New Rider | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Rider

larz

Hey Folks,

Just got my bike couple months ago. It's a hybrid between electric mountain bike and dirt bike, Sur-ron X.

I'm still a newbie, in fact I didn't even know how to ride a bicycle before I purchase the bike. Did some trails in downtown Toronto, mostly mountain bike trails. Would love to do more trails with the riders here.

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG13.jpeg
    IMG13.jpeg
    214.3 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
(y) Hit the green belts, you could probably go anywhere with that thing.

@larz, I want one of those things. Have you had any issues with the cops considering they don't have pedals?

Ideally I'd love to get one for comminuting in town plus some trail adventures.

Where did you buy it? Directly from China or from a local supplier?

looks like a bicycle, so probably passes. Listed as an e-motorcycle though...
surron_black_2__62187.1565647472.jpg

@larz, I want one of those things. Have you had any issues with the cops considering they don't have pedals?

So far no problem with cops. I got the bike from LunaCycle, shipped from US. You have the option to install pedal kit and speed is limited to 32kph out of the box which can be easily reverted. The sur-ron has eco mode and sport mode. I'm always in eco mode when ridding in the city, sport mode when hitting trails. With the pedal kit installed, it's pretty much an ebike. As long you ride responsibly ( no wheelies ), cops won't give you trouble. The only time police talked to me is to recommend not to park this bike outside as it might get stollen. I'm still hoping to register it as moped or limited speed motorcycle, but there is no VIN, not sure how that will play out.

Yea the sur-ron is awesome, a bit pricy since it's electric but worth every penny.

Last edited:
Hey Folks,

Just got my bike couple months ago. It's a hybrid between electric mountain bike and dirt bike, Sur-ron X.

I'm still a newbie, in fact I didn't even know how to ride a bicycle before I purchase the bike. Did some trails in downtown Toronto, mostly mountain bike trails. Would love to do more trails with the riders here.

Cheers.

Hey man. Sorry I dont mean to hate, but you wouldnt be able to keep up with that thing with the rest of us dirt riders...very cool toy tho

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

@Underdog you sure? Depends on terrain I suppose.

Check this video:

It'll definitely go places my KTM 1290R adventure won't (shouldn't) go. LOL

Doesn't it clearly have pedals?

Be careful with the no pedals thing. The fines are very steep - No insurance, No licence, No plates, No registration.

It could really ruin your day.

They are paying more attention now after the high profile E-Bike accidents in the last year or so.

Be careful with the no pedals thing. The fines are very steep - No insurance, No licence, No plates, No registration.

It could really ruin your day.

They are paying more attention now after the high profile E-Bike accidents in the last year or so.
I have pedals installed. With governor and bigger sprocket, top speed is below 32kph so it's an ebike :)

Even cop did pull me over, I have m2 and purchased ebike insurance, so it should be fine. Also working on registering it as moped or LSM for better road acknowledgement.

Last edited:
You need to remove the limiter wire to increase top speed for off road riding. By default you should get about 60kph+ if you remove the limiter. You can also upgrade your motor hub and make that thing do 100kph+ for off road use of course.

but FYI if you get caught doing those speeds on public roads they can only charge you $100 fine for modifying your Ebike and could face impound fees and if kept for 7 days could cost $400. About $500 total cost gone from your pocket for doing anything above 32kph on a straight flat plane level surface.

This YouTuber got caught doing above 32kph on public roads.

I have pedals installed. With governor and bigger sprocket, top speed is below 32kph so it's an ebike :)

Even cop did pull me over, I have m2 and purchased ebike insurance, so it should be fine. Also working on registering it as moped or LSM for better road acknowledgement.

Last edited:
When you modify an ebike to run outside of the ebike regulations it becomes a motorcycle. And will yield you all the related tickets of riding a motorcycle on the roads without licence or insurance. See my earlier response on the topic above.

Ummmm. Yes. Yes, they can.

Ummmm. Yes. Yes, they can.

they told my friend the same **** but in the end it was a $100 fine. Just saying the reality.

happened 1.5 years ago. Recent not 2011. They told my friend same statements by the cops with just a summons to court. He got a $100 fine in the end. He has a legit suspended license too.

I have a good friend in the process of building his own highly modded version.
He wants me to take him out riding where I ride MTB. I’ve told him ”no stay away from bicycle trails it’s not a bicycle“ it won’t be well received out there by the true cycling community that build the trails.
On the other hand if you look at it like an electric dirt bike and take it in the tight trails of the Ganny or similar. I bet it’s an absolute blast to ride.

What I’ve always found is best to ride with similar equipment.
I rode sleds and was on a little 380 when the group was riding 700s & 800s and I could kinda keep up in the woods but not any open areas. It would be difficult for me to keep up with a dirt bike in the Ganny on my adv bike but a DRZ 250 isn’t going to stay with me once we hit pavement on a long ride.
I tried to ride my Harley with a group of sport bikes riding fast. Yup didn’t work.
its always more enjoyable to ride within the intended purpose of a machine with other like minded riders. With some overlap of course.
That said there are members here that could kick my ass on a Harley in the woods even if i had a moto x bike.

Any how nice machine I hope you find others to ride with. I wish I had one.

Back
Top Bottom