No Harley Bikes here ..? | Page 16 | GTAMotorcycle.com

No Harley Bikes here ..?

Some people are too busy having adventures on their bike to worry about what the definition of an adventure bike is.

2001-2006%20Crossing%20the%20Sahara.jpg
For the win!!

They did! Not quite tho. The oldest trained recruits on motorcycles just west of Waterloo in Baden. The younger one on the pillion seat spent the war in London communications. My wife's dad marched thru France, Belgium and Holland. Saw lots of action and spent a long time in the hospital with ptsd after the war. We have his helmet in the basement. It has a bullet hole in the front of it.

The big ADV catagory was invented by BMW, nobody saw anything like it till the Paris/Dakar when the GS showed up on the start line.
Yup, the 850GS, love to own one. The 850 GS changed the game, dual-sports out, ADV invented. 80-85 BMW won 4 time on that platform, eventually Honda and Yamaha regained dominance with the African Twin and SuperTen, that lasted till KTM decided to own the rally.

Honda, Kawasaki and Yamaha have bikes that are very competitive with the Harley tourer.
If i had a Harley in my garage, it would be a 48 knucklehead.

'48 Knucklhead ??. I believe they they only made them 'till '47. '48 was the first year for the Panhead wasn't it ?. Perhaps someone else has mentioned this already. Haven't read the whole thread.

Not a big H-D fan really. Have owned one in the distant past & ridden a few others. The odd one intrigues me. Certainly wouldn't have one as my only bike. They don't have enough functional qualities to meet my needs, which include a price point that I could substantiate

Many of their owners seem to want to make a fashion statement more than have a machine for any use based activities. Beyond riding in parades for charity & parking in front of bar patios that is. Still... some of them are serious riders. Many of the elitist Eurobike crowd do the same thing at Starbucks. Some of them are serious riders too.

I just love the stereotype of the HD owners that don’t seem to ride there bikes.
Far as I can tell when you look on kijiji the HD’s seem to have more km.
Usually the first bikes out and the last put away for winter are HD that I see.
The other day I spotted a few bikes out on a cold sunny day and they sure as sh!t were not Honda’s.
As for the cost well.
I traded mine in with 103,000km and a Japanese bike dealer gave me $8100 for it so they do hold there value pretty well.

Now I love most bikes and have no brand loyalty. I buy the bike I want for my reasons and no one else. If I could stuff my garage it would likely look like this.

My 2015 KTM 1190 ADV for touring solo
A new HD Street Glide (add tour pack) for two up touring
2019 MT09 for fun light days
Older used DRZ400 for trails
RC51 in perfect condition mostly because I wanted one as a kid

I just love the stereotype of the HD owners that don’t seem to ride there bikes.
Far as I can tell when you look on kijiji the HD’s seem to have more km.
Usually the first bikes out and the last put away for winter are HD that I see.
The other day I spotted a few bikes out on a cold sunny day and they sure as sh!t were not Honda’s.
As for the cost well.
I traded mine in with 103,000km and a Japanese bike dealer gave me $8100 for it so they do hold there value pretty well.

Now I love most bikes and have no brand loyalty. I buy the bike I want for my reasons and no one else. If I could stuff my garage it would likely look like this.

My 2015 KTM 1190 ADV for touring solo
A new HD Street Glide (add tour pack) for two up touring
2019 MT09 for fun light days
Older used DRZ400 for trails
RC51 in perfect condition mostly because I wanted one as a kid
I think you will find an interesting distribution of mileage on harleys. As you have said, quite a few get tons of miles piled onto them. At the other end, there are many harleys that get 100 km a year on them as the owners want a harley to go to the local spot and pose (and my suspicion is these vastly outnumber the high mileage bikes, but that isn't the bikes fault, it comes down to the owners).

Well I spent a few long months watching kijiji before I bought mine and generally the bikes had over 50,000km. I had plenty of people look at my 100,000km bike and tell me “ah she’s just broke in”
Yet I was selling a Yamaha R6 with under 30,000 and it was often referred to as higher mileage.
Just my experience
I hope that when I sell my KTM when it’s over 100,000 that it’s worth something.
But I have my doubts

Well I spent a few long months watching kijiji before I bought mine and generally the bikes had over 50,000km. I had plenty of people look at my 100,000km bike and tell me “ah she’s just broke in”
Yet I was selling a Yamaha R6 with under 30,000 and it was often referred to as higher mileage.
Just my experience
I hope that when I sell my KTM when it’s over 100,000 that it’s worth something.
But I have my doubts
I suspect the low mileage HD don't change hands often. As you have said, HD has great resale, but it is much easier to stomach 30K depreciation over 100K km of riding than 15K of depreciation over 1000km. Selling a low-mileage used premium bike is a bugger as most don't have that much cash on hand and choose to finance a new one to make cash flow easier. Once the value drops below 10K, it's much easier to get a sale. A quick look at Kijiji shows handfuls of 2015 to 2018 for sale with <1500 km priced at $40K+. Those are the hardest toys to sell unless you really push the price down to fire sale levels (and therefore astronomical depreciation/km due to the low km).

I think you will find an interesting distribution of mileage on harleys. As you have said, quite a few get tons of miles piled onto them. At the other end, there are many harleys that get 100 km a year on them as the owners want a harley to go to the local spot and pose (and my suspicion is these vastly outnumber the high mileage bikes, but that isn't the bikes fault, it comes down to the owners).
I frequent the crashed bike auctions, it amazes me at how many downed Harleys have very few miles on them. I'm guessing there are a good number of new older riders or riders rekindling after a long hiatus buying new bikes. My noisy neighbour just put his 2017 Road Glide into hibernation -- in 3 seasons it has less than 3000km.

Personally I see nothing wrong with owning something that you only use when it suits you -- same goes for antique cars, trucks, and lots of boats. Sit on them, tide them to meets and Tim's gatherings, sit beside them in your garage and polish -- if it gives you wood -- all the power to you!

Back
Top Bottom