No More Superbikes for KTM - CEO Says They're Too Dangerous For Public Roads | GTAMotorcycle.com

No More Superbikes for KTM - CEO Says They're Too Dangerous For Public Roads

CafeRay

No More Superbikes for KTM - CEO Says They're Too Dangerous For Public Roads

http://therideadvice.com/no-more-superbikes-for-ktm-ceo-says-theyre-too-dangerous-for-public-roads/

"There’s a headline you won’t enjoy reading, especially if you’re a fan of KTM and their underrated 1190 RC8. KTM CEO and President Stefan Pierer has stated in no uncertain terms that he believes as a producer of sportsbikes, KTM has a serious responsibility to their customers regarding safety and that therefore means saving you from yourself."

"But let’s be honest, if your Superbike is reaching 200 horsepower or more, it’s impossible to argue that it belongs on the street. It really doesn’t, anymore.

As soon as the RC16 is available for customers we will stop with the RC8. The design is outstanding. I would say it’s still state of the art, and there is nothing else like it. It’s a classic Superbike. But with the increase in safety concerns, I’m afraid bikes like this don’t belong on the street, only on a closed course."

discuss.

Guess it wasent selling well and they tried to put a positive spin on it?... but why did they just come out with the superduke 1290 r??? doesnt the same logic apply to that?!?!?

btw, im a ktm fan

Guess it wasent selling well and they tried to put a positive spin on it?... but why did they just come out with the superduke 1290 r??? doesnt the same logic apply to that?!?!

No kidding.

I read the announcement this way:

"We couldn't sell any RC8s because they were overpriced, they under-performed and the looks are polarising. As a result, we're just going to tell everyone that 200hp superbikes are crazy. CRAZY. OMG SO CRAZY. That way we don't have to admit that we couldn't compete and weren't successful enough with the RC8 program to invest in a competitive bike."

Don't get me wrong, I like the looks of the RC8, and I think it's about as good as anything if you're riding it on the street.

I think the RC8 is ugly as ****, but whatever... I think that superduke looks kinda funny too but its comfy and should sell well. You win some, you lose some, in my books KTM makes good products.

That's just crazy. So crazy :lmao:

Seriously not shocked. Nice way to put a positive spin on the our sales are **** story

Nice way to put a positive spin on the our sales are **** story

and not to mention that several European companies are starting to put muzzles on super bikes. For example, France, a huge market, doesn't allow bikes with more than 100hp to be registered. Your brand new shiny Kawi supercharged bike caps out at 100hp via ECU restriction. Sure, you can get it refreshed, but you have to get your vehicles inspected every 2 years in most countries in Europe. Would mean re-flashing back, removing all performance mods, getting tested, then reinstall and re-flash. A bit pain in the butt.

From what I understand, several other countries are considering such measures, Switzerland and Austria being 2 of those countries.

So, maybe, just maybe, KTM is getting some sort of government tax breaks by removing their Superbike from the market. Never mind that the SuperDuke makes the same power, it's not a Super Bike class. All in public perception.

Why do you guys assume its due to poor sales...

Wtf is wrong with everyone instantly jumping to negative conclusions.....

Why do you guys assume its due to poor sales...

Wtf is wrong with everyone instantly jumping to negative conclusions.....
Because sales were poor

Meh, I'm not sure I believe the quote. If it's true, it looks like a CEO is going to lose his job.

so...while these guys are scared to put out liter bikes Kawi is sitting there no ****'s given pumping out supercharged beasts :lmao:

At least they didn't entirely leave out the possibility of superbikes he just said not for the street....

"But let’s be honest, if your Superbike is reaching 200 horsepower or more, it’s impossible to argue that it belongs on the street. It really doesn’t, anymore... But with the increase in safety concerns, I’m afraid bikes like this don’t belong on the street, only on a closed course."

It only takes an idiot on a 50cc bike to not belong on the street.

With the Euro4 emissions coming into effect in 2016, which will require OBD and testing after 50,000k of every model and emissions revamp if there is a fail, the cost of 200hp rockets that meet road regs may get very difficult to build and sell. If sales were not rocking the office to start, no more money in the bucket will be the CEO's new focus. I would expect the landscape in Europe to change significantly in the next 2 years.

Perhaps sales weren't great but could it also be that the reason the sales were poor was people simply didn't want to buy a bike which would be hard pressed to meet new incoming regulations?

Would you buy a brand new bike that you knew likely wouldn't in two years any longer be road legal?

Perhaps sales weren't great but could it also be that the reason the sales were poor was people simply didn't want to buy a bike which would be hard pressed to meet new incoming regulations?

Would you buy a brand new bike that you knew likely wouldn't in two years any longer be road legal?

I can't see the regulations outlawing every bike previously sold under the old regime. Even by European nanny-statery that would be insane.

I can't see the regulations outlawing every bike previously sold under the old regime. Even by European nanny-statery that would be insane.

Didn't say it would, ALthough we all know gov't does stupid things all the time...lol But they various gov't could argue that the regs apply to all bikes built after the regs and implementation date was announced. They could argue the manufacturer knew what the new regs would be and therefore should have started to build compliant bikes going forward. I am sure the 2016 bikes will HAVE to be compliant.

I think it's perfectly viable for a CEO to look over the whole motorcycle landscape and decide to reject one area to concentrate on another. Why fight for scraps at the very high when you can sell boatloads in the middle? The RC 390 shows the hunger for less stupid sport bikes. Building on that with 490, 590 etc opens up a whole new class of warfare and sales.

Back
Top Bottom