New, used bike having problems shifting into neutral/grinding | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New, used bike having problems shifting into neutral/grinding

Just dealt with this issue on a '08 gsxr 750, has about 42k on it.

The shift sensor is going bad in it.
Took it all apart and cleaned it (owner did not want to replace it)

Here is what the sensor looks like, and it lives behind the front sprocket cover
the connector is under the tank.

imageproxy.php

The bike had - no neutral light, and no gear positions.
took it all part and it works when cold, when it cold it works....
when it heats up the neutral is iffy.

When the transmission shifts, it turns a tumbler in the sensor
which has positions in it, which tells the ECU/Cluster what position
the transmission is in.

The sensor is very mechanical, so as the tranmissions shifts around
it wears the contacts out...which causes this issue.

Skip to about 30 seconds into the video, it will show it shifter with the kill switched
turned to the run position.
[video=facebook_share;1881647218546770]https://www.facebook.com/motomechto/videos/1881647218546770/[/video]

Just dealt with this issue on a '08 gsxr 750, has about 42k on it.

The shift sensor is going bad in it.
Took it all apart and cleaned it (owner did not want to replace it)

Here is what the sensor looks like, and it lives behind the front sprocket cover
the connector is under the tank.

imageproxy.php

The bike had - no neutral light, and no gear positions.
took it all part and it works when cold, when it cold it works....
when it heats up the neutral is iffy.

When the transmission shifts, it turns a tumbler in the sensor
which has positions in it, which tells the ECU/Cluster what position
the transmission is in.

The sensor is very mechanical, so as the tranmissions shifts around
it wears the contacts out...which causes this issue.

Skip to about 30 seconds into the video, it will show it shifter with the kill switched
turned to the run position.
[video=facebook_share;1881647218546770]https://www.facebook.com/motomechto/videos/1881647218546770/[/video]

yeah that’s what I figured it was after the responses on here and after looking at other posts/videos. I’ll be replacing mine.

Thanks guys

yeah that’s what I figured it was after the responses on here and after looking at other posts/videos. I’ll be replacing mine.

Thanks guys

its a bit odd that such a low kms bike had this part go back.
where was this bike from? used in the city a lot?

its a bit odd that such a low kms bike had this part go back.
where was this bike from? used in the city a lot?

I think he said he road it to and from work, so I assume mostly highway driving, with some city driving.
I think the issue is that it sat for a year, so it could have just gotten dirty/corroded overtime, or something.

I'm going to check it out anyways, once a warm day comes around.

After going for a ride tonight and messing around with it, I’m under the impression that it’s electrical.

The issue I was having before about not being able to shift into gear was just me being dumb and not moving the bike (rocking it a tiny bit).

So the only issue is the neutral light doesnt come on and gearGe indicator doesn’t show 0, it’s just blank.
I got temps up to 105c after sitting still for awhile and tried it a little more and same issue.

Gear position sensor has a dodgy connection. Probably the gear position sensor itself is at fault. Doesn't necessarily mean it needs to be replaced, but the parts that make electrical contact need to be cleaned. See posts above. If cleaning the contacts doesn't fix the issue, you need a new one.

Back
Top Bottom