New computer first world problems | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New computer first world problems

For those of you bored at home and have run out of things to watch on Netflix, I can't recommend setting up a home media server enough.

Number of guides available online, but the basic gist is you setup the following programs on any computer you have, preferably one that is on all of the time. Once setup, it just runs in the background and you don't really have to do anything outside of add new TV Shows/Movies that you want. Once a new episode/movie is released, it will be automatically downloaded through a selected download client (torrent/usenet). Depending on your settings, it will automatically upgrade the quality when available.

- Sonarr, will automatically download TV Series that you tell it to.
- Radarr, will automatically download Movies that you tell it to.
- Plex Media Server will share your library to a Plex client that is setup with your account. It can also transcode to a lower quality if your network quality won't play the full quality.

Most smart tv's have a plex client, you can put it on your phone, tablet, laptop, etc. You can also share your library with friends through Plex.

For those of you bored at home and have run out of things to watch on Netflix, I can't recommend setting up a home media server enough.

Funny, was just researching this.

Still in the early stages though. My idea is to build a Raspberry Pi Plex Media Server. Anyone done this? Thoughts on storage? Directly connect a drive via USB to the server, or read from a NAS? Latency issues?

Any opinions welcome.

Been running a media server from my NAS for a while. Does the download duties overnight if I need it to. Checked out Plex it's good, but didn't like it that much. Preferred servii instead.

I guess we are all consuming lots of content these days.

Funny, was just researching this.

Still in the early stages though. My idea is to build a Raspberry Pi Plex Media Server. Anyone done this? Thoughts on storage? Directly connect a drive via USB to the server, or read from a NAS? Latency issues?

Any opinions welcome.

I tried that with a Pi3 awhile back
little puter didn't have the jam to be a server
Plex is great but resource heavy

ended up buying a proper NAS box that runs linux and Plex server
works really well

the little Pi box does make a good Plex client though - RasPlex OS on it

RPi's are cool, but are annoyingly underpowered. If you don't need transcoding, I love Chromebox's. Intel Celeron CPU, 4gb ram, ssd drive, minimal power and space usage, cost around $50-100 from ebay/Kijiji/etc. Perfect to throw Linux on and let it run in the background.

My current setup is a Lenovo Tiny with an i7, cost about $200 off Kijiji, similar power and size benefits as a Chromebox, but can transcode a 4k stream.

I have run both a drive connected to the server and currently a NAS. Either option works just fine.

Was also thinking of having the NAS and the TV Ethernet connected on the same local hub instead of having both connect wirelessly. Seems like a lot of multimedia traffic to be pumping through wifi.

I would assume it depends on your router, I have NAS and server connected through ethernet. Primary player is a FireStick 4K through wifi. Plays big 4K files without a problem.

I agree with regder

assuming you have a server device cabable of flooding the router
the router itself is going to be the bottleneck, wether eth or wireless to the clients

my NAS is eth to the router, gigabit connection
then wifi to most of the clients
NAS runs Plex and DLNA servers simultaneously - same folders

sys is able to provide 4K video to 2 Plex clients over wireless
and one TV - LG POS, doesn't do well with Plex so it runs a DLNA client
never any issues but have set client buffers to run for a bit just in case of the occasional wifi fart

one of those ISP provided modem/router combos is unlikkely to work for this
need to have your own quality router and know how to tweak it a bit

Nice GPU! CPU... I still prefer Intel, but that could be changing.
Yeah, Intel has dominated forever. I believe my last AMD CPU was my K6-2 333mhz with 3DNOW! :D

The new Ryzen is very impressive, kudos to Lisa Su (AMD CEO) for bringing AMD from the brink 5 years ago.

As for the GPU, i was really waffling on a 2080 Super but at this point you`re paying $300 per 10ish fps, need to draw the line somewhere.

Last edited:
Cool tool!

This is mine for the new laptop:

userbenchmark.jpg

When I initially ran it, I got a Gaming Score of 16%.

Then I noticed it was defaulting to the onboard Intel graphics card, so I forced it to use the GTX 1060 which yielded 45%. Respectable for an older laptop.

I've been running Doom Eternal at 1080p Ultra. Seems pretty smooth.

Last edited:
Nice GPU! CPU... I still prefer Intel, but that could be changing.

Intel has royally ****** themselves until at least 2021. They've openly said they can't ramp up 7nm production. AMD CPUs beat Intel on multi-threaded performance without contest.

The most common use case for recommending Intel is 1080p gaming @ 144hz or higher because single threaded performance bottlenecks the # of frames being thrown by the GPU no matter how powerful the GPU is but we're also looking at a 1080 Ti, 2080 Super or 2080 Ti with an i7 8700k at minimum. Also the user has to actually be able to see the framerates hovering between 100-144+....this is really niche.

Also @Evoex, welcome to the RGB family. Every RGB device adds 5% compounded FPS!

Intel has royally ****** themselves until at least 2021. They've openly said they can't ramp up 7nm production. AMD CPUs beat Intel on multi-threaded performance without contest.

The most common use case for recommending Intel is 1080p gaming @ 144hz or higher because single threaded performance bottlenecks the # of frames being thrown by the GPU no matter how powerful the GPU is but we're also looking at a 1080 Ti, 2080 Super or 2080 Ti with an i7 8700k at minimum. Also the user has to actually be able to see the framerates hovering between 100-144+....this is really niche.

Also @Evoex, welcome to the RGB family. Every RGB device adds 5% compounded FPS!
New Ryzen crushes single core, I'm gaming at 1440p @165hz.

.2020-04-04.png

New Ryzen crushes single core, I'm gaming at 1440p @165hz.

.View attachment 42488

That's 1440p

Higher the resolution, fewer the frames, and less hammering on CPU. This is game dependent to an extent though, some dev groups just don't care about threading lol

Mind you, I prefer AMD right now, I'm just also aware of why Intel is used.

So i caved and decided to spring for the 2080ti afterall, wanted my 30 extra fps. Price to performance value is pretty much out the window at this level. Oh well, we only live once right?

On another note, the GPU market is crazy.

So i caved and decided to spring for the 2080ti afterall, wanted my 30 extra fps. Price to performance value is pretty much out the window at this level. Oh well, we only live once right?

On another note, the GPU market is crazy.

Wtf man lol

Congrats tho. I'm still sitting on a 1080 Ti

Back
Top Bottom