Off Road places to ride | GTAMotorcycle.com

Off Road places to ride

Merkid

Can anyone suggest some locations west of the GTA where someone can run their off road bikes without getting in trouble?

I used to trailer my Honda XL to some private land development sites with their permission and prior to their construction activity but not too many of those land tracts exist today.

You are going to have a really tough time finding legal places. Joining a group like OFTR will help. But you will still have to travel a long way to get to any trails.
The SOCT has areas for thier competitions were spectators are welcome, but you will not be allowed to join in unless you have signed up.
Good luck.

I'm not aware of anything west of the GTA. Closest legal place would be Simcoe Forest, which requires an OFTR membership.

Like i said. Lots of places. Check out the schedule here.

Can anyone suggest some locations west of the GTA where someone can run their off road bikes without getting in trouble?

I used to trailer my Honda XL to some private land development sites with their permission and prior to their construction activity but not too many of those land tracts exist today.

Good question. There used to be some good places to do it but now it's a veritable desert for off-road west and northwest of the GTA. They've blocked off the old Lockyer's Pit in Orangeville, though I still see the odd kid coming out of there with a motocross bike. That place was primo for dirt riding. Developers buying up all the land. Nasty Toronto transplants calling the cops on anyone having fun.

Any chance of getting that same DM? I'm in the same boat - trailering to the ganny from almost London.
If you want somewhere quite a bit closer try the trail loops at Gopher Dunes sometime. Fun, safe, flowy trails just outside of Tillsonburg.

It’s not a replacement for riding somewhere like the Ganny or Simcoe county forest but still a good time.

If you want somewhere quite a bit closer try the trail loops at Gopher Dunes sometime. Fun, safe, flowy trails just outside of Tillsonburg.

It’s not a replacement for riding somewhere like the Ganny or Simcoe county forest but still a good time.

Simcoe trails are good. Sandy, but if you ride it after a rainfall the traction is ok.

I was under the impression that the places I had found in 2019 were private, however looking at their FB pages, it looks like they are public, so here they are...

Gopher Dunes in Courtland www.gopherdunes.com (everyone knows this place already)
Hawks Nest ATV Park in Hagersville (on Facebook) (519) 445-2326
The 15 Practice Track in Woodstock (on Facebook) (519) 467-0431

Hubby and I were going to get a couple of XT250s (still might) and check them out, but we never did so I have no idea what their facilities are like...happy riding! :D

I was under the impression that the places I had found in 2019 were private, however looking at their FB pages, it looks like they are public, so here they are...

Gopher Dunes in Courtland www.gopherdunes.com (everyone knows this place already)
Hawks Nest ATV Park in Hagersville (on Facebook) (519) 445-2326
The 15 Practice Track in Woodstock (on Facebook) (519) 467-0431

Hubby and I were going to get a couple of XT250s (still might) and check them out, but we never did so I have no idea what their facilities are like...happy riding! :D
Thanks already knew about those ones was hoping for some hidden gem.

Sent using a thumb maybe 2

Really nothing left. We used to beat up the clay pits in Burlington with dozens of bikes at a time but long gone.
MotoPark is lots of fun but a hike...you can leave your bike there.
There are trails and a smaller track as well.
Closed for the season but well worth the effort.
Very family friendly. Good facility

I received some feedback from one of the GTA land developers that I used to work with in my previous life..

He indicated that their holdings include large tracks of fenced off greenfield lands being held up in Brampton's development approval processes and that I should contact him in the spring to see about getting access to them.

I'll update everyone in about 6 months.... :cool:

I received some feedback from one of the GTA land developers that I used to work with in my previous life..

He indicated that their holdings include large tracks of fenced off greenfield lands being held up in Brampton's development approval processes and that I should contact him in the spring to see about getting access to them.

I'll update everyone in about 6 months.... :cool:
LOL. Maybe he's thinking that a bunch of dirt bikes tearing around will shake Brampton into action to get the shovels in the ground on the development.

LOL. Maybe he's thinking that a bunch of dirt bikes tearing around will shake Brampton into action to get the shovels in the ground on the development.
This is a bit ironic. The event in Ontario that started a lot of land closures was in Brampton. Late 70's i think. Kids repeatedly tore down a fence and trespass sign at a big woodlot on the north edge of the city. Owner got tired of fixing it and left it down long enough for a kid to get in and was killed in a head-on with another trespasser who was unhurt.
The court judged that the landowner didn't do everything it could have to prevent the accident and awarded a couple million to the family.
Fences and signs went up everywhere.

This is a bit ironic. The event in Ontario that started a lot of land closures was in Brampton. Late 70's i think. Kids repeatedly tore down a fence and trespass sign at a big woodlot on the north edge of the city. Owner got tired of fixing it and left it down long enough for a kid to get in and was killed in a head-on with another trespasser who was unhurt.
The court judged that the landowner didn't do everything it could have to prevent the accident and awarded a couple million to the family.
Fences and signs went up everywhere.
I remember that, but differently. Maybe it was another case though.

As I recall it was a kid who did what you said but ended up paralyzed. After many years it went to the supreme court and he was found mostly liable for his situation and the payout was greatly reduced but not eliminated.

The "die had been cast" as they say and land access had become restricted and that never went away.

I remember that, but differently. Maybe it was another case though.

As I recall it was a kid who did what you said but ended up paralyzed. After many years it went to the supreme court and he was found mostly liable for his situation and the payout was greatly reduced but not eliminated.

The "die had been cast" as they say and land access had become restricted and that never went away.
I think you are correct.

Back
Top Bottom