Oil Frothing... Really that bad? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Oil Frothing... Really that bad?

wearelopey

So I've noticed my oil is frothing ever so slightly. Seems like my oil level is alright though.

Is frothing an automatic no no (I should remove some oil), or is a little frothing ok?

What oil are you using? Some are more resistant to frothing than others. It CAN be because of the level being too high, or it can be because of properties of the oil itself. If it is "ever so slightly", it is unlikely to be doing any harm.

Im using motul 5100 (the semi synthetic one whichever it is).

Theres a very small layer on top of my oil in the window of small bubbles (read tiny bubbles); especially when I ride my bike hard (aka going up north, closer to redline shifting etc)

Bike is an SV1000S if that makes any difference

Try switching to Rotella T6 on your next change, it has been amazing for me in my VFR.

Not the first time I've seen or heard of frothing with Motul motorcycle oils (the other instance involved the much-vaunted 300V synthetic). If switching to something else makes the issue go away, that wouldn't be the first time, either.

Well if the air is coming out of the oil then it could be that the oil has defoamers in it that are doing their job. As long as there is no foam being picked up by your oil pump you should be okay.

Does oil have anti frothing properties?
Try a different oil

Sent from my tablet using my paws

Not the first time I've seen or heard of frothing with Motul motorcycle oils (the other instance involved the much-vaunted 300V synthetic). If switching to something else makes the issue go away, that wouldn't be the first time, either.

Interesting, I didn't know this was a known thing with Motul. I noticed it last yr looking in the oil window when it was getting cold out (~ 7C or below). I'm running full synth Ipone right now. I'm interested to see if the same thing happens.

I can't remember who did the test on oil frothing but OMG even just little bubbles in the oil severely dropped the oil pressure! They were testing that Lucas oil stabilizer, which was causing HUGE frothing in the oil.

I'm running Amsoil MCF in my bike. After I beat it up and slosh the oil around with some wheelies I'll shut her off and see if I can see any bubbles in the sight glass :)

-Jamie M.

I doubt its the 5100, Ive been using it for about 10 years in all my sport bikes and mini bikes and never had a problem......Unless some how you got a bad batch

Rotella was originally meant for diesel engines, and in the North American market, that means it has to not cause a problem with the Ford Powerstroke engines that have the injectors actuated by engine oil ... those have a BIG problem if the oil does not have sufficient anti-foaming properties.

I doubt if the Motul in question is actually foaming up enough to actually cause an oil pressure problem. The 300V in the other application that I mentioned was foaming visibly, but not actually causing a problem.

Back
Top Bottom