New rider looking for a bike | GTAMotorcycle.com

New rider looking for a bike

ACsurge

Hi All

I have been frequenting Kijiji looking for a beginner bike. Looking at the Virago 250 with a 2nd choice of Marauder 250. My issues is I don't have a license and don't have knowledge on these things.

Besides the used vehicle package and getting the bike started what can I do to make sure the bike is in good working order? I don't have a buddy who rides. Anyone I know seems to know less then I do.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

I'm excited to get ridding and looking forward to lessons in the spring.

Thank you

Take a riding school course....or is that what you meant by lessons?

General condition is a good indicator. look for scratches and damage. Easy on bikes. Though a cosmetically damaged bike can run just fine and may be a cheaper way into the hobby. If you see one you like, post up here with general location, maybe someone can check it out for you. That said a test ride is always part of my buying(where an experienced rider helps). Have test rode bikes that looked fine, but a half block down the road it showed it was not road worthy.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Make some new friends that are into bikes?

Where do you live? Find someone knowledgeable to go with you. Pay them back with a case of beer.

We are a pretty tight knit group. Most will bend over backwards to help. Bike shopping is fun.

Bring someone with you that isn't emotionally invested in the purchase. They can talk you out of it if its not the right deal.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Write the M1 asap, book the M2 asap as spots book up fast. Get your gear, they wont let you take the M2 course without it...
start looking into insurance..if your young it will be expensive. Get your M2 then start looking at bikes, no one will insure you with an M1.

When its time to buy, try and see if the seller can get it safetied, there are things to look for when buying a bike to see if its in decent shape, an experienced rider can help you with that.

Where are you located?

UVIP and safety tell you very little about a vehicles condition

apart from damage which can be visually verified
proper maintenance is key to provide reliable riding

so you should be prepared to ask the seller for maintenance history
good owners will keep a notebook or perhaps a spreadsheet with what they've done
they will be more than willing to share, discuss and show you the bike's condition

some may not be that serious about it, but still be able to give you the details verbally
if a seller wants to meet in a Timmies parking lot and is not willing to discuss condition/maintenance
move on and find another one

Just found this link in an older post.
Used Motorcycle Evaluation Guide

Thank you for the quick replies.

Yes I meant riding school course. The scheduled for the new year hasn't been posted for most locations such as Learning Curves.

I'm in Richmond Hill, the bike in Pickering.

I called my insurance broker, although he was able to give me a ball park he suggested to call Riders Plus as I have no experience on a bike. I have had a G for 25 years.

Yes that is the one. Thought it would be good to start off with then maybe move to a V-Star 650 or something similar.
Assuming insurance is cooperative, a Vstar 650 is not a bad starter bike either. Cruisers 750 and down are quite tame. I personally hate the seating position on all of them (I want my feet under me, not out in front) but others obviously don't mind.

I am being told that the 650 will be a high premium. But haven't spoken to Rider Plus as of yet. Just my broker for Home and Car. He admits he doesn't have a lot of experience with insuring bikes.

Perhaps now is a good time to call them

I am being told that the 650 will be a high premium. But haven't spoken to Rider Plus as of yet. Just my broker for Home and Car. He admits he doesn't have a lot of experience with insuring bikes.

Perhaps now is a good time to call them
Make sure they price a 650 cruiser. It probably has half the hp (or less) of a 650 standard.

Yes that is the one. Thought it would be good to start off with then maybe move to a V-Star 650 or something similar.
If you liked sport or adventure style bikes, a 250/300 is a good starting point. For a mature rider with 25 years driving with a G, you might consider skipping the 250 and go straight to the 650 if it's a cruiser you are after - a Vstar 650, Honda Shadow or Suzuki S40 are beginners bikes for most men.

If you're planning to tool around town, a 250 cruiser is all you need, but if you plan any open road riding a midweight cruisers will be easier, more comfortable and likely safer. It also lets you keep the bike a little longer, you might find the 250 feels too-beginner after a thousand klicks.

If you liked sport or adventure style bikes, a 250/300 is a good starting point. For a mature rider with 25 years driving with a G, you might consider skipping the 250 and go straight to the 650 if it's a cruiser you are after - a Vstar 650, Honda Shadow or Suzuki S40 are beginners bikes for most men.

If you're planning to tool around town, a 250 cruiser is all you need, but if you plan any open road riding a midweight cruisers will be easier, more comfortable and likely safer. It also lets you keep the bike a little longer, you might find the 250 feels too-beginner after a thousand klicks.

Thanks Mike for the reply.
I would prefer the 650 rather then the 250.My broker had assumed that the insurance for the 650 would be a lot more. However from Riders Plus the insurance seems to be a lot more acceptable.

As for beginner bike, I agree. However my plan was just to get a "disposable" bike for the first season or two. Not sure what bike wold be the next step.

The Virago 250 twin-cylinder engine is a lot smoother than the Marauder 250's single-cylinder thumper. Also the V-Twin fills the chassis a lot better than the single, if you care about aesthetics.

I do like the look of the V-twin more so.

Thanks Mike for the reply.
I would prefer the 650 rather then the 250.My broker had assumed that the insurance for the 650 would be a lot more. However from Riders Plus the insurance seems to be a lot more acceptable.

As for beginner bike, I agree. However my plan was just to get a "disposable" bike for the first season or two. Not sure what bike wold be the next step.
The nice thing about cruisers in general is they are great for learners.

The steering rake makes them very stable and easy to handle, the high torque makes gear selection forgivable, low HP makes wheel spinning burnouts and wheelies almost impossible, and the low seat height makes them easy to manage when stopped. You trade off some performance, lean angle, and top speed -- fortunately those things are not that important to novice riders.

The low steering rake makes them very stable in a straight line, they are slow to respond to rider inputs and have a brake that feels like leather.
Never mind you don't really want to know that. (y) Have fun with the bike.

If the look of a cruiser appeals to you go for it. Don't let others tell you different.
The 250 virago is a great learner bike, however if you are a full grown man you will likely find more value in the 650 as you will be more likely to keep it longer.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom