New Speed Limits? And more! | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Speed Limits? And more!

Lol. OPP doesn't write the laws, they can say what they like.

Charge would have to be racing/stunting.

Yup, you're right there. OPP couldn't charge someone with "stunt driving; more than 50 Kmh over the limit." There's another worry though. I suggest that anyone who has not already read the definitions of HTA Section 172 (O. Reg. 455/07: RACES, CONTESTS AND STUNTS), should. Pay particular attention to definitions which include the phrase, "... while driving at a rate of speed that is a marked departure from the lawful rate of speed..." The "lawful rate of speed" is not defined by the speed limit, but rather what is reasonable and prudent for the situation. That would be as determined by the officer on-site at the time. Scary, no?

So we are going back to 1975 speed limit?

110? really? Taxas has 85mph and BC has some 120km/h. Shouldn't we move to more like 120?

Ok here is my take on this BS.
So you are going to increase the speed limit to 110km/h in select areas as a test to see what happens.
When was the last time you heard of a person getting a ticket on the 401 for under 120? Legit, not I was going 130 and he wrote me 115 to be nice.
Also when was the last time you have seen a car traveling under 110 on the 401.
Do we need to spend money to study the affects of a 10km increase on a hiway were the vast majority are traveling in excess of 20 over all the time.
Come on
Ford You were voted in to cut costs and save money not cut costs and blow money on stupid sh!t that doesn’t matter.
Don’t get me started on Open for business

I rarely post anything political but dam this guy is pissing me off lately.

110 is probably palatable to the sky is falling crowd and the envirofreak crowd. Compromise.

I'd say most of the time these days.
Theres always at least one wanker under 100. Hopefully douggie brings in a useful minimum speed and sends these turds back onto the secondary roads where they belong.

I'd say most of the time these days.
Maybe in traffic right in the gta where they will never increase the speed.
You get out west toward London area or east of the city past Newcastle it’s all clear sailing set cruise at 120 and your the slow turd. I travel east of Newcastle all the time and set cruise at 130km. Don’t need to worry about a ticket because someone is always going faster.

There is VERY little speed enforcement on the 400 series in the GTA, that won't be changing. One of my GF's was OPP posted to the Downsview Detachment. It is considered an issue of "officer safety" to stop a vehicle on the 400 series, in the GTA proper, as the shoulders, (left a little more so, than the right), are simply too narrow, to allow the officer room to exit their vehicles.

Also, when they have someone pulled over EVERY other driver thinks it is prudent to slam on their brakes, so they don't get a ticket as well..lol. I used to have a friend that if they saw a cruiser ion the other side of the highway, they would slow down. I asked WHY? The reasoning was they didn't want to catch a ticket. I explained it was HIGHLY unlikely the officer is going to pull onto the left shoulder, activate the roof lights, and then jump the center concrete divider, step into the live left lane to motion for you to stop, all within the driver's seeing each other at about 500 metres, while travelling at a combined speed of about 240 km/h. THAT my friend's is one super copper right there...LMAO

But besides, the people hitting the brakes you also get the rubber neckers, who don't see that car in front slam on their brakes and slams into the back of it, and it goes on and on...

So, it was, (at least in the late 80's) the policy of Downsview Detachment to NOT do speed enforcement on 400 series within the GTA. Outside the GTA, especially around Woodstock and Kingston, on an average Sunday, you will often see one cruiser on a bridge over the 401, and then there are 4 or 5 "chase vehicles" posted along the should about 1 km away.

It won’t work around the GTA. Does not matter what the speeds are. There is too much driver aggression and stupid drivers for it not to work, with no enforcement to curb any of it. Until they start to address that problem there is no point.

Sent from the moon!

There is VERY little speed enforcement on the 400 series in the GTA, that won't be changing. One of my GF's was OPP posted to the Downsview Detachment. It is considered an issue of "officer safety" to stop a vehicle on the 400 series, in the GTA proper, as the shoulders, (left a little more so, than the right), are simply too narrow, to allow the officer room to exit their vehicles.

Also, when they have someone pulled over EVERY other driver thinks it is prudent to slam on their brakes, so they don't get a ticket as well..lol. I used to have a friend that if they saw a cruiser ion the other side of the highway, they would slow down. I asked WHY? The reasoning was they didn't want to catch a ticket. I explained it was HIGHLY unlikely the officer is going to pull onto the left shoulder, activate the roof lights, and then jump the center concrete divider, step into the live left lane to motion for you to stop, all within the driver's seeing each other at about 500 metres, while travelling at a combined speed of about 240 km/h. THAT my friend's is one super copper right there...LMAO

But besides, the people hitting the brakes you also get the rubber neckers, who don't see that car in front slam on their brakes and slams into the back of it, and it goes on and on...

So, it was, (at least in the late 80's) the policy of Downsview Detachment to NOT do speed enforcement on 400 series within the GTA. Outside the GTA, especially around Woodstock and Kingston, on an average Sunday, you will often see one cruiser on a bridge over the 401, and then there are 4 or 5 "chase vehicles" posted along the should about 1 km away.

True, unlikely in the GTA. On the other hand if you're along the Cobourg-Belleville corridor and see a cruiser in the opposing lanes slow down, because there's a good chance there's another cruiser further up on your side.

Back
Top Bottom