New Rider, First bike: Which one??? (Guide to choosing your first ride) | Page 11 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Rider, First bike: Which one??? (Guide to choosing your first ride)

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.
I have checked insurance and ok with it. I have ridden before smaller sized bikes. Was long time ago though.
Other bikes that I considered were 2013 Honda CBR & 2013 Suzuki GW250.
Planning to see the GSX 650F shortly, will def check the tires.

Mind is set on 2011 Suzuki GSX 650F, brand new at a dealer at Dunnville, Haldimand, ON. Brand new bike with 1 year warranty on it. Will go and see it in a week's time. I like this bike due to the fact that it is more upright sitting and not over-whelming power. Plan is to ride mainly in weekends. Any advice/suggestions for me when I go there to see the bike?

If this is your very first bike ever, I would strongly urge you to purchase something a little older and slightly used. You're probably going to drop the bike at one point, and you're going to kick your own *** because you just cracked a fairing on a brand new bike. Do whatever you like but that's my advice!

*edit I see you've rode before...but a while ago. Hopefully you'll be alright then!

A very useful thread. I was not certain whether or not I should purchase a much smaller motorcycle for my first year or so but I am convinced that a 250cc might be the best way to go.

I want to learn to ride well before moving to acquire any other higher level skills.

A very useful thread. I was not certain whether or not I should purchase a much smaller motorcycle for my first year or so but I am convinced that a 250cc might be the best way to go.

I want to learn to ride well before moving to acquire any other higher level skills.
A lot depends on you, what you want out of a bike and sometimes your size. Throw in there what style of bike it is that you like and sometimes a 250 would be too small.... lots of variables.

Well, turns out everyone else seems to know me better than I know myself. :0) It has been suggested that I try and find an older 500cc --better for the new mature rider who plans to ride frequently and hates shopping....

I have seen a few and I think that it might be ok for me to find a small 500cc. I was just worrying about the weight and what happens if I drop it or it falls on its own and I need to lift it up by myself.....

Can you provide more detail? I was considering this as a potential model until i read through this forum. I don't want to be saddle with a lemon as I don't have the time and money to spend on repairs, especially during the first few months of ownership...

From all my research I'm torn on a ninja or CBR for my first bike. 250-300 class. I wanted a naked sport-styled
bike but most of the naked bikes out there aren't the style I'm looking for. I considered the Suzuki GW250 but it seems to be sluggish according to the reviews, so it's out.

From all my research I'm torn on a ninja or CBR for my first bike. 250-300 class. I wanted a naked sport-styled
bike but most of the naked bikes out there aren't the style I'm looking for. I considered the Suzuki GW250 but it seems to be sluggish according to the reviews, so it's out.

The Honda CB300F is a nice looking bike. Same drivetrain and its fully faired brethren:

The CB500F is more of the same.

I think either bike would be a great for a new and/or returning rider. I have thought about the CB500F even for myself as a next bike.

But everything I read esp for safety, discourages anything over 250-300cc for a new rider.

The big thing people frown upon is new riders going onto 600cc sport bikes. A 600cc to 750cc cruiser is a different animal than a 100HP plus 600cc sports bike. The CB500F is 47HP and is marketed and ridden by new/newish riders all over the world. The CB500F would be a great starter bike for anybody. Yes, it has more power than the CB300 but compared to a 600cc supersport it is a whole different animal.

My $0.02:

I had never ridden a bike or sled or anything before I did my course to get my M2 5 years ago. Best decision I could have made was doing the course before riding. Going in I was dead set on a cruiser type of bike... coming out I knew I had to get a sport bike lol. You get to try different models and feel the difference... the CBR125 at the course was way peppier than the 250CC Marauder and handled completely differently... the higher displacement cruiser felt much more stable, slower, etc... and a whole lot less fun. Also, I found when looking at used bikes that getting more displacement in a cruiser was more expensive compared to sportbikes (I weigh about 200lbs and was planning on lots of hwy riding, so wanted at least 500cc sportbike or a 750cc cruiser was suggested to me, though a 500cc cruiser probably would have been fine).

