New riders and 250's | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New riders and 250's

I don't get this, who says that riding saves on gas??

let me illustrate - it costs me over 20 bucks to fill my tank (17 lts), I have to do it every 220 km. It costs me 50 bucks to fill my car and I can go 600 km

Do the math!

Not including all the stupid riding I do for no reason just because I have a bike and would have never done in my car...Bikes make you use more gas!!

Do you drive mostly highway or mixed?

I drive almost purely in the city with a 4cyl honda with lots of stop and go and idling and I get terrible mileage on gas because of this. I could never get 500km on a tank despite having a fairly economical ride. I usually have to fill up once a week.

If I ride the bike for a week (strictly commuting - no joy riding), I find that to be the case as well, I fill the bike once a week. The difference is pretty big in my case. Atleast $40 bucks a week.

I think if I was to commute to work on a 50cc-125cc scooter, I would see enough savings on gas to justify and break even on the purchase of a used scooter + insurance in a couple of seasons or less.

lets see:

$15 bucks tops to fill up = around 130miles per tank.
I do it once a week so $15 bucks, no joy riding, just work and gym... :(

TTC:
now $3 dollars x 2 per day = 6
$6 dollars a day x 5 days a week = $30
Gym is 2 or 3 times a week so = $18
total is = $48 a week.
Edit: and some times I gotta go to Markham for work so thats $3.25 x 2a day x 2 a week..

Yup
I am glad I changed my TTC for a bike for the summer :D

And they'd be right on both accounts. Compared to a car, a motorcycle is absolutely far more dangerous and way more impractical. I can carry more groceries on foot than on a bike. :lol:

I think the average person doesn't have the common sense or awareness to ride a bike without dying in the first five years. Bikes are not for everyone.

Except that any expenditures from riding purely for pleasure have to transferred from the transportation column and moved under entertainment. I haven't "done the math" but it's probably cheaper than, say, going to the movies once you factor in the cost of a ticket (and your date's?), gas, snacks, parking, etc.
Nah, i am talking about those times when i would stay home and not spend on any tickets, food , etc. I end up going out just because of the bike, you know what I am talking about

My life style doesn't allow me to not have a car, if you are talking about strictly replacing every km you drive by riding a motorcycle then yes it is more economical but if I add the amount of gas I pay for compared to what I used before having a bike (there was a period of a few years I didn't have one) then in my case it isn't a money saver.

Afelotreyu, stop been lazy and get to the gym the 4 times you are supposed too ;)

Last edited:
I don't get this, who says that riding saves on gas??

let me illustrate - it costs me over 20 bucks to fill my tank (17 lts), I have to do it every 220 km. It costs me 50 bucks to fill my car and I can go 600 km

Do the math!

Not including all the stupid riding I do for no reason just because I have a bike and would have never done in my car...Bikes make you use more gas!!

Not in my case friend! I have a Subaru Legacy AWD. 60litre gas tank, costs about $75 to fill up and it will push 500km just barely. I drive to Woodbridge from Mississauga and costs me about $100/week in gas. Now that I have my bike, I'm saving about $200/month! Bike has a 22litre gas tank that goes about 350km!

If you work it out with insurance and all that stuff.. it's not as apparent.. but my weekly cash flow has increased because I have a bike. I may break even this year, but next year and the years to come, I will see a return in my savings. It's like a smart investment :)

Remember, this isn't applicable to everyone.. just certain individuals with cars that guzzle gas!

Back
Top Bottom