New U/S Cleaner | GTAMotorcycle.com

New U/S Cleaner

ReSTored

Just got a new toy.........

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07HNQ26WT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I usually just use brake cleaner, a rag and old toothbrush to clean up brake pads and this has always worked fine. Any reason why cleaning brake pads in an ultrasonic cleaner might damage them, cause the bond between the pad material and the backing plate to separate? Something else?

No reason I can't continue to clean pads the old way, but just want to know.

These are honest, non rhetorical questions - What brake pads are you cleaning, how often are you cleaning them, and why are you cleaning them at all?

In the past, OEM pads on my ST1100, now OEM pads on my Tracer GT. Usually do once a season, late March / early April and when wheels are off for tire changes. Includes pads, pumping out pistons one by one, cleaning them and pad pins + rotors. Why? To me this is just regular brake system maintenance aside from fluid change every 2 years. I'm never had any issues with stuck pistons, seized calipers, corrosion etc and I think my routine maintenance is mostly responsible for this. Added bonus......... brakes work well day to day.

I'm perfectly content to continue to clean pads by spraying them with brake cleaner, wiping off with an clean rag, using an abrasive pad to scrub a bit as required, but if the U/S cleaner can do a better job without damaging the pads I'd go for this.

Maybe I'm just to dumb or tired

How are you pumping out the pistons every March/April but only changing fluid every 2 years. ?

Would you not loose fluid with the pistons beeing out?

Maybe I'm just too dumb or tired

How are you pumping out the pistons every March/April but only changing fluid every 2 years. ?

Would you not lose fluid with the pistons being out?

I hope you're just tired.............

I didn't say I removed the pistons, I just use the brake pedal / lever to pump them out much farther than they normally travel, then I clean them, put a thin coat of hi temp brake lube on them and push them back in so I can put the pads back in and remount the wheel.

I didn't say I removed the pistons, I just use the brake pedal / lever to pump them out much farther than they normally travel, then I clean them, put a thin coat of hi temp brake lube on them and push them back in so I can put the pads back in and remount the wheel.
Ok. Cool

Sorry. Running on 3 hrs of sleep.

But that is some meticulous maintenance. Good for you.

Brake lube for the slide pins, not for the pistons. Brake fluid to lubricate the pistons if the calipers were disassembled for new seals.

My go-to:
Dish soap, hot water, and a toothbrush. Pump out the pistons (not all the way out of the bores), scrub off the brake dust. Clean the slide pins & a thin coating of high temp brake grease (or antiseize).
Brake clean the pads. Reassemble.

I clean the buttons on the rotors as well. A nut and bolt work well so I can spin the button with a ratchet while I spray brake cleaner to get the brake dust out of the button.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

I have several u/s cleaners and I have used them for different bike parts but I would not want to use them on friction materials because the solution contains a small amount of a soap that is slippery. For the frictions I would stick with the Brake Cleaner.

I use acetone on pads and then scuff em up on some 220ish sandpaper.

With all this 'maintenance' do you guys actually have time to ride your bikes? All I can picture is the coffee shop chrome guys with 15 year old bikes and 3000kms on the odometer.

Hmmmm....... I put 135,000 km on my ST1100. I've put about 14,000 km on my Tracer over the 2 seasons I've had it, so yes, I have lots of time to ride. Not as much as I'd like, but that has nothing to do with time spent on maintenance. Doing regular PM work is typically done late March / early April when season is just staring up. Doing proper PM work also means I'm not stuck at the side of the road in Podunkville, Ohio on a Sunday morning.

Hmmmm....... I put 135,000 km on my ST1100. I've put about 14,000 km on my Tracer over the 2 seasons I've had it, so yes, I have lots of time to ride. Not as much as I'd like, but that has nothing to do with time spent on maintenance. Doing regular PM work is typically done late March / early April when season is just staring up. Doing proper PM work also means I'm not stuck at the side of the road in Podunkville, Ohio on a Sunday morning.
I stand corrected, good on you.

Do you have a lift for all the maintenance work?

Do you have a lift for all the maintenance work?

I do. I got a killer deal on a virtually new one years ago. $200 for the PA 1,000 lb hydraulic / pneumatic unit.

Back
Top Bottom