Online purchase Q | GTAMotorcycle.com

Online purchase Q

jc100

Let’s say you buy something from a website that offers a fit guide for the components you order. They arrive and one part doesn’t fit. You call in and politely mention that the website might need updating as the component doesn’t fit and can you have an exchange of that one piece sent as it wasn’t your error? A totally rational ask in my opinion. The owner gets a little animated after insisting on shipping fees which I decline (not my error) and then abruptly says ok do you just want a refund? You accept as it’s just not worth the hassle at this point as communication appears to have reached a roadblock, the owner denies all responsibility, and then post back the items on your own dime. So remember, the owner initiates the refund here.

Do you expect a full refund? As that doesn’t appear to be what I have. An ~$200 item currently has a refund of ~$130. This is PayPal so I guess there’s a few options available to me.

Slightly peeved right now.

If you paid thru PayPal you may get some satisfaction of knowing you are giving the seller some grief by filing a complaint.
You cab also file a complaint with your credit card company.
If they are a repeat offender that can also cause them grief.
Buying online is buyer beware.

Last edited:
Let’s say you buy something from a website that offers a fit guide for the components you order. They arrive and one part doesn’t fit. You call in and politely mention that the website might need updating as the component doesn’t fit and can you have an exchange of that one piece sent as it wasn’t your error? A totally rational ask in my opinion. The owner gets a little animated after insisting on shipping fees which I decline (not my error) and then abruptly says ok do you just want a refund? You accept as it’s just not worth the hassle at this point as communication appears to have reached a roadblock, the owner denies all responsibility, and then post back the items on your own dime. So remember, the owner initiates the refund here.

Do you expect a full refund? As that doesn’t appear to be what I have. An ~$200 item currently has a refund of ~$130. This is PayPal so I guess there’s a few options available to me.

Slightly peeved right now.
Yeah, i'd expect full refund and return item at their expense.

Do you still have the item?

I don’t bother with hardheaded vendors. Just initiate a chargeback if the vendor refuses to cover the refund and return shipping.

Make sure you keep email communication, and an account if your issue. Cc companies are pretty good at charging back when incorrect items are sent.

If you paid thru PayPal you may get some satisfaction of knowing you are giving the seller some grief by filing a complaint.
You cab also file a complaint with your credit card company.
If they are a repeat offender that can also cause them grief.
Buying online is buyer beware.

Not cc. PayPal with bank link. Should still have some redress from PayPal though from what I read. If not, I can swallow the $70. My reviews will reflect the level of service I received and then potential purchasers can make their own choices. My guess is that’s going to be multiples of that amount missing from future sales though.

I’ll wait a bit, see if they do the right thing then write my review on this site. I kind of wish I’d read the other reviews first though but I’d had a decent experience with them before for an order but that one didn’t have an issue with it that they needed to address.

Not cc. PayPal with bank link. Should still have some redress from PayPal though from what I read. If not, I can swallow the $70. My reviews will reflect the level of service I received and then potential purchasers can make their own choices. My guess is that’s going to be multiples of that amount missing from future sales though.

I’ll wait a bit, see if they do the right thing then write my review on this site. I kind of wish I’d read the other reviews first though but I’d had a decent experience with them before for an order but that one didn’t have an issue with it that they needed to address.
I'm interested who this seller was regardless of your outcome.

I'm interested who this seller was regardless of your outcome.

I’ll put it in the reviews section in a bit. Just need to see if there’s been a legitimate error that they can put right (it happens) or if the distinct lack of customer service (or customer disdain) I’m apparently experiencing follows the other reviews on this place.

Not sure where you ordered from but I’m seeing an epidemic of offshore vendors shipping anything close hoping for fitment and then just waffling on returns and refunds hoping you just drop it .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

I always check the return/refund policy before ordering. And if anything is unclear, I email them to get the clarification on record. I've never had a problem, so never had to resort to using any evidence against a seller. Then again, I gravitate to sellers with hassle-free return policies, like choosing "sold" by Amazon or "fulfilled" by them if third party seller.

Not sure where you ordered from but I’m seeing an epidemic of offshore vendors shipping anything close hoping for fitment and then just waffling on returns and refunds hoping you just drop it .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Very much onshore unfortunately.

So, not an error. I’ve been charged a 20% restocking fee and charged for the original shipping. I responded with a 5 day limit to return the difference or I start efforts to recoup the money.

I’m wondering if this constitutes fraud at this point. Seller instigates refund for merchant error…keeps 35% of original payment.

So, not an error. I’ve been charged a 20% restocking fee and charged for the original shipping. I responded with a 5 day limit to return the difference or I start efforts to recoup the money.

I’m wondering if this constitutes fraud at this point. Seller instigates refund for merchant error…keeps 35% of original payment.
Just spill the beans.
Who is this dodgy business?

Regardless of the outcome. This is enough to be a red flag for others.

Hoping for a favourable outcome for you.
But based on their behaviour so far I don't think they care to make this right.

After everything is done, write a constructive and concise google review of your experience.
Hopefully the company will learn how to better handle their business transactions, but doubtful...
But, maybe you'll provide good insight for future customers.

Well. No need to wait 5 days. The owner got in touch, no mistake. 20% stocking fee and mailing fees withheld. Still absolutely no responsibility taken for the website information which lead to the faulty purchase at the beginning.

Told him I’d be looking to recover the possibly fraudulently held fees now and subsequently got banned from…

Bayside Performance.

I’ll write a review shortly but the Coles Notes version:

Merchant website said Pazzo lever combination (short brake, long clutch) would fit my bike. Turns out they won’t unless bike is modified (OEM hand guards removed from any side with “long” lever). I assumed that it was a simple omission from the merchant website and requested (politely and quite reasonably) an exchange of the long lever for a short lever pointing out the omission on the website. Owner wanted me to pay shipping ($12) which I refused as it wasn’t my error (it’s not the money, there’s a principle here). The Pazzo website actually has the extra information on it (saw this afterwards) but I again assumed a motorcycle parts website would have the correct information too. Owner refused to accept responsibility as his excuse was -you could have modified the bike- -how do we know what you’ve done- -how can we list information for all options- etc etc. Except I didn’t modify anything, the bike is OEM for controls/levers/etc Owner said “do you want a refund” so I thought that things weren’t going anywhere and they were being unreasonable and slightly irrational so I said yes. Refund came, - 20% stocking fee and - original shipping charges (I paid return shipping though). No mention of the withheld fees during the telephone call and I did not initiate the return, I agreed to it to put an end to dealing with an unreasonable outfit. The fees withheld amount to $70 from a $200 order.

That’s it. You can decide for yourselves if that’s reasonable behaviour. Oddly the worker there seemed to think my request was reasonable when I called in (as have a few others, including Pazzo, who I contacted afterwards) but the decision has to be made by the owner.

I’ve bought from Bayside before years ago and all was fine then. That was for a part there was no issue with though. Subsequently I read through a bunch of reviews from different sources and they nearly all mention customer service issues of the kind I experienced. Sometimes reviews can be unreliable but other times they can be a harbinger of a likely experience, it seems these are the latter unfortunately.

I’ll go through PayPal first. Then look at other options if necessary. Again, it’s not the money involved, it’s the principle of accepting responsibility and acting reasonably when dealing with customers.

Caveat emptor.

Thanks for the head up.
Will keep this in mind if I am ever looking for anything that they are offering. Will most likely pass on purchasing from them.

Back
Top Bottom