New Yamaha MT-09 triple engine | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Yamaha MT-09 triple engine

Nice find, thanks.

2014-Yamaha-MT-09-EU-Race-Blu-Studio-001.jpg

My immediate reaction is it's nice. Styling isn't awesome, would prefer a smaller revvier engine, and the digital tach is a big no-no.
On the plus side, nice low exhaust, progressive brake lights(?) and new switchgear.

This will look really awesome with no fender in the rear.
Also you can see that the engine is essentially the frame of the bike, which other manufacturers have been known to do before (Ducati I think?)

I really like it. Pretty clean setup.

2014-Yamaha-MT-09-EU-Blazing-Orange-Studio-006.jpg

Last edited:
That thing looks great ... and at 415lbs wet with 14l tank ... sounds like Yammy got this right ... if the price is right.

To me it makes a lot more sense than I4 based FZ8.

MT-01 is really cool, although it had some serious problems.

Drop the fender, lower the bars and get some smaller mirrors that thing will look awesome.

This will look really awesome with no fender in the rear.
Also you can see that the engine is essentially the frame of the bike, which other manufacturers have been known to do before (Ducati I think?)

I really like it. Pretty clean setup.

2014-Yamaha-MT-09-EU-Blazing-Orange-Studio-006.jpg

That's a good looking machine and with a triple motor it should have great character. Hopefully it'll be chock full of electronic wizardry including ride by wire so I won't be tempted to buy it. And how would you hang hard cases of it anyway?

Awesome Possum, but someone PLEASE fire those rear fender designers. A chunk of drainpipe with LEDs taped to it would look more elegant.

Wonder what the Canadian premium will be on this one? The Street Triple (and R) is already one seriously sorted machine though. Yamaha will get roasted if they cheap out on the suspension and that's ignoring Triumph's guaranteed response. Still, I like it.

Wonder what the Canadian premium will be on this one? The Street Triple (and R) is already one seriously sorted machine though. Yamaha will get roasted if they cheap out on the suspension and that's ignoring Triumph's guaranteed response. Still, I like it.

Yamaha is the one responding a decade or so late ... anyway, STR is 10K MSRP and SPR is a couple grand more, we will see where the Yami comes at when it's announced it will hit our market. Specs say nothing about suspension, looks like there's some clickers up top, but who knows where they will have blunt and R version at this point ...

It looks like they've also relaunched their site. Looks pretty good.
I have a feeling this bike's gonna be a winner.

Yeah, the new site is much better than the old one. I'm very curious to see what they do with this new triple engine for the R6/R1. Should be excellent.

9K is not bad at all .... now KTM Duke 690 for 10K just looks silly, and Triumph STR just might loose some market.

It seems that they threw all kinds of new tech into the engine with an easy maintenance schedule in mind. The only obvious thing they left out is ABS, which really is a head scratcher for brand new bike released at the end of 2013 year .... at times when ABS will become mandatory soon pretty much everywhere where it matters.

Looks great and its a triple! I'd like to see a 600cc version for insurance and I'm questioning the ceramic piston bores. How do you fix those if you have an issue in there? Looks like a fun ride though!

How do you fix those if you have an issue in there?

Replace all the damaged parts? The days of refreshing engines are winding down.

I may have to sell the car for this =(

Off the http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/details.php?model=4396&group=MC&catId=79#fb :

Slim, compact, 847cc, DOHC, 16 valve (4-valves/cyl), liquid-cooled, 42.5 degree inclined, inline-three cylinder engine.

How does that make any sense ?

OK, let's do the math. 4 valves per cylinder x 3 cylinders = 16....... Wait!! What?! Dafriggin 'ell!? How could this be!!!!!! Engine sound is intoxicating. Don't suck muffler when riding.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom