No Harley Bikes here ..? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

No Harley Bikes here ..?

You think I should own a Harley to have an opinion on them?
I swear, if I owned a Harley suicide would shortly follow.

And what's wrong with liking a Hero to the Cuban people?

You think I should own a Harley to have an opinion on them?
I'm with lowrider on this.

Not allowing someone an opinion on something because they don't own one is laughable.

That’s the forum I missed, snappy comebacks and reasoned opinions. Actually in my opinion the XR1200 was the best Harley ever made. I also believe that if you can afford it you should have one of every bike category in your garage. From MX to choppers, it’s that damn money thing that gets in the way.

Only H-D I would ever make room for in my garage, let me know if you see one come up for sale reasonable lol.

Harley-Davidson-XR750-2-1600x990.jpg

That’s the forum I missed, snappy comebacks and reasoned opinions. Actually in my opinion the XR1200 was the best Harley ever made. I also believe that if you can afford it you should have one of every bike category in your garage. From MX to choppers, it’s that damn money thing that gets in the way.
Working on it. Have an ST, ADV, enduro, JDM standard. Sold my SS (too old) and my cruisers (too young). Bikes are cheap, life is short.

Ok I’m not saying you have to own one to have an opinion but come on.
Have you truly and I mean truly looked at a Harley touring bike. For their intended purpose they are a phenomenal bike.
Obviously if your thing is SS your not going to be interested.
Even if your thing is Sport touring it’s probably not your thing.
Adv or dual sport? Again not impressive.
But to chill out and cruise with some tunes on a winding road listening to that V twin rumble. It’s the bike
The rest of the touring bikes lack the muscular sound. The cruisers that have the sound lack the comfort especially passengers comfort. (Happy wife happy life)
The vRod was a great bike but they had some pretty stout competition in that category. There is no competition in the big bike category imo.
So please enlighten me. If you are going to knock the Harley Davidson then please post what you are riding so we can see what your opinion is based off.

ie if your current ride is a 2stroke cr250 no **** you probably wouldn’t be interested in a Harley.
If you ride a turbo Busa, ya a Harley may not be up to speed.
It probably wouldn’t do so well if your thing is a weekend at Mosport or Boggie

But if you like muscle cars over Porsche’s and cruising through Algonquin with a passenger, chilling out in the garage with a beer polishing chrome in a garage that’s set up like a living room to display a piece of mechanical art.
Then ya you will get it.

Last edited:
Honda, Kawasaki and Yamaha have bikes that are very competitive with the Harley tourer.
If i had a Harley in my garage, it would be a 48 knucklehead.

Btw
I sold my HD and my finished garage is now home to a wickedly fast filthy dirty KTM 1190 Adventure. But some day after a few more wrecks and a couple more speeding tickets I will return to the land of slow, low and loud.
Hope you enjoyed my rant

Honda, Kawasaki and Yamaha have bikes that are very competitive with the Harley tourer.
If i had a Harley in my garage, it would be a 48 knucklehead.

I’ve looked at them and hey just didn’t seem on the same level. Something about the Harley. The heavy feeling in the switches, the clunky trans, the paint & the chrome just felt better.
Is it worth the extra $$$? well that’s debatable

Have you truly and I mean truly looked at a Harley touring bike. For their intended purpose they are a phenomenal bike.
But to chill out and cruise with some tunes on a winding road listening to that V twin rumble. It’s the bike
The rest of the touring bikes lack the muscular sound. The cruisers that have the sound lack the comfort especially passengers comfort. (Happy wife happy life)
The vRod was a great bike but they had some pretty stout competition in that category. There is no competition in the big bike category imo.
So please enlighten me. If you are going to knock the Harley Davidson then please post what you are riding so we can see what your opinion is based off.

ie if your current ride is a 2stroke cr250 no **** you probably wouldn’t be interested in a Harley.

But if you like muscle cars over Porsche’s and cruising through Algonquin with a passenger, chilling out in the garage with a beer polishing chrome in a garage that’s set up like a living room to display a piece of mechanical art.
Then ya you will get it.
Saying "it's bad" and saying "i don't like it" are 2 completely different opinions. I think people confuse the latter with the former in these discussions. By people i mean over protective brand owners, lol.

another quick blurb to echo what some others have said

much of the membership here are mature riders
we appreciate bikes of all makes and ages

talk here is more about where we go on them than what they are

Then ya you will get it.
I was writing a post and it ended up saying the same thing - style and art.

There is also one other reason people buy cruisers - they are incredibly easy to ride. Compared to all other categories of motorcycles (scooters excepted), most novices have little difficulty mounting a 600lb mid-weight cruiser as their learner bike. That's a lot harder and certainly more dangerous on a mid-weight SS, ST, standard or ADV bike.

Only H-D I would ever make room for in my garage, let me know if you see one come up for sale reasonable lol.

Harley-Davidson-XR750-2-1600x990.jpg
All good until the guy next door puts one of these in his garage

1569205510810.png

Reactions: TK4
I was writing a post and it ended up saying the same thing - style and art.

There is also one other reason people buy cruisers - they are incredibly easy to ride. Compared to all other categories of motorcycles (scooters excepted), most novices have little difficulty mounting a 600lb mid-weight cruiser as their learner bike. That's a lot harder and certainly more dangerous on a mid-weight SS, ST, standard or ADV bike.

This!
The Fat Bob (710lbs) I had was easy to ride and would be relativly easy for a novice. My FJR would not be a good choice for a new rider. Tall, powerful and top heavy.

I’ve looked at them and they just didn’t seem on the same level. Something about the Harley. The heavy feeling in the switches, the clunky trans, the paint & the chrome just felt better.
Is it worth the extra $$$? well that’s debatable

On the contrary. When I look at a stock Harley, I see cheap switchgear, cheap mirrors, cheap blinkers, cheap running gear, etc. Harley knows most people will wack down a chunk more cash for these things, so they put cheap easily replaceable garbage so it makes you feel like you need to upgrade.

I've ridden many, many bikes.
I actually hated every Harley I ever rode and it made me sad for the owner who has to put up with the shear bulk of the thing.

If I absolutely had no choice but to ride some comfortable lump across the country, I'm sure a loaded Goldwing would do the trick.

Otherwise, I'm taking my RC51 across the country with a smile on my face the entire way, thank you.

The problem with starting a Harley thread is you'll get pages of wisecracks from envious guys who can't afford one.?

Yawn. Oh look, the Harley Hortons Choice scowl crowd don't approve of my Metric Cruiser because they think I'm riding it because I "can't afford" a Harley. :sneaky:

You really should spend some time around some Metrics because you seem to be suffering from cognitive dissonance.

Then ya you will get it.

You forgot "repairing it".

And sorry, I spend waaaaay more time riding my bike then I do sitting staring at it like it's my first born. My bike puts smiles on my face when I'm riding it, not a tent in my pants when it's sitting on it's kickstand.

I’ve looked at them and hey just didn’t seem on the same level. Something about the Harley. The heavy feeling in the switches, the clunky trans,

Funny, quite a few people consider that clunky transmission a sign of lack of refinement.

FWIW my transmission on my VTX is every bit as clunky as a Harley. Guess I should ride some circles around Timmies next time furiously shifting up and down to prove myself to the Harley owners, that should cause their brains to misfire a little. Heck, maybe I'll dare park in the spot next to them as well....won't be there long anyways, It'll give them something close to scowl at. I'll even wave on the way out!

<giggle>

Back
Top Bottom