tokyo) in late september for a few weeks but will only be riding at most, maybe 3-4 days (going with friends but they're not riders).

location-wise i will probably spending most of our time in tokyo area for a bit and then heading west to osaka area (but open to other areas if its worth it). would love to hear about areas outside of these major cities/areas.

not looking for crazy twisties or anything, just lovely scenic areas if possible! i've never ridden in a place with 'opposite road' rules and such so i'm probably gonna try and take it easy and ideally on less busy roads.

i'll be heading to japan (flying into narita/tokyo) in late september for a few weeks but will only be riding at most, maybe 3-4 days (going with friends but they're not riders).

location-wise i will probably spending most of our time in tokyo area for a bit and then heading west to osaka area (but open to other areas if its worth it). would love to hear about areas outside of these major cities/areas.

not looking for crazy twisties or anything, just lovely scenic areas if possible! i've never ridden in a place with 'opposite road' rules and such so i'm probably gonna try and take it easy and ideally on less busy roads.
@Lightcycle

Tokyo and Osaka are two very different areas. Probably better riding around Osaka and the Kansai/Kyoto Prefectures because it's less populated/congested.

In Tokyo, there are a couple famous spots that all the car and bike guys go to. There's the Izu Skyline, about 2 hours SW of Tokyo. Izu Skyline is pay-to-play, but if you pay for one section, you can get on and off and do that section over and over again. Also Mikuni Pass was made famous by the Fast and Furious movie, Tokyo Drift, where the ricer guys drift their cars around the twisty mountain roads just outside of Tokyo.

Make sure you get an ETC pass with your rental, it'll make travel on the expressways around Japan a lot faster and more convenient than if you had to take the smaller, slower roads. Not cheap though...

For the Kansai and Kyoto regions, so many good roads there just an hour outside of Osaka. Our buddies took us riding all over.

There's a biker hangout called Miyama Fureai Hiroba, north-east of Osaka, where you can grab an ice cream cone and hang out and check out each other's rides:

DSCN4827-L.jpg

DSCN4832-L.jpg

Obviously, good roads in the area as well.

Slowbird did some ride reports:

Also I vaguely remember somebody moving here from Japan and importing their bike in the process

I'm also heading to Japan in late June for a few days on the way to Canada to see my very ill son.
I've not been for decades and even tho I'm used to driving opposite side to Canada not sure I want to tackle Tokyo area traffic tho I'd love to ride over to Mount Fulji ( big mountain makes it harder to get lost ).

BTW there is a direct flight Toronto to Tokyo in 12 hours via Air Canada so I'm using that as a less stressful route from Cairns. ( $700 return ) Cairns to Tokyo. I figure splitting up the flight over will be lower stress than the 26-30 hour marathons plus let me see a bit of Tokyo....hotels seem decently priced ...around $250 for 3 nights in middle level place near the downtown airport where the Cairns flight arrives.
I'm likely taking a helmet anyways to ride in Canada so might be fun to two wheel in Tokyo but Tokyo transit is so good and it's not really any sort of a holiday...just a rest stop for a couple of days.

I'm a little leery of health insurance costs now I've over 75 and not sure about travelling with my full set of riding gear as I have stuff in Canada.
Interested to see what bike costs to rent.

Some info here....looking a bit to complicated for my time in Japan.

Yen to dollar is 100-1 so easy conversion to get idea of price.

I have not booked the flight yet so could extend stay a bit.

Yikes :unsure: Population of Canada in one city.:eek:
PXL_20211028_081914422-1024x768.jpg

Last edited:
regarding what lightcycle about the ETC. Check before hand if you can get a gaijin (foreigner) discount.
2 helpful words
Sumimasen - excuse me (getting someone's attention politely )
Kudasai -

Tokyo and Osaka are two very different areas. Probably better riding around Osaka and the Kansai/Kyoto Prefectures because it's less populated/congested.

In Tokyo, there are a couple famous spots that all the car and bike guys go to. There's the Izu Skyline, about 2 hours SW of Tokyo. Izu Skyline is pay-to-play, but if you pay for one section, you can get on and off and do that section over and over again. Also Mikuni Pass was made famous by the Fast and Furious movie, Tokyo Drift, where the ricer guys drift their cars around the twisty mountain roads just outside of Tokyo.

Make sure you get an ETC pass with your rental, it'll make travel on the expressways around Japan a lot faster and more convenient than if you had to take the smaller, slower roads. Not cheap though...

For the Kansai and Kyoto regions, so many good roads there just an hour outside of Osaka. Our buddies took us riding all over.

