New dumb question - passing tech for no coolant | GTAMotorcycle.com

New dumb question - passing tech for no coolant

TwistedKestrel

King of GTAM
Site Supporter
I was merrily flushing the cooling system on my CB919 (coolant removal or not, it was due either way), thinking about how it was a bit annoying since the rad cap is tucked under the fuel tank...

...then I got to wondering - how will the tech inspector actually verify that there is no coolant in there? If they also want to peer directly down the rad cap orifice, then does that mean I need to be prepared to pop the fuel tank? Do they bleed the cooling system a tiny bit? Just look in the overflow tank and call it a day?

First they will look in the overflow tank for colour.
If you give them any other reason to, they can make you take everything apart.
Its in your own best interest to flush the system completely, anti-freeze is very slippery and you'll be the first one to find out if it leaks.
In other words, don't be a dick - do it right.

To be clear, I'm not asking to try and be sneaky - I'm just wondering how/if to be prepared to facilitate the inspection

coolant is slippery like ice. removal AND a good flushing out of the coolant system is a MUST DO for the track.

not a stupid question at all; its for the safety of everyone on track, not just yourself.

once you have all traces of coolant out of the cooling system - you can add "water wetter" to the water and it isn't slippery. straight water isn't recommended, nor good for the water pump

Last edited:
Engine ice is also acceptable correct? And can be left in the bike year round?
do not leave in the bike at freezing temps...
EDIT- I thought (incorrectly) engine ice was the same type of product as water wetter. I stand corrected. thx all who corrected me. it is not suitable for td's

Last edited:
No not at all just as bad as regular coolant.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk
So why would someone use it? Heat/freeze seems to be similar to glycol, slipperiness is similar to glycol, why? Just to be different? Some tracks allow it because it's not Glycol?

I've never had my rad or reservoir inspected during tech.

I think the organizers just entrust everyone to not be ***** and ruin the day for everyone else if you ice the track.

Engine Ice is still glycol - it is just propylene glycol instead of the regular ethylene glycol. Less toxic and is supposed to transfer heat better (seems to be highly debatable). Some trackdays allow Engine ice - seems most of the lapping days in Ontario don't.

Water Wetter is an additive that is supposed to add rust/corrosion protection and increase lubrication (helps the water pump). Most trackdays will allow it with distilled water.

RE: tech inspection for coolant. I've only been to one trackday so i'm no authority - but the only question the guy asked me was whats in the radiator and he also took a quick look at the overflow fill window. I'm sure they are more skeptical of newbies on street bikes than dedicated track bikes. I'd imagine most of it is trust based - and if you do go down and dump coolant don't expect to be riding that track again.

The early 1098 models necessitated removal of a ton of bodywork to get at anything. Tech inspection trusted people until some donkey lied and lowsided hard in t1 Mosport. Ruined everyone's Saturday. From that day on, samples came from the rad.

The early 1098 models necessitated removal of a ton of bodywork to get at anything. Tech inspection trusted people until some donkey lied and lowsided hard in t1 Mosport. Ruined everyone's Saturday. From that day on, samples came from the rad.
It seems reasonable that if you lie to get through tech and then cause the day to get cancelled, the tab for the day goes on your credit card. You're much less likely to lie if you are looking at a potential $20,000+ penalty.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I won't worry about it too much then. And to absolutely clear, I am indeed thoroughly flushing out the rad with water, and will be adding a Water Wetter-type surfactant

Engine ice is also acceptable correct? And can be left in the bike year round?

Engine Ice is NOT acceptable. It is still "glycol" but a different type.

Some years ago, the company that sells it bought their way into one (possibly more) of the American series by becoming a sponsor, and thus essentially buying a change in the rulebook, on the grounds that "it isn't ethylene glycol". I don't know how, or if, that series addressed the nasty tendency of the stuff to still be extremely slippery if it escaped onto the pavement. But money talked, and it led to a persistent impression in some circles that it is acceptable for use. It isn't.

Engine Ice is NOT acceptable. It is still "glycol" but a different type.

Some years ago, the company that sells it bought their way into one (possibly more) of the American series by becoming a sponsor, and thus essentially buying a change in the rulebook, on the grounds that "it isn't ethylene glycol". I don't know how, or if, that series addressed the nasty tendency of the stuff to still be extremely slippery if it escaped onto the pavement. But money talked, and it led to a persistent impression in some circles that it is acceptable for use. It isn't.

Good to know, there goes $70 bucks down the coolant drain in my ninja. When I was filling my rad the other day I was thinking how it felt extremely slippery and thought that this can’t be any better than ethyl glycol. There are a lot of "resources" online and shops that advertise it as track safe. Couple places in Toronto and in Kingston told me to run engine ice if I wanted to do the occasional track day

Thanks for the replies everyone! I won't worry about it too much then. And to absolutely clear, I am indeed thoroughly flushing out the rad with water, and will be adding a Water Wetter-type surfactant

Make sure you flush with clear, distilled water at least 3x before filling with the distilled water / water wetter combo.
The first 2 fills and drains will still clearly show a green tint - no bueno!!!

Couple years ago a person at TMP crashed, and spilled coolant all over the hairpin... think there was like 8 or 9 crashes later in the day due to that. Person claimed that there was no coolant... they lied... wrecked the day for a ton of people and cost a poop ton of repairs for the subsequent crashers...

Back
Top Bottom