Anyway, I bought a Ninja 500, used, inexpensive because it had some dings (and I added a ton more lol), so I ended up just paying for horsepower that I would use, not for farkles that meant nothing to me, not for performance I didn't know how to handle, not for depreciation. I fully support new riders starting off on a midrange sport touring type bike, used, as their first.

Any thoughts on the new yamaha r3 as a first bike?
Seems price is a pro but no abs version...
R

Revzilla just gave this bike a great sounding review, I was impressed with what the tester had to say. Never had ABS, so don't know how much you'd be missing without it.

This is a wonderful resource!

I learned to ride many years ago on a Kawasaki KE 100. At the time I thought it was a very light and useless bike and all my friends and cousins made fun of how small it looked with me riding it however, I quickly learned to appreciate the confidence it gave me and how quickly my riding skills and technique improved. I then upgraded to a KE 175 which for the country I lived in at the time was considered a heavy bike and rare to find. I really loved my KE 175 and even though I nearly died in a collision while riding it, I always had fond memories of those times so when I came to Canada and was able to, I picked up a Honda VFR 800 which I kept for a year or so and sold - biggest mistake I ever made because I always maintained the riding itch and regretted the decision to sell my VFR.

A few years later, I came back to riding but this time went back to Kawasaki and my dual sport roots and bought a KLR 650. Got the bike nicely farkled only to trade it in for a BMW F8GS which I took back to the farkling shop so that it too could get farkled!. Had a wonderful time riding the F8GS and last year picked up my current bikes; R12GSA and S1KRR....I love these bikes and am positive that I would not have developed this passion for riding had I not learned to ride on a smaller, more manageable bike.

As luck would have it, one of my family members have recently got their M1 so I am currently looking for a 250/300 cc bike for them. This discussion as well as some of the other discussions in GTAM about buying used bikes are an invaluable resource.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I sat on the cb500f at one of the last shows and really liked the feel. Love my bike, but if I had to get another, the cb500f would be a contender.

Question for people that have been around here longer: Why do new riders who want a sport bike always want a 600? Not judging, just curious as to why 600 is always thrown around? I never see "new to riding, looking for a Ninja 500" (they have those, right? Lol) Maybe I don't understand because I have never wanted an SS.

The Final Decision: Buell Blast--I bought from a kind couple who have only recently decided to upgrade their bikes for a little more 'umphf.

I have a great deal to learn and this bike seems to be up for the challenge (she took care of her first owner for more than five years..). As it is, I am trying to track down an owners manual or something to help me familiarize myself with my 'New Girl'--
lots of enthusiasts on YouTube but I am old school and like to have something in hand (or on a tablet-- mature yes, but I do live in 2015...:p I'd even welcome a Coles Notes version if someone has one to share ( Did I just suddenly give my age away? Do they still publish?

The purchase was easy; now the learning begins.

Feels good to be 'geeked' about learning something new and exciting!

Ah, the good `ol Coles Notes. I got my 1st bike in my mid forties an having a blast. Verity, the bike looks like a good choice - enjoy!

The Final Decision: Buell Blast--I bought from a kind couple who have only recently decided to upgrade their bikes for a little more 'umphf.

I have a great deal to learn and this bike seems to be up for the challenge (she took care of her first owner for more than five years..). As it is, I am trying to track down an owners manual or something to help me familiarize myself with my 'New Girl'--
lots of enthusiasts on YouTube but I am old school and like to have something in hand (or on a tablet-- mature yes, but I do live in 2015...:p I'd even welcome a Coles Notes version if someone has one to share ( Did I just suddenly give my age away? Do they still publish?

The purchase was easy; now the learning begins.

Feels good to be 'geeked' about learning something new and exciting!

Depends on your maturity and self confidence. I went straight into an 800cc sport/tourer and have felt comfortable right from the beginning. I ride within my abilities and am enjoying my bike.

Back
Top Bottom