There's a biker hangout called Miyama Fureai Hiroba, north-east of Osaka, where you can grab an ice cream cone and hang out and check out each other's rides:

DSCN4827-L.jpg

DSCN4832-L.jpg

Obviously, good roads in the area as well.

awesome!!!! i've read that heading north on the izu skyline is better than going south, view-wise for mount fuji. but coming from tokyo i guess i'd have to go south first anyway so might just do a fulll back and forth loop through. dont mind the possible extra expense for ETC passes. my work is paying for lodgings and flight so i can probably splurge a bit lol. this sounds like the perfect short little day ride from tokyo. and then i'll find some other short ride over in osaka region when our groups shifts to the west.

I'm also heading to Japan in late June for a few days on the way to Canada to see my very ill son.
I've not been for decades and even tho I'm used to driving opposite side to Canada not sure I want to tackle Tokyo area traffic tho I'd love to ride over to Mount Fulji ( big mountain makes it harder to get lost ).

BTW there is a direct flight Toronto to Tokyo in 12 hours via Air Canada so I'm using that as a less stressful route from Cairns. ( $700 return ) Cairns to Tokyo. I figure splitting up the flight over will be lower stress than the 26-30 hour marathons plus let me see a bit of Tokyo....hotels seem decently priced ...around $250 for 3 nights in middle level place near the downtown airport where the Cairns flight arrives.
I'm likely taking a helmet anyways to ride in Canada so might be fun to two wheel in Tokyo but Tokyo transit is so good and it's not really any sort of a holiday...just a rest stop for a couple of days.

I'm a little leery of health insurance costs now I've over 75 and not sure about travelling with my full set of riding gear as I have stuff in Canada.
Interested to see what bike costs to rent.

Some info here....looking a bit to complicated for my time in Japan.

Yen to dollar is 100-1 so easy conversion to get idea of price.

I have not booked the flight yet so could extend stay a bit.

Yikes :unsure: Population of Canada in one city.:eek:

yah personally i have no interest in riding in the actual cities. hoping to just rent a bike and get out of any major city asap. sorry about your son!

Thanks - coming over in June to see him for a few weeks.

Booked a flight to Canada in June with 3-4 days in Japan most likely in Chiba
....with flat feet and tachycardia walking around cities is not my cuppa and from what I recall Japanese drivers are quite civilized ( I'd never drive in Italy for instance ) so considering a motorcycle rental but the situation is still too fluid. I'll have a helmet and gloves with me and can throw my knee armor into the suitcase as travelling light anyways and have the use of dottors eBike when I get to Toronto. Will wear my tactical pants anyways on the plane...they are my usual airline travel pants ...lots of secure pockets.. and maybe my aging Joe Rocket mesh tho might be smarter to suitcase that.
SInce I'm supposedly riding in Canada makes some sense to take the opportunity for some in Japan.

Right now however, it's 23 degrees and sunny so a ride across the Daintree while the ferry is still free appeals. 🏍️

ok im considering doing a 2-3 day route similar to this

Tour Main Points
map_3D2N_Izu-Hakone-MtFuji-min.png

■Wonderful Riding!
☆Full of nature, winding road at Hakone
☆Izu Skyline, a scenic road overlooking Mt. Fuji and the sea
☆Kawazu Nanadaru Loop Bridge
☆Nishiizu Skyline
■Amazing Sightseeing, Food, and Experience!
☆Highlights at Hakone (traditional crafts, Hakone Shrine, Lake Ashi, Owakudani)
☆Rider's new me㏄a, Bikers Paradise Minamihakone
☆Fresh seafood at Izu
☆Wasabi pickles production experience (advance reservation required)
☆Exciting fishing port meal at Numazu Port

Just debating whether to fit this in near the end of my trip there (to accustom myself to Japan more. Havent been there since i was a kid lol) or do it at the beginning.
Watching some videos on the left side driving and turning right stuff is so weird.

and the traffic light stuff seems a bit nuts but we'll see. will have to remember if the left or right green arrows ARENT lit, im not allowed to turn, even if the straight up green arrow is showing.
2022.05.19-Stoplights-1536x1024.jpg

Good find...I think I could swing the money. I have a little flex on the way over tho not much. I leave for Japan only 3 days after getting back from New Zealand and have currently 4 days available leaving for Canada on the 5th which I do not want to change.
That includes the bike and accommodation ( sharing - not a problem ) and some food.
I tentatively booked for my time in Japan in June...since I would need accommodation and food anyways the the incremental price is reasonable.... I was figuring $5-600 for 4 days with accommodation and food.
I've been several times so will not be entirely foreign to me.
%E9%96%A2%E6%9D%B12%E6%B3%8A3%E6%97%A5.jpg

