Ok so I need some thoughts on my upgrade | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ok so I need some thoughts on my upgrade

dieselxx

I decided it was time for an upgrade from my ninja 250. I have always had a desire to have a Ducati Monster and pulled the plug on a 2011 Monster 796 ABS used with only 220km (yes 220km). I think it was a good deal considering a new 796 non-abs is $11 500 plus HST. This I am picking up for $10000.

Anyone else have this bike? And any thoughts?
I love the look and the sound and plan on keeping it for many many years. I have read most of the Duc forums and know about the maintenance costs and any problems.
I am a mature rider and plan on respecting the power of this bike as I did with my 250.

As for the little ninja. I plan on keeping it and riding it too. I love that little guy, so fun. In a year I will probably hand it over to the girlfriend and lower it for her.

I decided it was time for an upgrade from my ninja 250. I have always had a desire to have a Ducati Monster and pulled the plug on a 2011 Monster 796 ABS used with only 220km (yes 220km). I think it was a good deal considering a new 796 non-abs is $11 500 plus HST. This I am picking up for $10000.

Anyone else have this bike? And any thoughts?
I love the look and the sound and plan on keeping it for many many years. I have read most of the Duc forums and know about the maintenance costs and any problems.
I am a mature rider and plan on respecting the power of this bike as I did with my 250.

As for the little ninja. I plan on keeping it and riding it too. I love that little guy, so fun. In a year I will probably hand it over to the girlfriend and lower it for her.

Its not a powerful bike, so that's not really a concern. I am shoppinf for a 696 or 796 myself.

Its not a missile like you get with a 600, but far more likely to want to stand on the back wheel in first gear. Yay twins.

A friend has the 1100 and while it's a fun bike there are two things I would fix. The seat slope keeps shoving me into the tank and the vibration through the bars is excessive (which may not affect your bike). Fun machines.

Its not a powerful bike, so that's not really a concern. I am shoppinf for a 696 or 796 myself.

It makes more torque than a 600 supersport... and it delivers the power much lower in the revs, and pumps it through much shorter gearing.

A far less forgiving bike than a 600 that's for damned sure.

A friend has the 1100 and while it's a fun bike there are two things I would fix. The seat slope keeps shoving me into the tank and the vibration through the bars is excessive (which may not affect your bike). Fun machines.

Completely agree. I have heard about the sliding on the seat. From what Ive read the Ducati performance seats fix that problem so I may have to purchase one.

It makes more torque than a 600 supersport... and it delivers the power much lower in the revs, and pumps it through much shorter gearing.

A far less forgiving bike than a 600 that's for damned sure.

Makes very close to the same torque as a 600. There is not a large disparity in that respect. The only real difference is at which RPM this happens. I disagree on it being less forgiving. I felt it to be very controllable and definately quite mild on the top end.

Makes very close to the same torque as a 600. There is not a large disparity in that respect. The only real difference is at which RPM this happens. I disagree on it being less forgiving. I felt it to be very controllable and definately quite mild on the top end.

If 8-10ft.lbs isn't a large disparity... then sure, whatever.

Im not saying its a crazy bike or anything, but it has more grunt than a 600. "Forgiveness" is a matter of strong mid-range, IMO... not peak horsepower. The M796 will more readily wanna let the rear tire go and put the front one in the air, as a function of its torque and gearing.

Completely agree. I have heard about the sliding on the seat. From what Ive read the Ducati performance seats fix that problem so I may have to purchase one.

He has the performance seat! He states it's better than the original, in which case the original must sit at 45 degrees. The performance seat still needs to be modified.

Get tank grips, they make a world of difference and will keep your balls intact. I have Tech Spec pads, bluestreakracing.ca stocks them, worth every penny.

The seat was also an issue with my 1098. I got the performance seat, problem solved. The seat has the same shape as the stock but the material used holds you in place thus keeping you from slidding into the tank. I've had mine for 4 years and still looks good.

When it comes to Ducati bikes, the way the power and torque is delivered makes the bike feel more powerfull than the numbers seem to indicate, great bike to ride on the street, the power is where you need it, at the Lower RPMS. Enjoy the new bike; it's a great bike.

Back
Top Bottom