No Plate | GTAMotorcycle.com

No Plate

Merkid

I'm in a tough spot being 2hrs from my home and now a cager called me out for no plate on my bike. It must have loosened and dropped off today. On top of that, my ownership papers aren't under the seat where I usually keep them. I do have my insurance info on my phone however.

Does anyone know the charge for riding without such?

I'm in OPP country so don't know how obliging they might be to let me keep riding it home..

I'm in a tough spot being 2hrs from my home and now a cager called me out for no plate on my bike. It must have loosened and dropped off today. On top of that, my ownership papers aren't under the seat where I usually keep them. I do have my insurance info on my phone however.

I'm in OPP country so don't know how obliging they might be to let me keep riding it home..
Call CAA - don't take the chance.

Call CAA or start riding or walking it back home.
All three options have risks and rewards..

Pink slip should have the vin on it and your name. I would ride it. Dont do anything to attract attention. On the small chance you have to talk to a cop, tell the story. You have enough paperwork that is doesnt look stolen or dirty after a check. Its a fixit ticket anyway. Trying to get caa for a multi-hour tow normally turns into an all day affair and often damages the bike. Report the old plate lost amd get a new one before you ride again.

It would be a bunch of fix it tickets.

However, i believe the police can tow and impound a vehicle that doesn't have registration on hand. If you don't have a photo of it handy I'd probably call CAA.

My experience is OPP have stone hearts when it comes to tickets, particularly if you're passing through 'their turf'. I don't know how much more suspicious it gets than no plate, no ownership, and an insurance pic on a phone.

Look for the closest SO office, take the chance on driving there. Get your plate and ownership replaced then ride home.

Yes, I held off until it was near dusk. Took a number of back roads so a longer ride but luckily never encountered anyone.

Off to Service Ont this morning.

Thanks for the feedback.
Glad you made it. There are differences between riding without the legal requirements and riding while not able to produce them. While the latter are less expensive they still mess with your day.

Did the plate fall off or was it stolen? Record as stolen with the MOT so you don't get visits from LEOs.

With the technology available, wouldn't an officer be able to check on the validity of a plate if you can provide him with the number?

Yes. But there is a ticket for fail to display which he was guilty of. You would hope some discression was used but cant count on it.
Pretty easy to get taken care of in court usually

I doubt that an officer would let it go once stopped and no matter how legitimate honest your story sounded .
I'm sure they would have issued the ticket and allow you to fight it in court.

Yes, I held off until it was near dusk. Took a number of back roads so a longer ride but luckily never encountered anyone.

Off to Service Ont this morning.

Thanks for the feedback.
Mine disappeared once, wasn't sure if i lost it on a ride or it was nicked. Bought these from Can tire, the nuts won't back off and it comes with a special allen key to remove the bolts.

You could duct tape the allen key to the back of your plate. That way it's always handy!;)

Lost a plate off my DRZ. Didn't notice it gone until I was wheeling it into the garage. Dirtbikes!

Surprised nobody has mentioned - any vehicle can lose a plate; swing by a police station to fill out a report and then ride it home. Obviously don't keep operating for weeks like that, but the police are a lot more understanding if you made your diligence and reported it as lost or stolen, and then went to replace it when it was reasonable to do so. Nobody expects you to park it hours away from home.

Back
Top Bottom