old new rider!! | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

old new rider!!

It's not about the motorcycle!
It's about your attitude.

And you don't need an ADV to ride 5% off pavement

Last edited:
well what do you suggest?, I sat on a 21 cbx 500 felt pretty comfortable to me . Basicaly i'm looking for something with an upright comfortable riding position
not too heavy powerful enough for the hi way and affordable to purchase and insure.

well what do you suggest?, I sat on a 21 cbx 500 felt pretty comfortable to me . Basicaly i'm looking for something with an upright comfortable riding position
not too heavy powerful enough for the hi way and affordable to purchase and insure.
budget?

8- 12k , a new nx 500 9500 +tx . if used would like 2020 or newer if possible with low km's . I saw in person a 2021 cb500x with 24 km 6900 in very nice shape.

8- 12k , a new nx 500 9500 +tx . if used would like 2020 or newer if possible with low km's . I saw in person a 2021 cb500x with 24 km 6900 in very nice shape.
here's my vote, found at a glance, im sure better pricing could be had;

its actually 20,000km

inline triple, 874cc? i believe

bigger motor, lots of torque, lots of fun. frame should easily be bigger than the cb500x, still a tourer based machine so it has a windscreen and upright comfortable ergos.

GT (like this) model should have a bunch of goodies like traction control, abs, heated grips and cruise control etc.

I actually saw that online but unfortunately my insurance is more expensive due to my lack of coverage in recent years. So far the online quotes I got from riders plus is 166/m for the tracer
for reference the 500x is around 100/month vstrom 650 about 140/month. i could handle 140 if the bike cost was lower but thats still pushing it.
Im waiting for my broker who does my car an house insurance to get back to me so hopefully tomorrow i will have an answer. the insurance is actually the main factor in my budget, fingers crossed.

I pay about $135.00 a month for my car (basic no collision) and my Moto Guzzi V7iii (full load)
I live in Kingston.
I think you will get the best deal with a broker if you bundle everything.
If insurance cost is a big factor avoid buying a motorcycle with R or RR in the name.

here's my vote, found at a glance, im sure better pricing could be had;

its actually 20,000km

inline triple, 874cc? i believe

bigger motor, lots of torque, lots of fun. frame should easily be bigger than the cb500x, still a tourer based machine so it has a windscreen and upright comfortable ergos.

GT (like this) model should have a bunch of goodies like traction control, abs, heated grips and cruise control etc.
That's a good price for a great bike.

Great bike for OPs use. Much for fun than the CB500x ...uses a little more fuel and insurance is higher but you will get some thrills.
My son had a FZ8 and wicked good motor.
Tracer always seems out of the mainstream consciousness say against the Vstroms but from what I've read owners really like them.
Good feature set for your use. Ticks all the boxes if affordable.Screen Shot 2024-03-08 at Mar, 8    2024    3.27.52 PM.jpg
Those triples were a big breakthrough between the twins and the inline 4s and lower costs. Quite a return to riding if you can swing it. (y)

definitely a sweet ride ! too bad they don't have the tracer 7 in Canada

I actually saw that online but unfortunately my insurance is more expensive due to my lack of coverage in recent years. So far the online quotes I got from riders plus is 166/m for the tracer
for reference the 500x is around 100/month vstrom 650 about 140/month. i could handle 140 if the bike cost was lower but thats still pushing it.
Im waiting for my broker who does my car an house insurance to get back to me so hopefully tomorrow i will have an answer. the insurance is actually the main factor in my budget, fingers crossed.
Don't be afraid to call others for insurance quotes. Just because they have your house it does not mean it's the best bike price. My house guys can't touch the price for bike insurance I'm getting from Desjardine.

Also bikes from the big four are pretty well made and reliable. You're looking at nearly new. I would hardly think twice about buying anything built after 2000. ( OK that's not true, I would also be fine with bikes from the 90s but that might be out of your comfort zone)

What do you remember about your previous motorcycles?
What where their faults and good points?
How much power do you REALLY need?
What is it going to cost to maintain the motorcycle?
Tires need to be replaced far more often than on cars. Are multiple options available for my bike?
How far can you go on a tank of gas?
Do you really need all the bells and whistles that manufactures put on motorcycles so they can say NEW & IMPROVED?
If you are looking at a used bike why is the owner selling?
Does it have proper fenders for riding in the rain?
How easy is it to carry all your rain gear, extra gloves and all the things you need to travel? (this is Canada the weather sucks)

lots of good points to think about , just want something reliable for some easy riding thats comfortable o my back and legs.

lots of good points to think about , just want something reliable for some easy riding thats comfortable o my back and legs.
Btw. That Tracer has an adjustable seat from factory.
And it's reliable.

just want something reliable for some easy riding thats comfortable o my back and legs.

Something in the ~600cc cruiser segment would fit that bill as well....cheap (as best as you're going to get at least) to insure, and there's lots of things like the Vstar 650 and such out there as well for half your budget.

hi all good to be here!
I've got the itch back , I got my license back in 81 and rode for about 10 years and haven't ridden since then . And now I'm interested in getting back into riding so I need some help deciding what motorcycle to get . I'm 60 so i need to something pretty comfortable, I've been looking at the new honda nx 500 as well as the transalp
from what I have seen online look right in my ball park. My main concern is that I might be wanting more from the 500 and that's kinda where my budget is , the transalp is about 4k more. I like the weight and size of the 500 , easy to ride basically ill be going on relatively short daytrips and up to the cottage etc. so im basically
looking to hear from cbx 500 owners for input,also any other bike suggestions would be appreciated maybe the vstrom 650? all input is welcome .
Cheers
Check out the latest new member on this forum as he tours on a Honda CB500X

Any opinions on the v strom 800 ( street bias version ) I'm still considering the v strom 650 but the 800 is not much more money and wondering if worth considering ? From what I understand the engine is new compared to the 650 v twin that's been around for ever lol and appears to be bullet proof. I really like Tracer 900, the gt would be nice with the cruise control but for me and the kind of riding I will be doing its probably not worth the extra money ? I should probably just go for the 2015 fj09 flash the ecu and call it a day , it would also save me some money I could use for upgrades, gear etc . I'm driving myself nuts just trying to be as informed as possible before I pull the trigger

Any opinions on the v strom 800 ( street bias version ) I'm still considering the v strom 650 but the 800 is not much more money and wondering if worth considering ? From what I understand the engine is new compared to the 650 v twin that's been around for ever lol and appears to be bullet proof. I really like Tracer 900, the gt would be nice with the cruise control but for me and the kind of riding I will be doing its probably not worth the extra money ? I should probably just go for the 2015 fj09 flash the ecu and call it a day , it would also save me some money I could use for upgrades, gear etc . I'm driving myself nuts just trying to be as informed as possible before I pull the trigger
Just got back from 11 days on a 2015 FJ-09 and will post my opinions tomorrow.
Been awake for over 27 hours so in no condition the think.

Back
Top Bottom