Oil inside Air Filter compartment | GTAMotorcycle.com

Oil inside Air Filter compartment

thegamb8

So I got me a 2003 V Star 1100 yesterday and I was cleaning the bike today. I was curious to see what the air filter of the V Star looked like so I unscrewed the filter cover and took out the air filter.

Everything seemed fine but in a few seconds I noticed oil dripping on the garage floor and when I looked there was a oil inside my cover and everything was dripping from the hole behind the air filter. I immediately put the filter back and replaced the cover.

What gives?

I bought this bike from GP bikes and i'm sure they've checked everything before selling it to me.

But, is this normal? Should I be giving them a call?

That is not normal as far as I know, and yes I woudl call and report your findings since you just bought the bike.

My VTX1800 does the same thing sometimes. The big twins will suck a bit of oil out of the crank case. Not that unusual.

If your crankcase is vented into your air filter housing you will get oil build up in the housing.

Im sure a quick google search will uncover several Vstar forums, I would check in there for other owners experiences. I know on the Vulcan forums "oil in air filter" threads are pretty common.

Ok it definitely looks to be normal. I just got off the phone with a service technician at GP bikes and he pretty much said the same thing. The crank is vented to the air filter and the steam can make the oil condense there. He recommended leaving it alone but suggested wiping the oil off if there was too much there.

I feel much better now.

Ok it definitely looks to be normal. I just got off the phone with a service technician at GP bikes and he pretty much said the same thing. The crank is vented to the air filter and the steam can make the oil condense there. He recommended leaving it alone but suggested wiping the oil off if there was too much there.

I feel much better now.

Wow, sorry for my post. I hope it did not lead to any scares. I best be brushing up on my knowledge on V Stars. But calling to confirm was a good call.

Wow, sorry for my post. I hope it did not lead to any scares. I best be brushing up on my knowledge on V Stars. But calling to confirm was a good call.

Hahaha no worries bud! I'm a noob to cruisers so i'll have many scares ;)

check your oil level with the bike up right not on the sidestand, too much oil in the crankcase can cause this problem

Back
Top Bottom