New to riding, first bike. | GTAMotorcycle.com

New to riding, first bike.

G1RTHQU8K3

Hi there,

I got my M2 in Sept of 2022 and shortly after acquired a 2017 Honda Rebel 500.
It's my first bike and I've got a lot to learn, but I'm loving it so far.

I've tinkered a bit with it and I've got some more parts to install but I haven't found the time.

So far I've done grips, levers and bar end mirrors. I've got an LED headlight, fork boots, front and rear signals, and a front cowl to install. Then I'd like to wake it up with a slip on and fresh air filter.
I've also removed the "Rebel" decal from the rear fender (not pictured).

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

I look forward to the upcoming riding season and I'm sure I'll see some of you out there on the roads. Keep it shiny side up!

Removing the Rebel sticker is OK, but you should have left the letters and numbers on your licence plate.

Hope you have a fun riding season.

Welcome.

Don't expect much power from air filter. Expect zero power from slip-on, just more noise. Municipalities have been cracking down on excessive noise so choose your slip-on wisely.

Ride safe and have fun.

Welcome.

Don't expect much power from air filter. Expect zero power from slip-on, just more noise. Municipalities have been cracking down on excessive noise so choose your slip-on wisely.

Ride safe and have fun.
The filter is more of a maintenance thing, I'm not expecting a performance gain. The slip on is for the sound, but it's a 500 with a parallel twin, I'm not expecting Harley growls from it. Just currently sounds like an angry sewing machine and I'd like a little more noise.

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to GTAM. You're a new rider with very little experience. Put the oem mirrors back on till you get some time in the saddle. You need every little bit of safety help to survive.

Welcome. Nice choice for a first ride - don't rush into bigger/faster in your first year as a lot of new riders often do because they feel like they've "mastered" things already, which they seldom have in reality. That bike will carry you through your first few years nicely! I love that colour, those are neat bikes.

If I could offer one piece of advice, especially in your first few years of riding....it's to not put form before function. Yes, some modifications look slick, but they may reduce your own safety as a new rider. Small bar end mirrors look clean and add a coolness factor, for sure, but when you're in traffic one day and need to make split-second decisions on lane changes or are making a swerve avoidance maneuver because some stupid cager is trying to kill you (assume EVERYONE in a car is out to kill you, it sounds like an exaggeration but it's a premise which you'll soon appreciate), those little mirrors lack functionality versus the stockers. (Edit: Wingboy beat me to it lol)

Riding a motorcycle is a process in which split second decisions can be the difference between a fun ride and a not so fun ride, so ensuring your equipment is working *with* you instead of *against* you is really important.

The same can be said for tiny LED signal lights and the such - they can look awesome, but actual functionality (IE, car drivers actually seeing them and thengetting your intent to change lanes) is reduced, all of which puts you in a higher risk situation in the end, and the motorcyclist always loses in an accident.

And as Greyghost touched on, that licence plate will increase your heat score. The law says the plate must be horizontal, and must be at the "rearmost part of the vehicle" with the only exception being for it's stock mounting location - IE Harley full dressers have the plate tucked under the beer box and that's fine as it's the factory mounting location, but in your case, there's an existing mounting location on which the cops will want to see it. Many cops won't care you have it somewhere else and on it's side, but some will....and the *last* thing you want in the first 5 years riding on 2 wheels is any tickets as they can be the kiss of death for insurance purposes.

Welcome to GTAM, ride safe!

Welcome to the forum.
Bike is looking good, I am sure you can find a nice fender eliminator plate kit for your bike to keep things legal.
As for the other things, just ensure that style does not impact YOUR safety. Where are you located, I enjoy tinkering and talking about bikes.

Welcome to the forum! It is nice to see another Rebel rider joining us.

I rode 2022 Rebel 500 in my first year and am happy with the bike. I didn't make any modifications for a simple reason of both of my hands growing out of my @$$ and not designed by nature to do anything worthy to share or be mechanically reliable.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.
Bike is looking good, I am sure you can find a nice fender eliminator plate kit for your bike to keep things legal.
As for the other things, just ensure that style does not impact YOUR safety. Where are you located, I enjoy tinkering and talking about bikes.
I will be eliminating the entire tail light assembly and bracket and installing new tail lights on the fender mounts, hence the relocation of the plate.
I'm in the north Etobicoke area.

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to GTAM. You're a new rider with very little experience. Put the oem mirrors back on till you get some time in the saddle. You need every little bit of safety help to survive.
Honestly, I don't always use my mirrors, I just keep my head on a swivel.
I primarily only use my mirrors while in motion to check on spacing of the vehicles behind me.

Even when I stop at a light, I tend to turn back to check the distance of the vehicles stopping behind me, though I appreciate everyone's tips and information. As I said, lots to learn.

Welcome, nice bike enjoy ride safe! Riding season is almost upon us!
@everyone if we get snow in April remember this post.

Hey arn't you starting rider training in April?? :unsure::ROFLMAO:
April 1st (weather permitting).

I always caution new instructors to come prepared. We get a little of everything in April; snow, rain, cold, heat.

All part of the experience!

@everyone if we get snow in April remember this post.
I just saw a couple of bikes (one is Yamaha R3 in those bright aquamarine and orange colors, and another one is Suzuki rider with Alberta's (!!) license plate) parked outside in front of my building in downtown Toronto and I sorta hanged out around bikes during lunch hoping to see those brave souls with my own eyes but no luck today.

Back
Top Bottom