New rear Tire | GTAMotorcycle.com

New rear Tire

R1special

Hey, Im not really sure if this is technical with most people on here but for me it is lol
I need to replace my rear tire soon, 03 r1 Yamaha, and Im really not sure which tires/brands are good. Also $$$ im looking for affordable prices nothing to crazy.
Any advice is much appreciated thanks.

Hey, Im not really sure if this is technical with most people on here but for me it is lol
I need to replace my rear tire soon, 03 r1 Yamaha, and Im really not sure which tires/brands are good. Also $$$ im looking for affordable prices nothing to crazy.
Any advice is much appreciated thanks.

Is this a serious question? It's like "What colour of bike is best?"

If you want serious responses, your gonna need to post the kind of riding you do...
How many trackdays do you expect to do with these tires?
Will you frequently ride in the rain?
How many kms do you want them to last?
How large of a chicken strip, if any, do you typically have - I only ask cause it may assist in choosing between a dual compound or single compound tire.

There is no ultimate tire that grips best in all conditions and has longevity and is cheap. Everything is a trade-off

Is this a serious question? It's like "What colour of bike is best?"

If you want serious responses, your gonna need to post the kind of riding you do...
How many trackdays do you expect to do with these tires?
Will you frequently ride in the rain?
How many kms do you want them to last?
How large of a chicken strip, if any, do you typically have - I only ask cause it may assist in choosing between a dual compound or single compound tire.

There is no ultimate tire that grips best in all conditions and has longevity and is cheap. Everything is a trade-off

Hey thanks for the reply, and apologize if my question didnt sound serious. This is my 1st time owning a bike and really dont know to much.
Ok so to answer your questions: I ride for pleasure no track or anything like that.
I try to avoid rain as much as possible.
Kms wise the more the better.
I bought this bike used, so it has chicken strips although im not sure how much I contributed to them. But there are about a 1/4 of an inch.

I also understand everything is a trade off, and wont find a quote unquote perfect tire.

Replace both tires, the front is even more important than the rear. BT016's work well and are cheap, and there are Michelins that go for $330 or so for a pair. You should be going for more sport and less touring in a tire, if are looking for longer mileage you really have to consider why you bought an R1. Anyway, having said that you could get Pilot Road 3's or Metzeler Z8's but they will cost more than the sport tires I mentioned above. Talk to Dave or Glen at Parker Brothers, they carry most brands and are pretty straightforward on the differences. Good luck.

Thanks, the mileage I just figure longer is better for the wallet. Not that I regret the R1 at all or why i bought it. I will google those tires mentioned, read reviews n such. But sport tires are defiantly the direction I would like to go.
Again thanks for your advice much appreciated +1

Any other advice or comments would help as well.

Just came across this not bad video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz6wfNZ3J0A&feature=related

Last edited:
I vote for Pilot road 2's

got them for 300 shipped from petes superbike.

Long life, lotsa grip, good in rain.

Would go for these unless you are going to the track.

Pilot Road 3, virtually same as 2, but designed with improved wet traction in mind. Have them on the bike and they are scrubbed down to the sidewall.

Considering we are entering fall, these would be my choice

Attachments

• IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Thanks 4 al the input guys. Tire sizes are Front 120/70 ZR17 M/c 58W, Rear 190/50 ZR17 M/C73W (Michelin Pilot road)
Pics below. Im thinking just doing the rear since the front looks pretty good. Maybe do 1 front every 2 rears. I guess it makes sense to stick with Michelin, so ill probably end up getting Michelin pilot power 2ct. ( http://www.powersports.ca/eshopprod_cat_5047-52877_product_1122646.MICHELIN_PILOT_POWER_2CT_1905.htm)

What are the pictures of?

I see a pilot power front tire - almost worn out in the center, & a Pilot road rear tire, worn out in the center. Is this the current mix of tires you have right now on the bike?

What's the tread depth of that front tire? Looks like only 3 or 4 32'nds in the center.

Yes these are the current tires on the bike. As of the tread of the front tire I will check 1st thing tomorrow morning. Again thanks 4 every1s input really helps.

I would run a pilot power in the rear as well....

What are the pictures of?

I see a pilot power front tire - almost worn out in the center, & a Pilot road rear tire, worn out in the center. Is this the current mix of tires you have right now on the bike?

What's the tread depth of that front tire? Looks like only 3 or 4 32'nds in the center.

Ok so here the pic of the front tire with a penny, not sure how to measure 3 or 4's stuff.

But it does look like I might as well get both front and rear. The penny thing convinced me :)

Attachments

• IMG_00061.jpg
    IMG_00061.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Ok so here the pic of the front tire with a penny, not sure how to measure 3 or 4's stuff.

But it does look like I might as well get both front and rear. The penny thing convinced me :)

The aspect ratio in your picture is severely distorted....

I fixed it for you here.
fixed.jpg

I'd say your front tire is completely worn out. FYI, there are wear indicators located in some of the tread grooves

Thanks Mike n N3wman, I actually bought 2 (http://www.powersports.ca) Pilot 2cts today getting them installed this Saturday. I really needed them done, don't wanna take any chances, plus got my M exam coming up at the end of the month. I just read some posts about that tread indicator mike, thanks.

Again thanks for everyone's opinions, as I learned from them as well

Pffff, there's plenty of thread left in that tire :D

For best $/km value, you gotta go down to the belts. :lmao:

Thats what I do. No, seriously.

For the front, when it gets bald

Back
Top Bottom