New Speed Limits? And more! | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Speed Limits? And more!

Good luck with that . There will be no increase anywhere around the GTA . The road are so congested and in poor condition . Majority of the drivers barely have the skills to drive at 100 . Maybe once you get more then 50 to 80 km outside the GTA .

If anyone gets a slow poke ticket . It will be for show only by the police .

Our best bet is to get HOV access .

120KMH and better enforcement on lane hogs will certainly reduce congestion, 20% more flow will certainly reduce congestion. MCs in the HOV lanes - yeah!

Like them or not, Doug and his crew are doing a lot of common sense stuff.

Idk bout the GTA but the rest of the province will benefit from this.
The Germans got it down when it comes to this stuff, near the populated areas they restrict the speeds and outside of them they de restrict.

Hope they increase it around GTA. Even if most drivers can't achieve that speed, atleast those of us who can, won't get tickets for going 20-30kmph over the (current) limit.

Last edited:
Thought the Ford govt was going to be a disaster. I find myself liking some of what they're doing and at least considering...

Hope they increase it around GTA. Even if most drivers can't achieve that speed, atleast those of us who can, won't get tickets for going 20-30kmph over the (current) limit.
:mad: you go above the limit? The horror!

The flow of traffic with moderate to little congestion is already 120 kph.

It appears the OPP are against it. Surprise.

BC and AB have higher limited and the world appears to be safe as well.

Here is the issues I see with it.

Folks won’t respect the road conditions or traffic conditions and try to maintain the 120 kph limit when it’s clearly not safe. So, I prefer electronic signs that can change the limit to increase or decrease based on those conditions.

I’m sure the OPP are concerned folks will applied the unwritten rule of giving a 20 kph buffer so, 120 kph becomes 140 kph. So, I’d announce higher speed limited but, also stronger enforcement.

Only time with tell.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It won’t work around the GTA. Does not matter what the speeds are. There is too much driver aggression and stupid drivers for it not to work, with no enforcement to curb any of it. Until they start to address that problem there is no point.

Sent from the moon!

OPP have said that 50 over will not apply if the limit is raised.Going 150 will get a suspension/impound even if the limit is 120.Strange.

OPP have said that 50 over will not apply if the limit is raised.Going 150 will get a suspension/impound even if the limit is 120.Strange.
Lol. OPP doesn't write the laws, they can say what they like.

Charge would have to be racing/stunting.

It was Kerry Schmidt on CTV news this morning i think.

The insurance companies pull the strings in Ontario . This idea will be put to sleep by them quickly .

Yes Kerry Schmidt is a real Sgt. He is the PR for the force, just as Sgt Cam Wooley was before him. They were both the spokesperson for the Highway Safety Division. There is also a Spokesperson for the SAVE team.

I believe their "title" is Media Relations Officer.

Is that guy even a real cop ? He seems like the PR person.

Meh, people drive 120 or more already outside the GTA.

My concerns are two fold:

1/. Unless the thresholds in fines are adjusted, people will take this as a green light to drive 140 now since “it’s only a 20 over ticket”, and unless the OPP suddenly start to enforce 20 over (they basically don’t now) it’s a free ride. So what’s next, 150 becomes the limit to push?

2/. Trucks will still be electronically limited to 100 like they are today...? No clarification there. If so, that opens up massive speed differential issues between trucks and cars pushing 140-150. There ARE clear stats that show this causes a major safety issue.

Even if the electronic limits for trucks is increased as well many fleets wouldn’t take advantage of it anyways for two reasons - insurance increases (current fleet insurance costs take into consideration blanket 100kph speed limiters), and drastically increased fuel consumption. The fuel consumption increase between 100 and 120kph on a tractor trailer is staggering - lots of fleets are already operating on the bleeding edge of affordability and shippers won’t pay more so the truck can go faster.

Meh, people drive 120 or more already outside the GTA.

My concerns are two fold:

1/. Unless the thresholds in fines are adjusted, people will take this as a green light to drive 140 now since “it’s only a 20 over ticket”, and unless the OPP suddenly start to enforce 20 over (they basically don’t now) it’s a free ride. So what’s next, 150 becomes the limit to push?

2/. Trucks will still be electronically limited to 100 like they are today...? No clarification there. If so, that opens up massive speed differential issues between trucks and cars pushing 140-150. There ARE clear stats that show this causes a major safety issue.

Even if the electronic limits for trucks is increased as well many fleets wouldn’t take advantage of it anyways for two reasons - insurance increases (current fleet insurance costs take into consideration blanket 100kph speed limiters), and drastically increased fuel consumption. The fuel consumption increase between 100 and 120kph on a tractor trailer is staggering - lots of fleets are already operating on the bleeding edge of affordability and shippers won’t pay more so the truck can go faster.
I was thinking about the limiter problem too. I think the best workable solution is 100 km/h right lane speed limit and trucks in the right lane only. The truck ahead slows to 60 going up a hill. Too bad, wait (or OPP enforce minimum speed of 80 (90?) unless you have a permit and chase vehicle). Other lanes have 120 km/h speed limit and strong enforcement of keep right except to pass so you don't have people passing to the right. This drops the closing speeds between adjacent lanes to ~20 km/h (most of the time, there will always be exceptions, blah blah blah). Slower right lane speed limit also helps with merging (even if trucks were allowed to go 120, most ramps aren't long enough to get there and many car drivers are just idiots).

An upside to keeping the trucks in the right lane is on the (admittedly rare) occasion that a truck driver fails spectacularly at their job, they should be piling into mostly other trucks which minimizes damage to other people.

Back
Top Bottom