Octane Booster: Snake oil or not? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Octane Booster: Snake oil or not?

Go buy a bucket of VP or Sunoco race fuel, put your kit on the dyno and see if it really makes any difference. I'm willing to bet for the average street bike the answer is no. Anything with EFI will compensate automatically and you'll get slightly higher numbers, but I doubt it would be appreciable. Seat of the pants comparisons are meaningless.

If the bike doesn't NEED high octane fuel, absolutely. People used to run it solely to avoid ethanol, but that's history now, so IMHO you're wasting your money if the manufacturer says high octane isn't necessary.

But, some bikes and some vehicles legitimately need it due to high compression engines, non-naturally aspirated engines, or aggressive timing curves. Can most modern vehicles use regular in lieu without suffering damage? Yeah, for the most part...but not always 100%. But in order to protect themselves those engines will severely retard timing to avoid detonation issues, and pulling timing pulls horsepower - quite often a LOT of horsepower. And when that happens, people often push on the go-pedal harder to make up for it, using more fuel - so there are times when the "savings" of using 87 vs the 91 the vehicle calls for ends up costing you more in decreased fuel economy.

I owned a 1997 Grand Prix GTP with the supercharged engine. Required minimum 91, and I tried 87 a few times and it turned into a complete turd in the horsepower department - as soon as the boost started to come in you could feel the computer pull timing and the HP would fall on it's face.

My current motorcycle has a performance and rideability tune that fixes some shortcomings in the stock tuning, and that tune requires premium now, unfortunately. But the cost per tank is literally a few dollars difference, so in the grand scheme of this hobby, it is what it is.

Ended up getting a bottle of this from CT:

vp-racing-octane-booster-946ml-a954c73e-8f7d-4e7b-adfb-3e781f574f3d.png

Some of the guys on Thumpertalk said it worked well on 4T thumpers. One bottle does 45L of gas, so it should last us a few tankfuls.

I looked at the same stuff at the local auto parts store. Written in the fine print: "Not for use in vehicles equipped with oxygen sensors." or something to that effect.

I'm no expert, so do your own research.

Update:

Glad I bought a can of octane booster. We've been in Mexico for a couple of weeks now, in mainly populated areas, but the last few days, we're well off the beaten path and we've finally hit a gas station that only dispenses 87.

Even though I've been filling up with 91 on the government-owned Pemex gas stations, I've been experiencing bad bogging in low revs. I've had to drop down a gear or two for the speed that I normal cruise at to avoid the engine stumbling. Fuel consumption was horrible as a result.

octanium.jpg

Poured a half-can of Octanium in the tank (500 ml brings 10L of 87 up to 91), and the difference was night and day. The 87+Octanium ran so much better than the 91 that we've been using down here. The engine ran smoother across the entire rev range and I'm back to being able to keep the same gear/speed ratio that I normally use.

This stuff really works! Would totally recommend it for anyone traveling to places where high test is required and may not be available.

Had to use the entire can for my wife's bike and mine, so now we're out of Octanium. I don't see how we can carry multiple cans for a long trip in the future - takes up too much space...

Oh well. Hopefully, we'll be back in more populated areas with premium gas on tap.

Last edited:
Update:

Glad I bought a can of octane booster. We've been in Mexico for a couple of weeks now, in mainly populated areas, but the last few days, we're well off the beaten path and we've finally hit a gas station that only dispenses 87.

Even though I've been filling up with 91 on the government-owned Pemex gas stations, I've been experiencing bad bogging in low revs. I've had to drop down a gear or two for the speed that I normal cruise at to avoid the engine stumbling. Fuel consumption was horrible as a result.

View attachment 60333

Poured a half-can of Octanium in the tank (500 ml brings 10L of 87 up to 91), and the difference was night and day. The 87+Octanium ran so much better than the 91 that we've been using down here. The engine ran smoother across the entire rev range and I'm back to being able to keep the same gear/speed ratio that I normally use.

This stuff really works! Would totally recommend it for anyone traveling to places where high test is required and may not be available.

Had to use the entire can for my wife's bike and mine, so now we're out of Octanium. I don't see how we can carry multiple cans for a long trip in the future - takes up too much space...

Oh well. Hopefully, we'll be back in more populated areas with premium gas on tap.
Decant cans into fuel containers and strap that as luggage? Or if travel is an issue, mail it ahead?

Decant cans into fuel containers and strap that as luggage? Or if travel is an issue, mail it ahead?

Yes, good idea! 5L of Octanium in a fuel bladder. Perfect, thanks!

As for mailing ahead, we're just wandering around like we usually do. We don't even know where we'll be 48 hours from now.

Can you even mail combustibles?

Yes, good idea! 5L of Octanium in a fuel bladder. Perfect, thanks!

As for mailing ahead, we're just wandering around like we usually do. We don't even know where we'll be 48 hours from now.

Can you even mail combustibles?
I meant 'mail' it to some kinda home base (or where you land/pickup moto). Then you can decant for the rest of the trip.

100%. The big lettering is horribly and intentionally misleading, but when you read the fine print, some are even worse than that......I've seen stuff on the shelf at Canadian Tire that says "treats 100L and adds 10 points!" so people think they're going from 87 to 97 on a 100L tank of gas, but when you start reading the fine print you see that you might only get to 87.5 Octone, and getting up to 91 on a 100L fill up would need literally 5-7 bottles of the stuff.

Anyhow, I bought a bottle of the VP Octanium as well 2 years ago on the original James Bay Road planning days as my bike needs at least 90 octane, and it's still sitting on the shelf in my garage. One bottle will raise 38L of gas (basically 2 fill ups on my bike if not running on fumes) from 87 to 94 (7 full octane points), so I should be able to use a half dose to go from 87 to 90, so each bottle should do about 4 fill ups, or about 1000km.

Having done the math now I can see I'm going to need another bottle for the JBR trip as I'm pretty sure I've read that the Relais381 doesn't have premium anymore, and I have my doubts about finding it at Chisasibi or Radisson either.
Tom Waits "The big print giveth and the small print taketh away" (from Step Right Up)

I use this to get from 91 to the 95 required for my 2 stroke jetsurf. Much cheaper than buying blended fuel to 95. Have had no problem and seems to burn cleanly.

Back
Top Bottom