New ducati monster | GTAMotorcycle.com

New ducati monster

bigpoppa

Looks like they took the hypermotard engine and put it in a MUCH lighter chassis, this one will replace the 821 I think

Not a fan of the looks though, the front looks like an mv agusta, and it has a traditional swingarm now, still 18 kilos is a lot less

Also appreciate the quick shifter as standard

IMO, the design of the Monster peaked with the S4RS.

6a067767a96d10f5105d81c17088567f.jpg

Looks like they took the hypermotard engine and put it in a MUCH lighter chassis, this one will replace the 821 I think

Not a fan of the looks though, the front looks like an mv agusta, and it has a traditional swingarm now, still 18 kilos is a lot less

Also appreciate the quick shifter as standard

Agree. Less weight should make it a fun ride but in the looks department its a meh. No simple cues that you are looking at a Ducati. It could easy be any other brand. When you look a bit closer, you can see the L engine, but black on black makes that pretty subtle. A red outline or something would have made it more distinctive at a glance.

I love it. I’ve always been a big fan of the monster, this one isn’t the best looking but the lighter weight and better motor are ️. I may have found my next ride!

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

I love it. I’ve always been a big fan of the monster, this one isn’t the best looking but the lighter weight and better motor are ️. I may have found my next ride!

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

apex is great for test rides, try all the middleweights out and see!

Ducati design copied the Suzuki Gladius. Great job guys. LOL
I am a huge Ducati fan, but they have slowly been getting rid of everything that has made them unique, except for the price. No more trellis frames, desmodromic valves and belts are also disappearing. This will end up being a great bike, but not a true Ducati anymore. BMW has been doing the same with their M cars by making them more mainstream in technology and manufacturing while increasing the prices.

Having purchased a 2019 Monster 821 last year, I am glad I didn't wait for this 2021 version.
While I had limited exposure to Ducati's, I converted from a Harley cruiser and traded against the Monster because I needed something smaller and less "Harley".
The Italian street fighter's style was something different than bikes in the same class from Yamaha, Kawasaki, etc.

This new release feels like a departure (to me) from what made the Monster cool and unique.
The specs are attractive, the styling, not so much.

Last edited:
Having purchased a 2019 Monster 821 last year, I am glad I didn't wait for this 2021 version.
While I had limited exposure to Ducati's, I converted from a Harley cruiser and traded against the Monster because I needed something smaller and less "Harley".
The Italian street fighter's style was something different than bikes in the same class from Yamaha, Kawasaki, etc.

This new release feels like a departure (to me) from what made the Monster cool and unique.
The specs are attractive, the styling, not so much.

thankfully I think this new monster is only replacing the 821, you can still get the entry level or the 1200 if you want something more sexy and stylish

Bigpoppa,

Ducati always starts a design change with one bike and then follows up the rest when they are due for a refresh, as they need to have all the Monsters look similar for branding purposes, so expect the rest to have this look. As I previously stated, I am not happy with the direction of Ducati which is why all of mine are older with the parts that make them special. Same as BMW, where I have been faithful for almost 20 years and I will not be subscribing to their new machines since they keep cutting costs and increasing prices while using the performance name they have built on to make current sales.

I won't be buying anything from Audi motorcycle works any time soon. They just look generic Ducati used to have a specific look that has been lost hopefully ktm doesn't go this direction as well.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

I think it looks great....but I think a trellis frame would look even nicer. But I'm just a keyboard jockey who'll never buy one anyway.

It's fine line between keeping the things that make a company unique and sticking with old technology long past the sell-by date just because it looks a certain way. Ducati does not want to become Harley Davidson, I'm pretty sure.

The end of this Cycle World piece does a nice bit of editorializing:

2021 Ducati Monster Ditches Signature Style for the Better

The key line is this: "Make no mistake, Ducati hung on to the trellis frame for so long because it really works. Heck, it took the engineers in Borgo Panigale several decades to come up with something they truly considered superior. But using a given technology for any reason other than because it’s better from a functional standpoint transforms it into a design element and a fashion statement. That path becomes a slippery slope. Moving on from the trellis frame means Ducati is planting its feet on terra firma."

They also reference how the original Monster reflected their top-line race bikes in it's functional design, and that this one does the same.

The problem for Ducati is that Miguel Galluzzi doesn't work there anymore, and the whole 'naked' ethos that the Monster helped create has become ubiquitous across almost every manufacturer. It's awfully difficult to break any new ground in the segment without resorting to some of the over-design coming from brands like MV.

gets me thinking those old air cooled dry clutch monsters are going to be worth big money soon

With any luck as the model progresses they will add some of the design features that made the old one beautiful, like the single sided swingarm.
I know I'm in the minority here, as I'm not a big fan of single sided swingarms. To me, you trade one side looking better for the other looking worse, and there's a small performance trade-off. There's a reason the Ducati GP bikes don't have them.

Then again, I think the RC30 is the prettiest bike ever made, so I'm a ball of contradictions...

gets me thinking those old air cooled dry clutch monsters are going to be worth big money soon

A friend owns a Sport Classic. He's very happy with the current value, especially considering he picked his up at a large discount when new because the dealerships couldn't give them away. Scarcity is a peculiar motivator...

I know I'm in the minority here, as I'm not a big fan of single sided swingarms. To me, you trade one side looking better for the other looking worse, and there's a small performance trade-off. There's a reason the Ducati GP bikes don't have them.

Then again, I think the RC30 is the prettiest bike ever made, so I'm a ball of contradictions...
Apples to oranges!

Back
Top Bottom