Covers off Mt Fuji

Store is an hour from the AIrport. If I go for a P4 bike it will cost about $1000 with any of these bikes ...Vstrom 650 I'd be okay with or the NC750x DCT tho I'm thinking I'd be fine with a smaller bike. Surprised the G310GS is in the more expensive column.
These are $100 more for the 3 days. Japan drives on the left which is what I'm used to now.
I'd rather have a familiar bike or a maxi-scoot.
MT-09
NC750X
NC750X-DCT
MT-07
VULCAN S
V STROM650
CB400SB
CB400SF
Z400
G310GS

There is an xMax and a Vstrom 250 available for $100 less total for the three days...the small Vstrom might be the ticket. 31" seat height on the little Vstrom.
The xMax tho has storage which is useful and I'm fine with a scoot.
yamaha-xmax-2021-60be116da5254.jpg
Screen Shot 2023-03-16 at Mar, 16    2023    10.19.25 AM.jpg

Temps in mid 20s in Japan in June.
1678878710749.jpeg1678878746858.jpeg
Since I'm riding kid's eScoot when I get to Canada will bring helmet and gloves and knee pads with me anyways.
Still this looks fun too but I thnk the mid-sized maxi makes more sense.
Suzuki-V-Strom-250-India.jpg

Last edited:
OP there is this right near Narita
Get off the plane and ride. More money than the above for the bike.

i thought about it but i *think* im gonna need a day of recovery first. not sure if i want to hop onto a bike after 15 hour flight in unfamiliar territory just yet!

Mine was a somewhat tongue in cheek comment but you could hotel nearby - just saves some "hither and yon" travel.
There is a direct 12 hour flight to Narita from Toronto.

The tour operator has been excellent to deal with. They will add a hotel
Even solved a problem with my limit on CC for insurance coverage and has this for me.

I'm late to the party, so how did this turn out for everyone?

Just a heads up, no riding up Mt.Fuji in the summer. Doesn't open for private vehicles till late Sept/Early Oct.
My 1st trip to Japan I only caught very fleeting glimpses of Mt.Fuji. It was a huge bummer for me.
Second trip I could see it in all it's glory but it's not as easy to spot as you think. The surround terrain means it's usually obscured.

Sutoppuraito!

Say it out loud a couple of times and you'll get it... :)

lol! I still struggle with Gairaigo (Japanese loan words) It even took me longer than I care to admit that Haioku was just High Octane with a Japanese accent.

awesome!!!! i've read that heading north on the izu skyline is better than going south, view-wise for mount fuji. but coming from tokyo i guess i'd have to go south first anyway so might just do a fulll back and forth loop through. dont mind the possible extra expense for ETC passes. my work is paying for lodgings and flight so i can probably splurge a bit lol. this sounds like the perfect short little day ride from tokyo.

Both directions on Izu Skyline are great. Tbh it's twisty enough you won't be gawking too much at Mt.Fuji, and as I said above, it's usually hiding behind clouds or the terrain around you.
Izu skyline is a toll road but it only accepts CASH. (like a lot of Japan actually) So when you get to the toll booth you have to tell the attendant the name of the exit on the Skyline you will be taking and they will charge you accordingly.

I made a vid awhile ago to help foreigners because it can be a bit intimidating if you don't know what to expect.
There is a nice little parking lot before the Kameishi exit that you can stop at.

Also just north of the Izu Skyline is a great little spot to stop and hang out. Usually full of bikers and cool cars. Inside the building is a great little restaurant called the Damntrax that has good food.

lol! I still struggle with Gairaigo (Japanese loan words) It even took me longer than I care to admit that Haioku was just High Octane with a Japanese accent.

Yeah! Makes even more sense when you use the unshortened word: haiokutan! :D

Another useful word, kado = credit card.

And Makadonarudo?

Hint: it's where you go to order a Big Mac...

I fell off my chair laughing when I heard that!

Yeah! Makes even more sense when you use the unshortened word: haiokutan! :D

Another useful word, kado = credit card.

And Makadonarudo?

Hint: it's where you go to order a Big Mac...

I fell off my chair laughing when I heard that!
tbh i cant wait to try the shrimp filet sandwich lol

In Tokyo overnight on the way to Toronto direct - been too many years to count since I'v been to Narita...what monster.
Being away from the GTA for a couple years anything that smacks of mega city is intimidating...
Jetstar was nice in the air - Dreamliner - but a horror on the ground.
Screen Shot 2023-06-19 at Jun, 19    2023    5.15.19 AM.jpg
Who unloads a wide body to the tarmac ??? :eek:

Laughed at this
Screen Shot 2023-06-19 at Jun, 19    2023    5.16.54 AM.jpg

Back
Top Bottom