Nova Scotia active shooter | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Nova Scotia active shooter

This is some crazy story, like something out of a movie. I normally do not get interested in stuff like this, but I am curious of the details and findings.

This is some crazy story, like something out of a movie. I normally do not get interested in stuff like this, but I am curious of the details and findings.

I'm only interested in the chain of events so we can hopefully prevent a recurrence. I'll pass on any gore.

Unfortunately the guy is dead and we can't ask him why and what we could have done to keep him from wanting to do this.

It seems more efficient to ban crazy people. Allegedly there was a previous disturbance with this guy that needed a half dozen cruisers to resolve. If you are doing things that require that amount of police effort to resolve, the signs were clearly there.

We all know someone that isn't quite right and get used to their quirks. Then one day we realize the quirks were just the tip of the iceberg.

Police reaction protocols in rural areas may be different than in urban areas so what happens in the boonies gets handled differently due to the risks.

It seems to have been "well planned" and not a just snapped incident.

People likely got the emergency messages (phone, TV etc.) to secure in place, then a cop car pulls up and a guy dressed as a cop walks up, they opened their door... never mind how early on I bet he could just drive past road blocks etc. in the confusion. All thought out by this guy...

Uniforms (or something that looks very close) are not hard to come by as they are pretty standard. The crests (or similar) can also be had easily. Decals for the "cruiser" can be done a cheap vinyl cutter. Lights etc. are all available online, sometimes for totally different purposes like off road light bars modified... (not exact but looks close enough). None of that is hard, but it takes time and planning not a snap decision.

People close to the ass-hole likely saw things that seemed odd or quirky at the time (and likely slowly escalated), now they will have the self guilt of not doing anything (hindsight being 20/20...), adding to the tragedy for them.

Mourning the victims, this is a tragedy.

19 victims and growing, going be a long while healing from this

19 victims and growing, going be a long while healing from this
Across 16 different sites. That's shocking. The huge Paris attack had more bodies but it was only at six locations (and had a team of bastards).

Across 16 different sites. That's shocking. The huge Paris attack had more bodies but it was only at six locations (and had a team of bastards).
going to be an inquire in to how things went so wrong on all levels.

going to be an inquire in to how things went so wrong on all levels.
Apparently the police car had a lot to do with it. It wasn't apparent initially that he looked like a cop. If he hadn't given his car a unique identification number, even once they knew, it would have been a huge issue for police to deal with. Afaik, police cars aren't equipped with any kind of active transponder to identify them. Sure, they may have GPS, but every police car calling in every other police car they see to check if they are on the map is not feasible.

It is clearly worth investigating and trying to improve, but if you have a single person with bad intentions, unless they are a complete idiot and blab before, stopping them before the situation is horrendous is not possible.

If police cars had a special transponder to identify them as police cars to other police cars (some sort of IFF)....someone can use it as an early warning police car detector. GPS tracking them of course does not track one that is fake as it does not have a GPS tracker...

As expected there are some tragic stories coming out of this. Apparently five properties were burned. Police expect more bodies in the rubble.

One guy was posting the alerts on facebook last night, then a post that said "Way too close for comfort." in response to an RCMP tweet about the location of the bastard, then a string of posts regarding friends that had been killed. :(

Apparently two or three were killed attempting to either stop the guy or help those that were injured. A strangely high number of VON employees on the list so far too.

If police cars had a special transponder to identify them as police cars to other police cars (some sort of IFF)....someone can use it as an early warning police car detector. GPS tracking them of course does not track one that is fake as it does not have a GPS tracker...
Yeah, I'm not saying that is perfect (nor financially viable, nor required). Just trying to work out out the hell the poor people on the ground are supposed to deal with that mess while it's happening. If they went with the transponder approach, it could probably be quite easily encrypted and broadcast on a common frequency. The burst could probably be so short as to be audibly undetectable. Alternatively, a better solution might be to be able to stream the location of all police cars back to a moving map in each car. That has benefits beyond this situation.

Yeah, I'm not saying that is perfect (nor financially viable, nor required). Just trying to work out out the hell the poor people on the ground are supposed to deal with that mess while it's happening. If they went with the transponder approach, it could probably be quite easily encrypted and broadcast on a common frequency. The burst could probably be so short as to be audibly undetectable. Alternatively, a better solution might be to be able to stream the location of all police cars back to a moving map in each car. That has benefits beyond this situation.

i think what will happen is they will bring more people in, the longer the investigation goes the more opportunity things will get over looked

this makes no sense, Downhomers wear there emotions on there sleeves. to have this kinda thing happen in rural areas is devastating to small community's

We phoned a friend who lives an hour or two north of the main assault area and she is OK. Considering the evil planning put into the rest of the attack I wouldn't discount some of the victims being targeted.

i talked to my friends and they said this guy was stopping people on the roads with the cop car he had and was shooting them on the side of the road

Based on what the Premier of NS said today, it sounds like they did not use the emergency alert system. They sent messages out on Twitter etc. but not on EAS, he couold not say why specifically. I think in the context it may have saved some lives.

Apparently the police car had a lot to do with it. It wasn't apparent initially that he looked like a cop. If he hadn't given his car a unique identification number, even once they knew, it would have been a huge issue for police to deal with.

It is clearly worth investigating and trying to improve,

The RCMP stated today that the car is an important piece to the puzzle and they will track down everything they can to see how it was created.

Based on what the Premier of NS said today, it sounds like they did not use the emergency alert system. They sent messages out on Twitter etc. but not on EAS, he couold not say why specifically. I think in the context it may have saved some lives.
As much as I complain about the idiocy of how it is currently used in ontario (eg amber alert from thunder bay in south ontario 16 hours before the suspect, victim or car could possibly be there), this scenario seems to be the perfect time to blow up every phone in the area. You specifically want to wake up everyone and make them actively change their actions and/or look out the window.

Back
Top Bottom