One dam thing after another. | GTAMotorcycle.com

One dam thing after another.

nobbie48

Site Supporter
Michigan seems to have nothing but water problems. Lansing and now a couple of flooded towns.

Interesting. Appeared to be no geogrid or anything else reinforcing the earth. I expected it was going to go over the top which is instantly fatal for an earthen dam but it just slumped which is even worse. I would have like to see the next five minutes where the reservoir tried to lower its level by 20 feet.

Interesting. Appeared to be no geogrid or anything else reinforcing the earth. I expected it was going to go over the top which is instantly fatal for an earthen dam but it just slumped which is even worse. I would have like to see the next five minutes where the reservoir tried to lower its level by 20 feet.

IIRC the dam is around 100 years old. The flood caused the next one (Sanford) to breach as well and maybe a third. Now the politics of blame.

Evidently the dam lost its operating license a few years ago, but of course, in the last few decades, properties had been built up along the edges of the lake, and those property owners wanted their docks and the use of the lake, and the municipality wanted their tax revenue. Now they've got nothing.

Evidently the dam lost its operating license a few years ago, but of course, in the last few decades, properties had been built up along the edges of the lake, and those property owners wanted their docks and the use of the lake, and the municipality wanted their tax revenue. Now they've got nothing.
On the tax revenue front, that may be relatively unchanged. In at least one municipality, when a lake shrunk, the municipality created new residential on the newly available land. Sucks to be the people that used to have waterfront lots.

Back
Top Bottom