New Riders...Start with a smaller bike! | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Riders...Start with a smaller bike!

I'll insert my unwanted opinion. 600 SS cost way more to insure than their 300/250 cousins. Is that based on opinion? Do we think it's because a bunch of insurance execs sit around and ask people their opinion on which results in more claims? Or do they do it based on analysis of claims? Do insurance companies charge more for inexperienced riders based on gut instinct? or is it based on a long history of claims being higher on 600 ss models than on the 250/300s? Their is zero denying that 600 ss models are more dangerous for a new rider....significantly so. Can some people handle it? Of course. As a rule is this the case? Should we be recommending them to a new rider with "whatever feels comfortable to you"? I doubt it.

Last edited:
don't forget duck walks

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

:lmao:

When I was out on a business trip in Edmonton a couple weeks ago, it seems that Supersports are the norm to start on and ride. Saw at least 10 SS for every sub 500cc bike.
That being said, seemed like every one of them duck walked, two feet down/floating coming to a stop and taking off.

Roads there are much nicer (outside the city), however, it doesn't seem like many have the skillset to ride anything but straight. By roads, I mean road quality and highway ramps... Felt like there were "Lawrence/Bayview loops" everywhere. As for nice scenic roads... I didn't have the chance to explore.

Affordability of insurance is likely the reason for the low number of smaller bikes.

To the point of starting small or not, it really depends on the individual (level headed or not) and whether they put the effort into technical skills rather than riding fast straight.

Last edited:
It's more fun riding a smaller bike fast, than riding a fast bike slow.

I hate that stupid saying.

I'll insert my unwanted opinion. 600 SS cost way more to insure than their 300/250 cousins. Is that based on opinion? Do we think it's because a bunch of insurance execs sit around and ask people their opinion on which results in more claims? Or do they do it based on analysis of claims? Do insurance companies charge more for inexperienced riders based on gut instinct? or is it based on a long history of claims being higher on 600 ss models than on the 250/300s? Their is zero denying that 600 ss models are more dangerous for a new rider....significantly so. Can some people handle it? Of course. As a rule is this the case? Should we be recommending them to a new rider with "whatever feels comfortable to you"? I doubt it.

Harleys are also more expensive to insure than other bikes.....

[/COLOR]
it's also even more fun riding a fast bike fast

Riveting topic

it's also even more fun riding a fast bike fast

I believe the word you're looking for is "exhilarating"

Theft, size of engine and value are other factors. As well as the same new riders wanting to have a Harley as a first bike.

you missed my point, when it comes to Harleys size of engine means nothing because their 1700cc bike only puts out 80HP.....Honda Civics have high rates even tho they are a slow POS economy car.
Part of the reason they are expensive is because a lot of ppl drive / ride them and the more ppl drive / ride a specific vehicle the higher the possibility more owners of said vehicle will get into an accident and contribute to statistics.

meaning if there are 1000 Hondas on the road and 300 of them made claims, vs 200 Toyotas out of which 100 made claims, Honda will have a worse rating and higher rates because more people made claims, even tho only 30% of Honda drivers made a claim vs 50% of Toyota drivers

Yep, I pay more for my 03 Road King then I did last year on a 14 Tuono. Go figure. Oh well I just pay the bill at this point and enjoy my bikes.

I paid more for a 2010 Sportster Iron than I do for a 2015 KTM Super Duke.....its all good as long as it puts a smile on your face

@ashtonator (was supposed to quote his post) What the hell are you talking about? These are our experiences, not assumptions. It's not bias, it's not emotion driven, it's fact dude. A lot of us know people who died on their SS. I'm freaking happy you haven't had to live through the same reality. You and your friends are damn lucky. It's not assumptions because you are a alive. I don't know you so why am i going to use you in an example of the people I know who started on an SS. Stick to riding. Thinking isn't your forte.

I think it ******* crazy to give a beginner a SS. I always will. Just like I think it's crazy to give someone a sports car (or race car, since that's was a SS is basically) to learn on.

you missed my point, when it comes to Harleys size of engine means nothing because their 1700cc bike only puts out 80HP.....Honda Civics have high rates even tho they are a slow POS economy car.
Part of the reason they are expensive is because a lot of ppl drive / ride them and the more ppl drive / ride a specific vehicle the higher the possibility more owners of said vehicle will get into an accident and contribute to statistics.

meaning if there are 1000 Hondas on the road and 300 of them made claims, vs 200 Toyotas out of which 100 made claims, Honda will have a worse rating and higher rates because more people made claims, even tho only 30% of Honda drivers made a claim vs 50% of Toyota drivers

that is not at all how they calculate, it is definitely by percentage of claims. civics are known as ricer cars for a reason and have much higher collision & theft rate than the similar selling Corolla.

Ride the bike you want to ride.

[/COLOR]

That's because he has it wrong. It's more fun to ride a SLOW bike fast than a fast bike slow.

That all said I have had about 13 bikes over almost 40 years of riding. I likely had a get off on about half of them.

What have I learned? I like to ride but I'm still not a great rider. I press on......

you can take a corner too fast on a 125 and have the same result

Sure, but an inexperienced rider on a SS can get to the bleeding edge of being in control almost instantly, and then surpass it in the ever so subtle flick of the wrist, whereas a smaller bike is naturally more forgiving and might avoid that ride into and over the guardrail.

It's like the old mantra about 4 wheel drive vs 2 wheel drive trucks - they'll all get stuck at some point, but with the 4WD you're likely in a much worse situation (that's going to be a lot harder to get out of) before it happens.

Suggesting that a inexperienced rider is "fine" on a supersport is akin to suggesting that a inexperienced driver would be "fine" with something like a super high performance car. And then things like this happen when they don't have the ability to control the power - this wouldn't have happened in a 6 cylinder Mustang. ;)

[video=youtube;w4OaQhyXJMA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4OaQhyXJMA[/video]

Last edited:
That's because he has it wrong. It's more fun to ride a SLOW bike fast than a fast bike slow.

She's beautiful on the inside.

It's not the size but how you use it.

HP/litre is what really matters.

"Slow/fast...fast/slow" reminds me of a family of "keep telling yourself that" type quotes and memes insecure people use to feel better about themselves or to try to make others feel better...

Back
Top Bottom