New middle age member | GTAMotorcycle.com

New middle age member

JazzMotto

Hi Guys,
New here. I'm a late 40's guy who decided that I should try Motorcycling. I just got my M1 and looking forward to take my safety course(waiting for lock down to be over). I'm around 5 9- 5-10.

I like standard/ naked bikes, scramblers and retro style bikes. So far I like Triumph Trident, it's perfect package for modern features, power and retro looks. However, I will not buy it for my first bike. For the first I will get something between 250-400cc range probably used.

So here is my intro. I'm looking forward to learn a lot from you guys about this great passion.

Oh yes thanks for the great advice. What are some good stores to protective gear at reasonable prices. I'm in Markham.
My honest opinion. There are sometimes specialy deals going. Keep an eye out for No taxes. Most stores do no shipping fees. However, for a new rider it is best to try and see what fits. Tough at these times. Matter of calling the store and see what there protocol is. Remeber sayings like "$10 helmet, $10 dollar head. Go through the forums here there are loads of great riders that can also help keep you informed.
Nothing good comes of skimping out on safety gear.
When you are sliding etc it is a bit late to say, "If only"
Hope you never have to use it. It is your Insurance instead of having skin grafted from you bum to your face.
Good Luck and bottoms up..

Yes great advices. I will keep an eye on sales and buy one by one. I do t need to buy everything right away. There are no classes yet.

welcome,
naked bikes are the best, lots of usable power, good ergos, sporting performance and better insurance than SS

If you want a naked starter bike, take a look at the duke 390, or cb500

though there other options out there as well

Welcome. You can find reasonable gear at Royal in Whitby, Cycleworld at McCowan and Shepused to carry a ton of good quality close outs, not sure if they are open for business yet.

Fortnine.com has reasonably priced stuff too.

A small bike is a great start, used 250-300s are inexpensive and if you keep one in good order you can ride it for 2 years and resell without losing money. Also save you a small fortune in insurance.

Hope you enjoy your new “passion”.

Welcome to the forum and to motorcycling.

There are many stores around as mentioned above.
I would think that GP Bikes and Royal would have the largest selection in one place. But they do NOT have everything. Their stock and sizes will run out as the season progresses.

Check out Revzilla.com. They have great reviews for pretty much every piece of clothing and safety gear they sell.
Very informative, un-biased review. US version of FortNine. (unaffiliated)

There are also a lot of used gear available on line but you need a starting point of size and style. You don't want to be driving from one sellers house to another just trying gear on.

Either way. Better to look silly and safe than like a squid.

Last edited:
Welcome to the site and to riding!

Like others have mentioned, proper gear is more important than the bike you choose as your first. Smart choice to start with small displacement but the ground doesn't care how many cc you have if you inadvertently meet it up close.

Be weary of ordering online, the sizing between brands is all over the place...I have three jackets from different brands, one is medium, one large and one XL they all fit the same. Two pairs of boots from alpinestars, both euro size 44 but one says 9.5US the other is 11US....use the size charts, read the reviews re.: fitment and know the exchange/return policy in advance.

Good luck, have fun and don't be shy to ask questions, except for what oil to use...

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Yes as you guys suggested. I will buy the protective gear in store since I don't know what sizes fit me. Once I know my size then it might be better to buy online. I will check the stores mentioned here and see which ones are open. Thanks a lot again.

Last edited:
Welcome to GTAM.

Most online retailers have good return policies as well as how to measure for fitment. I would start with browsing their websites, see what "style" you like that suits your budget and go from there. Either to order online or have a good reference when you walk into a store. This will save you loads of time and frustration.

If you can get your hands on some VIN numbers you could start the process of what insurance will be for your first motorcyle, just explain to the broker what you are doing and they should be able to assist you.

Being proactive keeps you invested in this great past time as well as knowledgable and hopefully that leads to good decisions.

Lastly, don't try to have 100% or every little detail covered before you even start, learning some tips and tricks along the way is how we all learned.
Like any forum this one is filled with "experts" but they did not start out that way..

Have fun, ride safe!

Normally I suggest buying brand name gear used ( except helmet) but covid might make that impractical. I'm still using my second hand Joe Rocket mesh some 20 years on. Good boots with ankle protection are high on the must have list and motorcycle specific gloves.
Trying on gear at local dealers then buying online is bit "not on" - at least give the local dealer a shot at price matching within 10%. PM'd you.

Back
Top Bottom